A Responsible Approach to Classic Car Motoring

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

Re: A Responsible Approach to Classic Car Motoring

Post by kenny38 »

We are all rooned anyway. Rocky is a bloody disgrace. He drives two great guzzler lumps. Jensen and Pantera. I do drive my Jensen on a regular basis and people think I am in finance as the homeless call out "banker" as I pass. Well i think so anyway. Kenny38 :shock:
david wright

Post by david wright »

I believe, and sincerely hope, we should view my proposals as a small yet sensible approach to improving the climate/atmosphere of our planet.

I also hope that most people already know of the elliptical axis, mini ice ages and their effects, and also realise that climate scientists around the globe have factored these into the overall trend of ever increasing carbon and temperature levels. These regular occurrences in no way affect the overall trajectory of climate change.

It's time for us to face the facts, accept the evidence of over 90% of the world's scientists, and raise our Jensen heads above the parapet to show others the way forward, in a modest way.

I must admit a poll of members sounds interesting, but let's wait to see what our committee wants to do first?

David
C-V8 Mk III 112/2328
MGA 1600 Mk II
Vast Collection of Models of British sports cars.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

I'm certainly not a climate change denier. However, I would rather the JOC Committee concentrate on improving the fundamentals of running a successful car club: leaving owners and forum participants to decide for themselves how to reduce and/or offset their carbon footprint

I for one won't be adding any more heat to the web-servers servicing this thread.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

For my two cents, if my thoughts are even worth that, is that the idea is an extremely admirable one...but flawed.

I tend to agree with Stu that it runs the risk of backfiring and, despite the admirable intentions, will achieve the opposite of what is intended.

There are few hobbies / leisure activities that don't have a carbon footprint. I suspect that the occasional use of an old car may be surprisingly light. There would be a colossal amount of variables to consider of course, so many to make a calculation / comparison impossible but I wouldn't mind betting that using a classic car say once a month would have a lighter carbon footprint than attending say a football match once a month, once all factors, (such as the 20,000 litres of water used every day to maintain a premier league pitch) are taken into account.

I feel we would run the risk of drawing attention to a very easy target for those that wanted to use environmental issues to curtail our hobby to do so. Far from being the envy of other classic car clubs, might we instead become vilified by them?
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Apologies for breaking my commitment not to contribute further on this subject (permission to ignore my post).

Richie's diplomatic response chimes with a further thought I had. If the club were to embrace Davids well meaning idea, surely to avoid being outed as paying lip service to the issue, the club would also need to consider the carbon impact of all it organises. Particularly national and international events, hotel accommodation it promotes etc etc.

All well and good you might say, but bear in mind we cant attract (or keep) area representatives (who would surely be required to complete some form of carbon impact event assessment...where it's a club generated event), we can't seem to agree or make a decision on integrated written job descriptions / roles for club positions ....and it will be at least the third JOC publication after my resignation before there's any formal request seeking a volunteer to take over my role as Interceptor Registrar.

So, best not run before we can walk I'd say....which of course is the best way to travel.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

I think that somehow we have started to look in to this far too deeply, as it would be impossible to calculate every single members mileage, every time they use their car.
I think David is advocating is that as a whole ( The Club ) makes an annual contribution to a worthy carbon natural cause, whether it's planting trees or 'Safe the Kelp'

It would prove to the public and other car club that the Jensen Owners Club is a responsible car club
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

The risk is that what it might "prove to the public" is that we as a club are indeed responsible. For pollution.

Now we all know that compared too many other aspects of life, any negative impact classic cars may have on the environment is smaller than tiny. But the target we would present could be huge.

Such a scheme potentially runs the risk of an admission of guilt. But no crime has been committed. And we could still be convicted.
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all,
I for one would be strongly against our club making any donation towards "carbon offsetting" on my behalf. I certainly would not want to stop anyone making such a donation on an individual basis.
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588 - Now sold
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Last edited by felixkk on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Fishyboy wrote:Hi all,
I for one would be strongly against our club making any donation towards "carbon offsetting" on my behalf. I certainly would not want to stop anyone making such a donation on an individual basis.
Phil

In lieu of a tick button. I agree.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Fishyboy wrote:Hi all,
Phil

While I respect your reason for not giving a reason it would be nice to know why?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

it just puts classic cars and historic vehicles "ON THE RADAR" and ALSO makes us another "victim" for the tree huggers and do gooders (these groups should send there licence back to DVSA and disconnect there homes from the gas and electric networks)

More to the point how many times have "EXPERTS" been wrong ?

at some point in the future there is going to be a very eggy face similar to the Ex roads minister mike penning who signed off smart motorways, today he works with tendo consulting lobbying the government to halt smart motorways :shock: :shock: :shock:

and whilst i am on a rant.....
isnt that drax power station a lovely place now they dont burn that nasty coal stuff ? they only burn wood pellets now so thats nice and clean for the environment.

what nobody thinks about is the supply of wood pellets comes from 100000's of acres of cleared woodland in the usa that is then shipped to the uk burning 1000's of gallons of diesel oil whilst it crosses the sea :roll:
you could not make it up
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
DaveT
JOC 541 Registrar

Post by DaveT »

Firstly, we already have a poll on this subject in the members only section.

https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 67&t=30679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondly we should be aware of the appalling behaviour of so called environmentalists that disrupted the Brussels motor show in January 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clim ... SKBN1ZH0NN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What if such a group decided to target the NEC classic car show or even on a smaller scale, the joc international. I am sorry to say that the idea of raising this as a good deed in the press is asking for trouble. How many years will it be before the idea of driving a car of any type for pleasure will be strongly, loudly and unpleasantly objected to by so called environmentalists?

If you feel strongly about it, have your gas guzzling jensen crushed and recycled for scrap (not spares) and buy a second hand pushbike!
Dave Turnage
Colchester

JOC 8674
JOC 541 Registrar
541S, 100/1061
541R, 6002/387 (now in lots of pieces!)
Alvis speed 25 DHC
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Last edited by felixkk on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

I am not sure the club should be an activist for the climate change agenda or any other political issue, even if the constitution allows it which I doubt. Clearly there is a great diversity of views on climate change both within and outside the club. It is not appropriate in my view for the JOC to foster the views of one individual or group and then represent it in public as the view of its 1,400 members. As regards a poll of all club members (not just the forum), the club had never conducted its affairs on that basis and I do not think it is a good idea to start now.

The appropriate body to deal with this issue is the FBHVC. If necessary, they can submit policy proposals on behalf of the classis car community as a whole. Members can submit any ideas directly or via the chairman, providing it is made clear they are speaking personally and not on behalf of the club.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars

Return to “General Discussion”