Virtual Concours

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
DPP

Virtual Concours

Post by DPP »

Due to the lockdown, it has been decided to cancel this years traditional concours event in favour of a "Virtual Concours".

Hopefully this will encourage lots of entries from owners who would not normally enter, it is also a great opportunity for owners of cars Internationally who can not attend the event due to distance.

Entry will be by submission of photos and there will be 3 classes Bronze, Silver & Gold with awards for the top 3 cars in each class plus awards for the best car in the following categories:

Early cars up to and including early Interceptor
CV8
Interceptor
Interceptor variants (SP, FF, Convertable, Coupe)
Sports cars (Healey, GT, SV8)

There are also the usual prizes for Members choice, Chairmans choice and the Strathcarron cup for the best car in the competition.
Please note though that the awards that are returned to the club after 1 year will not be posted out to winners, they will however be engraved with your name and car details.
All other awards kept by the winner will be posted out.
Details on how to submit entries will be posted soon once we have a system in place to allow entrants to easily send photos.

Rules
Winners of each award will be selected by a panel of 4 judges whose decision is final.
All entrants must be current members of the JOC.
Entries must be of a car you currently own.
All photos submitted must have been taken in the last 12 months.
No editing of photos other than cropping and straightening.
Closing date for entries will be the 7th of June 2020 with winners announced on the 21st June 2020.

Objections, the judges decision will be final. There must no correspondence etc with the judges on the day, or after the event.
Any grievances should be taken up in writing with the Concours Secretary, who in conjunction with the General Secretary will bring the matter before the committee for appropriate action.

For Bronze class 5 photos will be required, 4 external shots showing each side, front and rear and 1 internal shots.
Please try to keep photos similar to the example below.

O/S
O/S
DSCN4048.jpeg (41.35 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
N/S
N/S
IMG_1934.jpeg (42.52 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
Front
Front
DSCN4062.jpeg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
Rear
Rear
DSCN4055.jpeg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
Interior
Interior
DSCN3605.jpeg (38.27 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
Silver Class will be the same as Bronze with 2 additional photos, these will be an engine bay photo and boot with tools displayed.
Engine Bay
Engine Bay
DSCN3599.jpeg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
Boot & Tools
Boot & Tools
DSCN3619.jpeg (19.86 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
Gold Class will be the same as Silver Class with an additional engine bay and interior photo, plus a close up of 1 wheel and photos of 1 front and rear wheelarch with the wheel removed.
Engine bay 2
Engine bay 2
DSCN3595.jpeg (38.23 KiB) Viewed 12625 times
Interior 2
Interior 2
DSCN3626.jpeg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 12625 times

David Pearce
Concours Secretary
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Virtual Concours

Post by VFK44 »

What a great initiative. Obviously flawed, but the best we can do in the circumstances. Thanks to all involved.

I hope the photos are posted online for the 20th-21st June so we can all join in.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I agree on the initiative and good for the jensen mojo!!

Kr
Karan
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

VFK44 wrote:What a great initiative. Obviously flawed,
Why?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

colin7673 wrote:
VFK44 wrote:What a great initiative. Obviously flawed,
Why?
Yes, why?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Sounds good, something to work towards in June :D :D :D
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Yes, why?
For many reasons, but they don't really matter when compared to the brilliant idea of staging this contest. I would be the first (and indeed, was) to commend the initiative. I have already updated the main JOC site with details of our new Concours.

If you really want me to list some (unimportant) flaws:
  • The results will partly depend on the technical quality of the photos, not the car.
  • A good photographer will choose his angles carefully to avoid showing minor damage, paint ripples etc. We have probably all seen cars in adverts which don't look nearly as good in the metal.
  • How will we judge the texture of the leather? The glow of a "just right" paint job?
  • Will we be able to discern if all the original details, like the markings and makers name on a dial, are correct?
  • The winner usually spends hours cleaning under the arches, behind grilles, inside the door shuts. Not visible in photos.
  • A key requirement at the JOC is that the car must not be trailered to the concours, or have components swapped after arrival (e.g wheels). The car in the photo may not even run.
  • It would be lessening the good work of the concours judges who examine the cars in forensic detail, and get themselves grubby looking under cars and in engine bays, if we said that their work was unnecessary.
So this year's worthy winner will be judged differently, but they will still have the honour of an official JOC trophy, and what a tale they will have to tell in years to come!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Stephen, the fact that you said it 'Obviously flawed' clearly states that it does matter and it matters to you otherwise you wouldn't have stated that.

I agree their are problems but this has been done to try to encourage those that wouldn't necessarily enter let alone drive to an international.

The photos that have been posted here are how the judges want the photo to be taken, if the photo is of another angle then they will not be entered.

You can also tell by the photos here that the car is clean, you can't do much about dust, if I took the same photos of my car you could clearly see the interior is untidy.. but to spend some time to make it look clean would improve the photos, although I can do anything about the age of the interior as it is 46 years old.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

colin7673 wrote:So more positivity please
Not sure what more I can add if you don't find my approach positive. I can and will support this in any practical way I can. Can we get permission from those submitting the photos to post them online? We could then also have a Members' Choice, not to mention a Chairman's Choice and, of course, we now have a President to make a Choice!

Regarding "standard" photographs, I can stand next to Nic Cooper, the Club photographer, and take a photo from the same angle, but he is mysteriously able to make any car look much better.
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I think posting the photos on-line would be great, and if a "Member's Favorite" category was established, that would be even better!

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
RajM
JOC Regalia Secretary

Post by RajM »

No doubt any online competition will have its flaws; and I'd like the fact that the club concourse secretary is making a good thing out of a bad situation. This will not be a small task and sure David P & the judges will do all in is power to ensure he choose a winner that has taken the time to submit his / her photos and details of their car in line with the rules. Lets all join in and support David with his first Concours!

Good luck everyone!
1996 BMW 840Ci
1986 BMW 325i Convertible
Slave to my passion and Wife to the JOC Chairman :wink: :wink:
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

I congratulate your effort in going forward with some type of conquers. No matter who judge the cars by picture or in person there are flaws. So put an * beside the winners name and we have One less hurdle to cross RacerJoe
DPP

Post by DPP »

Dont forget to send your entries in for the Virtual Concours competition.

All entries to be emailed to concours@joc.org.uk by the 7th of June for a chance to win one of the 18 engraved Silver Salver awards as pictured below, as
well as your chance to have your name and car details engraved on one of the clubs major trophies.

IMG_5277.JPG
IMG_5277.JPG (105.97 KiB) Viewed 11608 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

DPP wrote:Dont forget to send your entries in for the Virtual Concours competition.

All entries to be emailed to concours@joc.org.uk by the 7th of June for a chance to win one of the 18 engraved Silver Salver awards as pictured below, as
well as your chance to have your name and car details engraved on one of the clubs major trophies.

IMG_5277.JPG
Very smart :D
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

I really like this idea of a virtual concours.

Depending on how it goes this year, how about making it permanent? Or a category of the main event?

Neither of my old bangers would get within a bulls roar of getting a place on the podium at such an event, although the J-H 1 is very original. But it wouldn't matter as I will never get it there anyway - as is the case I think for a big proportion of members, UK based, overseas, flu bug or not. When the war is over I will get to a UK JOC event one day (the US Jensen East do in 2018 was a hoot) but I wouldn't ship a car over/back.

Might also spark a renewal of interest in the concours, and also make the JOC's appeal even wider?
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia

Return to “General Discussion”