Voxson / Radiomobile / Learjet other car stereo

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
MarkC

Voxson / Radiomobile / Learjet other car stereo

Post by MarkC »

Hi all so I have Caliber ‘retro’ style modern radio/CD player/Bluetooth unit in my series 3 interceptor but I don’t like the look - more early 60s than 70s. Think I need to bite the bullet and get a Voxson / Radiomobile / Learjet or other radio/8 track/cassette and fit aBluetooth module separately. All the players I see online are either rusty/damaged/uncorking, or crazy expensive (£500 and upwards). Any suggestions?
Mark Case
Belfast
136/8990 1973 Jensen Interceptor Series III
Follow my rebuild on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/96485131@N02/
Mark1Stu

Re: Voxson / Radiomobile / Learjet other car stereo

Post by Mark1Stu »

Hi Mark,

Please excuse the rushed response. I'd start with the radio aperture you have or can get hold of. The Radiomobile 108SR is the most common (Voxson doesn't apply) and has the smaller aperture. The LearJet has a bigger aperture, is a much more complex unit, harder to find. So I'd source a 108 - they look good, period correct - although later cars had a range of ICE depending on customer preference.

You can pick up 108's on eBay for circa £70 delivered. It's Russian roulette whether they'll work. Biggest issue is degraded wiring (lift the lid, if its rusted along the lines of the wiring harness, its all but scrap). Earlier Voxsons are worse for this. Then ensure the black knobs aren't broken - hard to find. Drive belts can be bought off eBay. The hardest part is finding a unit which presents well - you'll often need to buy more than one and mix and match. You can swap all items of facia, just fiddly.

You'll be lucky to find one which hasn't been professionally breathed on with all the lights working - but often most can be coaxed back to life. A professional service is probably £120ish? Voxsons/104s have a separate amp, so make sure you know what your buying....and are much more difficult to service/repair.

I've 2 108s left over from my MK3 resto, both present and work extremely well. One has an MP3 link, the other is standard. Such items are in the price range £300-350 each, to give you some idea.

They were of little value or use other than as door stops. Sharp ones are now getting harder to find.

Hope this helps.
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Hi Stuart - many thanks for a not at all rushed reply! So I stumbled across this last night and bit the bullewt and bought it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153933420025

Period but poverty-spec (radio only) it fits (18x5cm slot) looks good and has Bluetooth (alI need really), w back on eBay, e'll see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out I'll throw it back on eBay, so no harm done. The current unit (Caliber) does a great job but it looks more like a jukebox from a New York diner, IMHO!
Mark Case
Belfast
136/8990 1973 Jensen Interceptor Series III
Follow my rebuild on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/96485131@N02/
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Glad you're sorted Mark.

Stuart

Return to “General Discussion”