Carburettor

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Tommy

Carburettor

Post by Tommy »

Anyone know someone who will refurbish and set up a Holley carb off a 440 Interceptor? Or am I best just to go and buy an Edelbrock?
Jensen Tommy
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Carburettor

Post by Chris_R »

I don't know who will do a Holley but as far as I know the 440 engines were not fitted with Holleys. They came with Carter Thermoquads so what you have is a replacement put there by someone in the past. You may want to check it is a valid specification replacement before spending any money on it. Or hunt out a Thermoquad.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

The early 440 engine cars were equipped with a Holley carb from Mopar. These are pre smog high performance engines and the way you can tell these engines is they are a square flange carb design. This means the four venturis are all the same size. You can use a 1406 Edelbrock to replace it but will need some linkage fabrication. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thank you. It is an early 440, so it appears the Holley is original: everything else is, but now it won't tick over and you have to keep blipping the pedal to get it to continue to run.
Jensen Tommy
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Try Dave Barnett. He did the carb on my old early 440 Interceptor III

Phone number in the magazine (he is the FF registrar)

Very impressed, much better than other cars I have driven with Edelbrocks.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Hello Tommy,

Where are you based? I am in the UK, North West and was put onto a place called Weldbank Garage in Chorley, Lancashire. My Mk3 has Holley 4 barrel Performance Carburetor (American spelling!) and was going on the 50th Anniversary trip to Turin in 2016, and since a friend had a good experience with them I took it along. Tony, the main man first put the car on the rolling road and got 170 bhp at the wheels. Did some work around the engine, including carburettor and coil, second time achieved 240 bhp. What a difference!

Earlier this year a friend from Cheshire was having problems with his Mk3, especially starting cold. Robert took his car to Weldbank and once Tony had gone through it the verdict was ' different motor, superb!'

I hope the above has given you 'food for thought'. If you require anything further don't hesitate to contact me.

David Manock, Area Representative, JOC NW
brendan

Post by brendan »

What is the problem are you blipping it when cold to keep running?
The Holley has a stepped cam on the choke with its own idle setting.
If the byometel coil is not set right for the choke you would need to keep blipping it.
It may not have power so will not be working at all but would run very rich.
It would be good to find the CFM and is it a single or double pumper.
If you swop the carb you will need the kick down set up as well as the throttle linkage.
And make sure it's an auto choke or you will have to fit a cable.
8926 136/8195 BJM 639

Return to “General Discussion”