Damn tool rolls and white gloves.....Really?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

Damn tool rolls and white gloves.....Really?

Post by kenny38 »

We have a virtual concours (on line of course). Now to be eligible for these illustrous awards, and they are prestigous, you have to meet certain criteria. Gold and Silver insist on something only a very few would have........A completely silly original tool roll with white gloves displayed in an empty boot. Silly because they were intended for another time. Most now have a Swiss Army knife and a roll of tape tucked in the glove box......or perhaps stuff all.
It's not much use trying to qualify by purchasing this tool roll (for gloves join a local ballroom dancing club) because they are completely unavailable. If extremely lucky you may find one on Ebay but I understand that is, as I suspect most are, incomplete. When i bought my SP 32 years ago it did have a tool roll but I swapped it for cigarette cards because in those far off days not many people worried about these things including I might add "matching numbers" on a strange mildly exotic " bitzer" car of the '70s. Mind you I could have bought a Ferrari for the same price but it had a small engine.
Now this cuts out a large part of the valuable highly maintained Gold and Silver contenders sans tool roll. Even the basement dwellers Bronze award is disadvantaged somewhat. Wot engine bay??
Concentrate on the owner's clean underwear along with the wheels I say. Come the revolution we will know where to find all the "Tools". Kenny38
RockyUSA

Re: Damn tool rolls and white gloves.....Really?

Post by RockyUSA »

I got a kick out of that criteria too...

I can not win, but I took a picture with my Harbor Freight screwdrivers just so I can stay in the game...

I applaud the club for putting this together ....

The people who will win the serious awards are those who have the patience or the money to do so.

Anyway - I think this is better than a concours in Jolly Olde England where Kenny is disqualified because he can’t afford to ship his 36 goats AND his car, so he has to leave his car behind...

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing the entries, and I expect that Grant, Kenny and I will be in the thick of it for the coveted “Cobalt Cup”.... if we three don’t sweep the rest of the awards!

:D
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Jeeze, Rocky, yous rise flaming early. 7.38AM!! I don't stop coughing until 10AM. We are being discriminated against just because we don't have a friggen tool roll. Surely a case for your Supreme Court or the Brits High Court. We could start a society for "Tools in the Community"
or "The Complete and Utter Tool Living in your Street". White gloves necessary. Secret Tool shakes! We could amalgamate with the "Get Your Hand Off It" World chapter. By God, Sir! I think we are onto something great and perhaps world changing for all the frustrated non Toolers in our beloved club. Grant will never enter because he only sees S2 steering wheels. He has never been a Tooler. Likes white gloves though. No prints. Kenny38 8)
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

The best tool roll I ever saw displayed in the back of a car for concours was one of these...

The competitor pointing out that it was far more comprehensive than anything originally supplied, even coming with its own mechanic.

As I was concours secretary at the time, I was very tempted to add extra points for it.
Attachments
aa-membership-card-T4P1R4.jpg
aa-membership-card-T4P1R4.jpg (129.57 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Kenny,

If you can't beat 'em, let's create our own Oz event.

Let's think of the categories...
- instead of show and shine, we could have show and shielas (you've won that one already)
- id be in the running for most dismantled Car in COVID isolation

Any ideas who would be our judge(s) :lol:

Cheers,
Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Despite being a Pommie bistard, may I politefully suggest Sir Les Patterson (ably assisted by his companion)?

Now that would be a Concours to remember.
Attachments
IMG_3533.JPG
IMG_3533.JPG (202.59 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
Keith

Post by Keith »

Mark1Stu wrote:Despite being a Pommie bistard, may I politefully suggest Sir Les Patterson (ably assisted by his companion)?

Now that would be a Concours to remember.

Agree with that suggestion Stu, Sir Les is my hero!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

After doing some research, I third this nomination!

Rocky
Last edited by RockyUSA on Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all
Bargain tool roll" on offer at Rejen (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153943033507?ul_noapp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Only £789 (incl delivery) but with NO white gloves! Maybe half-a-point?
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588
DPP

Post by DPP »

Whilst the tool roll will gain extra points for Silver and Gold class cars there are 10 out off 40 points for the boot section for tools.

Dont forget that the jack and wheel brace will count, so you could still score a few points in this section without a tool roll.

I know we occasionally see expensive tool rolls for sale but you can buy or make an empty roll and start to fill it with tools for a little cost.
By searching ebay you will easily find a Perfect pattern screwdriver, a King Dick adjustable spanner, King Dick spanners in the correct sizes require a little more effort but do come up.
The club regalia sells vintage pressure gauges, although not quite correct better than none.

I understand not everyone will want these, but it cant do your car any harm to be complete especially if you come to sell it one day.

Here is the official list which was for an Interceptor:

An adequate set of tools is supplied with the car.

A tool roll is stowed in a compartment on the left-hand side of the boot and contains the following:
1-Phillips head screwdriver
1-Standard screwdriver
1-Electricians screwdriver
1-Open ended spanner 7/16in x 1/2in A/F
1-Open ended spanner 9/16in x 5/8in A/F
1-Open ended spanner 11/16in x 3/4in A/F
1-Adjustable spanner 3in
1 Pair of pliers
1-Tyre pressure gauge

An envelope for the larger tools is stowed in the centre rear of the boot and contains the following:
1-Lifting jack
1-Wheelbrace 3/4in A/F
1-Adaptor for spare wheel bracket operation
1-Plug spanner
2-Spare fan belts

Spares kit for overseas touring
Jensen owners who wish to take their cars overseas are invited to contact the technical service department at West Bromwich for advice concerning service facilities.

A special kit of spares for overseas touring can be obtained from your local distributor.

If the kit is returned intact, the cost will be refunded less a small fee.

Equipment
Jensen Motors Ltd accept no liability for tyres or batteries not manufactured by the company although supplied by the company.
All claims in respect of such should be addressed to their respective manufacturers at their address as quoted on the following page.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Unless I am mistaken (rarely) one cannot enter the Virtual GOLD or SILVER class without a tool roll. I accept the usual live concours do not mandate a tool roll no matter who is carrying it but DPP leads us to understand that it "only" counts for 10 points out of 40. Now in a forest of beautifully presented cars with hardly anything to deduct points, 10 points is a huge handicap or otherwise. Now there has been discussion somewhere about "declining interest" in concours. There must be plenty of owners who would like to take part but lack being a tool/holder. Abolishing the points for tool kits would be one way of a few improving entry levels. Have I got to come over there and show yous how you can get a bigger interest in concours? Hooray! for the cellar
dwellers in the bronze cat. No one interested in engine bays on worker's cars. I'd rather get a Bronze than a Silver. No one remembers who came second or cares. Kenny38 8)
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Mind you I could have bought a Ferrari for the same price but it had a small engine.
:D :D I think I'll make a bumper sticker out of that for the C-V8
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi, Felixx. Understand that you have dodgy knees and eyesight and thought you were buying a cow in the advert. Kenny38 :D
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
kees

Post by kees »

It always strikes me that the cross head screwdriver in the tool roll of the Interceptor is of the Phillips type. There maybe a few Phillips screws used in the Interceptor but I presume the majority is of the Pozidriv type. While a Phillips screwdriver will more or less fit a Pozidriv screw, using it that way will both damage the screw and the screwdriver.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977

Return to “General Discussion”