Undersealing

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
digidiverdave

Undersealing

Post by digidiverdave »

As part of my restoration I will be rust proofing, painting and sealing the underside of my C-V8 but wanted to know what has been done by other members or if they have recommendations to sealing and protecting the fibre glass panels and transmission tunnel.

Your comments would be appreciated

Regards

David
johnw

Re: Undersealing

Post by johnw »

digidiverdave wrote:As part of my restoration I will be rust proofing, painting and sealing the underside of my C-V8 but wanted to know what has been done by other members or if they have recommendations to sealing and protecting the fibre glass panels and transmission tunnel.

Your comments would be appreciated

Regards

David
I am not a Jensen fibreglass expert by any means. Personally I would not protect the underside of the fibre glass panels as this makes them harder to repair in future. I am though working on other makes of cars and bikes DIY fixing fibreglass on them. If I spot deterioration at corners etc/delamination I would mix some resin and try and rebind the old fibres. This way, when repairs are needed, there is no paint to remove, and it is like going on top of like. I would be very interested to know what others think. I can't see a plus side to treating the underneath with paint, apart from cosmetics.

I am not a fan of underseal products on classic car chassis anymore, I like to be under the car a lot and can easily fix any new rust. Paint looks nice in my view, and underseal hides rust. So I make sure there are no gaps and use paint. So easy to inspect and touch up. Paints are better these days and cars don't get used in the wet as much.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
digidiverdave

Re: Undersealing

Post by digidiverdave »

Many thanks for your comments and very useful indeed ....

Return to “General Discussion”