Jaguar XJR (X300 6 cy) prices vs condition on the continent?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Per

Jaguar XJR (X300 6 cy) prices vs condition on the continent?

Post by Per »

Jents, these are rare in Norway. Looking at Autoscout24 there some around 7k euro with high mileages, but well maintained they can cover intergalactic distances so not worried.What can I really expect wrt condition? (I want opinions from outside the Jag community also.) With covid19 traipsing all over Europe is not on.
Per
Not only English cars these days, an Italian is part of the stable again 8)
DavidM

Re: Jaguar XJR (X300 6 cy) prices vs condition on the contin

Post by DavidM »

Hello Per,

Don't recognise this Jaguar name, but I own a 2005 X-Type diesel Estate which now has 150,000 miles on the clock. It runs very well and on a long run I achieve over
600 miles on a full tank. When I was in full time employment I owned 3 of the same model and never had a problem. Like all mechanical beasts, as long as correct maintenance is carried out they are bullet proof.

A photo of the car would be useful.

regards

David
Per

Post by Per »

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (27.47 KiB) Viewed 5262 times
The supercharged version
Per
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Ah, now I recognise it, part of the original XJ6 family. There are still a lot of them about, shouldn't go wrong with one of those.

Good luck
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

A friend had one a few years ago that he had to scrap due to rust underneath, it looked perfect on top apart from stone chips but underneath the mounts for the rear axle were all moving due to corrosion. He did get a quote to have it repaired but it was going to cost more than it was worth. In the end it went on Ebay and he got a reasonable figure for it from someone who was going to repair it.

If I remember correctly the electrical system had a mind of its own, doors that would not lock on the central locking one day but would be find the next, same with the windows.

On a big plus it was an amazing mile muncher, you could be doing 100mph and it felt like 50mph in a lesser car. Very comfortable and he was truly sad to see it go.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Grant

Post by Grant »

:D I've just cut the roof of off one, it has the steel pan sunroof in it, we are hoping to graft more or less the whole roof onto my Interceptor doing away the original roof as it has a Webasto in it..Obviously absolutely no help to your question though Per :? .. I think they are beautiful cars, but I think the best ones were before 1992 which I believe is when Ford took over and replaced many of the metal parts with plastic.. well that's what the chap told me that I got my complete roof from..he was referring to the sunroof workings but I got the feeling he was also meaning other parts on the car too :roll:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I have a ‘95 XJS convertible (or should I say Cabriolet) and it also has haunted electronics.

Voltmeter doesn’t work, “idiot” lights flash on and off at the on the dashboard, anti-skid fault light used to come on randomly (that has stopped), gas tank sender that gives erratic and erroneous readings....

But it’s just a car, and if you know a little bit about it, you get used to it’s quirks.

I’ve jot the AJ16 4 liter straight 6, with the ZF transmission.

Mine is my daily driver, good looking, stylish and smooth......

Remind you of anyone?

Rocky
Note the other Jaguar in the background
Note the other Jaguar in the background
6E7C63CD-6049-47CB-BED5-CD5663DC384B.jpeg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Per

Post by Per »

Grant wrote::D I've just cut the roof of off one, it has the steel pan sunroof in it, we are hoping to graft more or less the whole roof onto my Interceptor doing away the original roof as it has a Webasto in it..Obviously absolutely no help to your question though Per :? .. I think they are beautiful cars, but I think the best ones were before 1992 which I believe is when Ford took over and replaced many of the metal parts with plastic.. well that's what the chap told me that I got my complete roof from..he was referring to the sunroof workings but I got the feeling he was also meaning other parts on the car too :roll:
Good point Grant, the 2008 XF diesel that I bought with 6000km on the clock is my workhorse and it has only let me down twice (EGR valve in Germany and) plastic cooling part in the middle of nowhere in Norway. That was fun, no mobile coverage, no traffic and having to stop every 3km to fill a 0.3litre bottle umpteen times in a meandering creek to top up coolant.

I also replaced the leaking plastic thermostat housing on my XK8 this summer, aluminium replacement.

How much plastic did Ford introducecin the AJ16 compared to the AJ6 (I know that one well having bought back my old 40 for my youngest daughter a few years ago).
Per
Keith

Post by Keith »

Per wrote:
Grant wrote: How much plastic did Ford introducecin the AJ16 compared to the AJ6 .
I think that's a bit of a myth. It's generally accepted that quality was better once Ford got involved.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Per

Post by Per »

In general yes Keith. But e.g. XF got the Ford/Volvo doorlocks that are crap, plastic cooling bits are barely good enough for use in throwaway Fords, diff was a crap Ford item that Jag replaced under warranty 5 years+ including new driveshafts of GKN design once free of Fords beancounters. As I said initially the cars go on and on with proper maintenance but there are bound to be weak points turning up as they age.
Per
Per

Post by Per »

Steve Payne wrote:A friend had one a few years ago that he had to scrap due to rust underneath, it looked perfect on top apart from stone chips but underneath the mounts for the rear axle were all moving due to corrosion. He did get a quote to have it repaired but it was going to cost more than it was worth. In the end it went on Ebay and he got a reasonable figure for it from someone who was going to repair it.

If I remember correctly the electrical system had a mind of its own, doors that would not lock on the central locking one day but would be find the next, same with the windows.

On a big plus it was an amazing mile muncher, you could be doing 100mph and it felt like 50mph in a lesser car. Very comfortable and he was truly sad to see it go.

Steve
Hmmm, interesting. Ordinary X300s are common here and despite a horrible salt/grit mix on the roads very little trouble in the rust department. I will have to check the usual points on a lift anyway but with more caution than I imagined.
Per
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

The XJR (X350) is really the one to go for if funds allow.. In the UK cheap as chips https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1170269
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Per

Post by Per »

Martin R wrote:The XJR (X350) is really the one to go for if funds allow.. In the UK cheap as chips https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1170269
Thing is I have a weak spot for the first gen supercharged XJR. (XJ40 version was unchanged enginewise.) But yes the full alloy unibodies are totally stunning. If it was a question of a daily driver that is definitely what I would go for.
Per
Dion

Post by Dion »

The X350 R might be the best for some but I could not live with the inferior styling, down from the X300/308.
There are a few 6 cil XJR around in the Netherlands, they still fetch a decent amount of money over the unsupercharged 3.2 and 4.0 XJ6 models.

They sold reasonably well in the USA too, seeing the number of ads on Craigs List. I nearly bought one a couple of years back but in the end the seller decided he did not want to deal with "a foreigner".

This one is very interesting, showing a very low mileage and not a sky-high asking price (€7250). Almost too good to be true?
https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/jagu ... c=listPage

The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Per

Post by Per »

Dion, that specific car is in my sights, even if being a V8. Is there a reliable trustworthy service in your part of the world that can inspect on my behalf? Also, is there a safe way of remotely paying and taking delivery through Autolink or similar? (Autolink can do all the paperwork once they pick up the car.)
Last edited by Per on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per

Return to “General Discussion”