USA - transferring money

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Dion

USA - transferring money

Post by Dion »

Now for something completely different....

I (citizen of the Netherlands, Europe) just bought a Jaguar XJS in California, USA. Just one minor problem: this seller does not want to share his bank details which are needed to make a bank transfer for the money. He was advised by his bank: "my bank says do not give any one from out of state your banking information".
Very annoying and ill-informed. I have used international money transfers between banks before, and there was never a problem.

The seller propose to send a cashiers check. I see this is a common method in the USA, problem is I have no option here to send such a check.

So I think I need to look for an American citizen who would be so kind to receive money from me via an international bank transfer onto his own bank account. And then send a cashiers check to that seller.
Or is there another method?

Very depressing... :cry:
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
felixkk

Re: USA - transferring money

Post by felixkk »

Very strange. I think I‘ve had UBS make out a cheque for us, for someone in the US- have you asked your bank if they will do that? On the other hand we’ve received a cheque from the IRS which one of the major Swiss banks wouldn‘t accept :roll:
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

i bought 2 yamaha 350 banshee quad bikes from california last year and used ups for shipping
they provide an escrow service
https://www.escrow.com/shipping/united-parcel-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you pay them-he delivers-they pay him
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

If both you and the seller open TRANSFERWISE accounts, you can send money at a much lower fee structure than banks normally charge and you can open accounts in different currencies. It's a 100% online bank. (And no rip-off monthly charges like normal banks.)
https://transferwise.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something else which is depressing:
Kylie Minogue will be 52 on Thursday!
Last edited by AH1951 on Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dion

Post by Dion »

Many thanks to all for the suggestions, it is great to see this Jensen community being so helpful!
After some persuasion I managed to convince the seller to open up a new bank account for just this transaction. It is a matter now of making an international bank transaction which should be no problem.

This is the car I will be getting, a six cylinder 1995 XJS 4.0. I will be getting a registration for it and see if it needs anything done to it, then be using it for a few weeks / months, then it will go to my younger brother who always wanted a XJS (not sure why he does not want an Interceptor) :D
R2.jpg
R2.jpg (130.03 KiB) Viewed 5947 times
LA.jpg
LA.jpg (130.82 KiB) Viewed 5947 times

GT LHD
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Looks a lot like mine! I have a ‘95 XJS cabriolet with the AJ-16 (straight-6) engine.

Nice car as my daily driver (but I’m not driving it much now).

Enjoy your new car!

Rocky

Let me know if I can help with it!
8CD0725A-FD14-48C5-8F56-A767B981159C.jpeg
8CD0725A-FD14-48C5-8F56-A767B981159C.jpeg (330.8 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
068F997B-4257-46B7-B819-9D497894FDF6.jpeg
068F997B-4257-46B7-B819-9D497894FDF6.jpeg (296.26 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Dion

Post by Dion »

Sisters indeed! Might be even the same colour.

GT LHD
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

They do make me laugh when they will not give out the details to transfer money to them, err you end up with my money and you still got the car,, who is more at risk ????
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

be careful while transferring money to a bank account in US third party, if you're not getting the car - or the car is not having the papers to import (clean title), the money is gone. I lost some money this way beginning of the year due to internet fraud
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

in Netherlands you're having a lot of importers like Schippers classic&sports cars for example, or others (may provide you the date if you want). Ok it cost's you a little bit more, but then you receive the car here, customs done, you see what you're paying for - afterwards it's your job to get the autokeuring.

In 2018 I imported some cars out of US/Canada, but at that time I had a agent there and he acted also as my terasurer/escrow.
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
RajM
JOC Regalia Secretary

Post by RajM »

I too would Recommend TransferWise. It is online, simple and you can than use a US$ account Once you creat borderless accounts. It is handy as you can have all different currency when travelling with just one bank car and local bank details for just about all of them. There will however be a limit allowed on transfer as well as receiving.

I current use it for the club for one over our events where EURO is involved and saves everyone on bank fee.

When we Purchased our MKIII from California we paid a small deposit and only when we received the shipping information did we pay the balance. We wanted to make sure it was well on it’s way... it is a risk nevertheless maybe worth finding out if the USA area rep can assist?

Raj
1996 BMW 840Ci
1986 BMW 325i Convertible
Slave to my passion and Wife to the JOC Chairman :wink: :wink:
Dion

Post by Dion »

Thank you all for the suggestions. As said before all is OK now.

@Wolfgang - sorry to hear about your bad experience and losing money.

This is not the first time I am importing a car from the USA. Over the years I imported four classics from the USA, and five from the UK for friends, family or myself (I am not a car dealer). All transactions were fairly smooth and had no real surprises even though all have been bought unseen (USA, some from the UK I have travelled).
Comprehensive email correspondence, phone calls with the sellers help getting confidence in them. I only buy if I have a good feeling about it. Is the seller quick in answering? Does he answer to specific questions? A seller should not be tight about divulging information about the car, and getting extra pictures when I ask for it. If the seller is unwilling to cooperate then there will be no sale. I did not go through with a sale for a couple of cars because of this - did not want to get in the same situation as Wolfgang.
Of course one can call for the help of a classic car dealer for importing a classic but where is the fun that? :D

GT LHD
RajM
JOC Regalia Secretary

Post by RajM »

Fab car and very Lucky Brother... Glad to hear all has been sorted. Enjoy!
1996 BMW 840Ci
1986 BMW 325i Convertible
Slave to my passion and Wife to the JOC Chairman :wink: :wink:
Grant

Post by Grant »

Dion.. maybe it' maybe bit late now, but I know a chap in texas who will go and collect the car and take it to the container, he arranges the container all including all the paperwork too, he normally sorts the money aswel, you just transfer the money to him into his bank, .. I know you've sorted the money now but it you need him to do the rest then let me know.. this is what he does for a living,.. he sorted a boat out for me out there and got it to here in the Uk.. Its the same as the James Bond "Live and let Die" One :P
Marks GT150.jpg
Marks GT150.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
015.JPG
015.JPG (207.24 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Roger Moore GT150.jpg
Roger Moore GT150.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Goedenavond Dion,

first of all congratulation to your nice car. I also imported a lot of cars from US and having my old friend there in US/Canada (like Grant the old guy) he always had a look on the cars I selected and also handled the financial transfers for me. He passed some 2 years ago - I lost a friend.
My internet fraud was from the approach seeming similar to me as what you described. The 'seller' very friendly, always reacting fast, with US-cell phone number (now I know from the police here you can buy US prepaid in Russia :cry: ) sending photos - as I know now the number plate doesn't match to the car and so on. Then he required a down payment for transport and also mentioned to open an account where he is allowed to withdraw money, so I did it via my Canadian bank - money gone, car never seen...
The police here was very friendly and proactive, they tracked the email until to ...Russia.... Then they mentioned ...welcome to the club Wolfgang, we're having these cases every week, and your amount is peanuts against what we're having in general on the table...
I learned to be more careful.

Met vriendelijke Groetjes
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be

Return to “General Discussion”