an even more pessimistic view of the world

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

an even more pessimistic view of the world

Post by kenny38 »

I have put my thoughts further on this topic. The current situation is uncannily like the 1930's. Except for an updating everything points to a world slowly spinning out of control. We in the Western style democracies are sitting ducks for agitators who are probably genuine in their desire to see so called change.......but.....there are a few countries who will watch with interest as we begin to implode and who know doubt will be eager to assist.. The current fad for pulling down statues and pulling films borders on insane virtue signalling. The people we placed in positions of responsibility are proving to be timid and eager to please so as to avoid a poisnous Twitter campaign and having to resign etc. Putin and the Chinese chap would be genuinely astonished that 95% of the current "protestors" are probably living off the very state they wish to bring down via welfare.They cannot believe the West is proving so weak with it's handling of internal revolt.
We are ,I think,now entering a dangerous phase. When the pandemic money runs out it will be time again for "strong men" to take charge. Then a depression. Usually with disastrous results. We are witnessing the end of another empire with the USA in rapid decline. It's China's time now and not a soldier outside her borders.Trade with China comes with obligations. Only BRI (bribes to small countries...some thing like the mafia business model). Once again trade will be at the front...or lack of it. The center cannot hold (Keats) Kenny38 :roll:
kenny38

Re: an even more pessimistic view of the world

Post by kenny38 »

Before you all hit me with a chorus of "get it right!" I meant to credit W.B. Yeats. Look up his poem "the second coming". It was written around 1920. Pay attention to his "rough beast slouching its way to be born again in Bethlehem". Kenny38 :shock:
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

But, to stick with Keats instead, "Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?"
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Keith

Post by Keith »

Don't encourage him please, Stephen.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
RockyUSA

Unwanted Keats!

Post by RockyUSA »

Keith -

I laughed quite loudly with your pithy response!

I hope this won’t turn into a Keats discussion on the scale of “Unwanted Heat”!

We can call it...

“Unwanted Keats”!!

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I only remember one more bit of Keats, which my father often quoted, that is rather appropriate on a Jensen Forum:
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever".
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

It’s going to be Paradise Lost!

.... Oh no - That was Milton!

I am reminded of the guy in “Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man” who loved life so much that he did everything he could to make it SEEM to last longer, like spending all afternoon sitting inside smelly outhouses (because the time would pass so slowly)!

:mrgreen:

Rocky
Last edited by RockyUSA on Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Grant

Post by Grant »

RockyUSA wrote: The guy in “Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man” who loved life so much that he did everything he could to make it SEEM to last longer, like spending all afternoon sitting inside smelly outhouses (because the time would pass so slowly)!Rocky
This Guy sounds Brilliant :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

kenny38 wrote:"rough beast slouching its way to be born again in Bethlehem". Kenny38 :shock:
Should Read "rough beast slouching its way to be born again in Beckenham" 8)
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

You are all damn Filostanes. Beckenham!! Oh my God! the thought, the pain. kenny38 :lol:
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

What's wrong with David Beckenham?
(Apologies if my writing is sticky, as I've just dropped a bit of Marmite and banana sandwich on the keyboard).
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

His wife, Posh Spice (or Scary Spice, of Marmite Spice, or whatever) is the real superstar!
'73 DeTomaso Pantera

Return to “General Discussion”