Interceptor headlining

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Interceptor headlining

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi All
I am contemplating installing a Webasto pull back sunroof in my Interceptor in place of the existing glass pop up sunroof.
I have located a supplier for the sunroof kit which is good but it seems that their opinion is that I would need to take out the existing fluted headlining and replace it with a plain headlining.
Has anyone installed a Webasto sunroof and did you have to replace the headlining?
Thanks
Richard
AH1951

Re: Interceptor headlining

Post by AH1951 »

This is an electric sliding sunroof on an Interceptor, so not what you are asking about, but doesn't it look good?
Cropredy-Bridge-Sales-Picture-136-of-193.jpg
Cropredy-Bridge-Sales-Picture-136-of-193.jpg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
SRS2000

Post by SRS2000 »

Hi Richard the Webasto in my MK1 had cloth trim headlining, sorry no pics I can show you as its currently in resto. cheers
Interceptor MK1 115/2937 (1968) YBP 5G (Genghis)
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hi Richard.. yes, you have to replace the headlining, but you could replace it with a stitched one if you wished, you would also need to retrim the webasto inner lining to match, the reason why you have to remove the existing one is the fix the wooden frame of the webasto to the car, if you were careful enough you maybe able to remove the existing one but they do go brittle so I doubt it would be successful, I have one in my car and wanted to do the roof lining in leather and the inside lining of the webasto.. anything can be done if you give it enough thought and time Richard including replacing the both the headlining and the webasto lining in stitched vinyl like original if you wish to.. just more time and patience Mr Richard ManImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Have you thought of a new roof panel? Last year I put a new panel on to get rid of my Websato … the car is a transformation . A lot quieter with no rattles, a beautiful clean headlining that brightens the whole interior and a sense of security above your head. Its the best thing I have to the car so far and by far :D
https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

I still remember the advertisements.
002.jpg
002.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
johnw

Post by johnw »

Frankoid wrote:Have you thought of a new roof panel? Last year I put a new panel on to get rid of my Websato … the car is a transformation . A lot quieter with no rattles, a beautiful clean headlining that brightens the whole interior and a sense of security above your head. Its the best thing I have to the car so far and by far :D
https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow what a transformation Francis. The roof looks great in silver now too. One think I find with the webasto, is that, if you are tall, you do need to remember it is there, it does change the roof height, lowering it in a few places though not necessarily directly over your head when you are sitting. I would imagine if it is a small pop up sunroof in the flatter area of the roof it is feasible for a good body man with an English wheel to match the profile without needing a full panel.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Keith

Post by Keith »

johnw wrote:I would imagine if it is a small pop up sunroof in the flatter area of the roof it is feasible for a good body man with an English wheel to match the profile without needing a full panel.

That's some imagination you have John!

Even if the "good body man" managed to match these very complicated curves, the panel has then got to be welded into the aperture, with all the resulting distortion and filling/grinding. The result would then have to be filed and filled very expertly if the roof panel is to be subsequently painted.

But pop on a new (used) roof panel with a few spot welds and away you go.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

This is why I am keenly following Jacek Progrzba's new build. https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … If he can make a good new roof panel perhaps he can knock out a few more. I was very lucky to find a very good MkII roof with excellent headlining....
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

A skilled welder can weld panels without distortion. We've seen that on Jacek Progrzba's build where he has welded the entire length of the front wing without distortion or the need for filling. But welding with such skill is rare to find, and probably expensive if you do find someone.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Keith

Post by Keith »

Chris_R wrote:A skilled welder can weld panels without distortion.
I'll bow to your greater knowledge and experience Chris.

Can you show a sample where a sunroof panel aperture has been repaired by making up a new panel, then welding it in withour distortion or filling? I'm keen to see this, and from your own experience, I'm sure you will agree that it can be done.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I somehow knew you'd challenge on this Keith! I was referring to the welding. My experience? The complete side section of a roof repaired where it had rusted badly along the gutter from being under a vinyl roof covering. A repair section about 4" - 5" wide, full length of the car from front to back including the gutter which is an exceptionally complex section of metalwork curving front to back in differing curvature depending where along the section you look and also across the section where the curvature goes from the flat of the roof down to the gutter and then bends up to form the lip of the gutter. One piece, made and curved from flat sheet steel, the entire length gas welded to the rest of the roof panel without distortion. The same guy made a complete roof for an Alfa in 4 separate sections from Aluminium Sheet. Curved and welded into one roof panel and not requiring any filling afterwards, only some filing. Of course I have not done it, I could not do it, I never suggested I could, but I have seen such work done. There are people with astonishingly good skills with metal. You can see this in Jacek's work where there is no evidence of distortion or filling on any of his welding, including the front sections.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Apparently a Jaguar XJ40 sunroof fits an Interceptor, maybe this is an option? https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi all correspondents

When I posted this I thought it would be a straight forward decision, do I change the glass sunroof for a fold-back type or not. Pushing this was the need to renew my vinyl roof which was looking a tad weary where the sunroof would need to be removed anyway.
It seems that most Jensen issues are never straight forward though and I discovered that to install the sunroof entailed the loss of my pretty pristine fluted roof lining.
I did not really want to remove this so I switched back to keeping my sunroof and just renewing the vinyl roof.
However inherent in the removal of the vinyl roof is "What is underneath it!!!"
I heard a couple of horror stories at last year's International about rust holes etc. Should I just let sleeping dogs lie?
Another day in the seemingly interminable lockdown I whizzed out to the garage and removed the sun roof, a relatively easy job, leaving a big gaping hole 85X40 cms.
With the bit between the teeth off came the vinyl, also not too difficult .
"Good God my car has a fibreglass roof", Then no it does not, unless someone has invented magnetic fibreglass. The colour and patterning were down to glue and the under side of the vinyl.
A check of the roof revealed only surface rust at the edges and where the seam was in the vinyl with a bit of pockmarking.
A day rubbing down with 80 grit and wiping the glue off with methylated spirits (nothing to drink now) and the roof is not too bad. A skim of filler and more rubbing down before a coat of etch primer and all should be ready.
Unfortunately after removal I discovered problems with the sun roof, one of the hinges fell off and the other is missing, sod it. Now I have another conundrum.
Carry on with the folding roof or find spares for the glass roof which appears to be bigger than is currently available.
I did consider the weld in a panel route but as has been pointed out it requires a really expert welder to avoid heat induced buckling. I do not know any expert welders in my area.
So back to sunroofs, glass roof spares, if they can be located, will be cheaper and I am a Yorkshireman brought up in Scotland, so it would be sacrilege not to take this into consideration.
So still in a quandary.
Regards All
Richard
Grant

Post by Grant »

Richard.. you have a vinyl roof, so you could get away with a good welder welding in a steel panel and then prepare and re-vinyl the roof, as that if the distortion was very minimal then you wouldn't notice under the vinyl.. to be honest in my opinion Richard and with no dis-respect to you or your car.. a glass sunroof really has to be one of the worst looking finishes on any car let alone a beautiful classy Jensen, that's my opinion though and others may see it different :wink:.. the trouble with this sort of query is that 8 people may answer you with 6 different answers and then you end up so confused that sleeping is off :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage

Return to “General Discussion”