Musings following a BBQ and drink. Post 2.

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Re: Musings following a BBQ and drink. Post 2.

Post by Tim SP »

There is a chap fairly local that has, poss the only one ordered/made, mk1v Zodiac exec camper!
Its so grim its mega!
The car/camper is in fantastic nick, he'd owned it from near new-

Hi John- do you remember this at Bromley??
It was like a Brit version of what Scaramanga might of escaped from Bond in- had he lived here (and been real!!)
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

LIKE THIS ....

Ginetta car-camper interior
It is a unique vehicle, based on a 1970s’ Ford Zodiac executive saloon fitted with a walnut dashboard and plenty of eye-catching instrumentation. Stylistically the fibreglass exterior has echoes of yacht design with its sleek, sweeping lines. The interior is lined with wood veneer and conjures up an image of a narrow boat cabin.
Zodiac-exterior-007.jpg
Zodiac-exterior-007.jpg (77.53 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
Zodiac-interior-006.jpg
Zodiac-interior-006.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Julian

Post by Julian »

My Stag is extremely tidy but unfeasibly gutless compared to my convertible.

Great contrast of two cars made at the same time. One made in a shed by craftsmen whilst in recievership, one in a factory of blokes also heading for recievership.
Finished car.jpg
Finished car.jpg (174.92 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
kees

Post by kees »

small_114943.jpg
small_114943.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
For me the ideal replacement would be a humble Renault 4GTL (perhaps the SINPAR 4x4), modded with extra sound deadening, a 1300cc engine with about 55DINHP in stead of its original 1100cc unit with 34DINHP, Volvo 440 seats and improved brakes.
It is comfortable, easy to get in and out, easy to maintain, frugal, decent road behaviour in spite of it leaning in the corners, has the looks, lots of space, and most of all lots of fun.

Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Many years ago a friend had a 2CV that he had upgraded with a GS engine in the motor club. It was crazy, the problem the only upgrade were the front brakes and driveshafts from GS ( discs). It looked standard from a few feet away.

It ended up in a field after going through a hedge and loosing some of its bodywork from a tree it hit on route.

He just unscrewed the number plates and walked away ( actually limped as he had hurt his ankle and knee) . He went to the medical centre and told them he had fallen off his bike.

Those were the days, no airbags or crumple zones.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Nothing was safe from the camper converters back then

First registered in 1969 this Rover P5B Coupe was sold to it's second of, we believe, four registered keepers in 1971 and he made the unusual decision to mount a one off hand built Caravanette frame onto the chassis of the P5. The conversion was obviously a success as he enjoyed many years of touring in the West Country and extensively on the Continent.
037.JPG
037.JPG (132.44 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Last edited by David Devine on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dion

Post by Dion »

That looks a fairly modern conversion (80s onwards), certainly not done when the car was new.

Love the wheels.... :D
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

At the NEC last November.
P1017608.JPG
P1017608.JPG (114.44 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
P1017609.JPG
P1017609.JPG (94.12 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
I liked it, that's why I took the photos.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Julian wrote:My Stag is extremely tidy but unfeasibly gutless compared to my convertible.

Great contrast of two cars made at the same time. One made in a shed by craftsmen whilst in recievership, one in a factory of blokes also heading for recievership.
Finished car.jpg
I have always wanted a Stag, I think it is one of the best balanced cars I've ever seen, especially with the hardtop on. I honestly believe that if some exotic car company had released it everyone would be praising it as one of the best designs ever. The problem is, much as I love the sound of the Triumph V8, it just doesn't go well enough for me, even in manual o/d.
kees

Post by kees »

Sadly no more low slung cars any more, not even my favourite Alpine Renault A110. I have trouble enough getting out of the J-H. We (or rather Anne Marie) have had a fair number of Renault 4's: actually starting with a Renault 3, then a 4 followed by 3 4TL's and finally a 4GTL with an engine from an R6 with 45 Din HP, wheels from an R5 Gordini, KONI shocks and larger diameter tires. 150kph on a good day. They were used several times for trips to West Bromwich to collect Jensen parts for myself and other Jensen owners in the late 1970's/early 1980's.
They also served as a camper sometimes. When the children were not born yet we used to remove the rear seat, put a mattress in and did some rogue camping.
As the car has good access and a high seating position it is ideal when you are not so mobile any more.
I would not mind another one at all.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

JamesE wrote:
Julian wrote:My Stag is extremely tidy but unfeasibly gutless compared to my convertible.

The attachment Finished car.jpg is no longer available
I have always wanted a Stag, I think it is one of the best balanced cars I've ever seen, especially with the hardtop on. I honestly believe that if some exotic car company had released it everyone would be praising it as one of the best designs ever. The problem is, much as I love the sound of the Triumph V8, it just doesn't go well enough for me, even in manual o/d.
I've always thought that the Stag looks better with the hard top fitted!
stag.jpg
stag.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
JOC Member 10887
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

kees wrote:Sadly no more low slung cars any more, not even my favourite Alpine Renault A110. I have trouble enough getting out of the J-H. We (or rather Anne Marie) have had a fair number of Renault 4's: actually starting with a Renault 3, then a 4 followed by 3 4TL's and finally a 4GTL with an engine from an R6 with 45 Din HP, wheels from an R5 Gordini, KONI shocks and larger diameter tires. 150kph on a good day. They were used several times for trips to West Bromwich to collect Jensen parts for myself and other Jensen owners in the late 1970's/early 1980's.
They also served as a camper sometimes. When the children were not born yet we used to remove the rear seat, put a mattress in and did some rogue camping.
As the car has good access and a high seating position it is ideal when you are not so mobile any more.
Kees Oudesluijs
My first car was a Renault 6TL. I acquired it from my mother who had upgraded to a 14TL back in 1980!...
6tl.jpg
6tl.jpg (186.07 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
JOC Member 10887
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

kees wrote:Sadly no more low slung cars any more, not even my favourite Alpine Renault A110. I have trouble enough getting out of the J-H. We (or rather Anne Marie) have had a fair number of Renault 4's: actually starting with a Renault 3, then a 4 followed by 3 4TL's and finally a 4GTL with an engine from an R6 with 45 Din HP, wheels from an R5 Gordini, KONI shocks and larger diameter tires. 150kph on a good day. They were used several times for trips to West Bromwich to collect Jensen parts for myself and other Jensen owners in the late 1970's/early 1980's.
Kees Oudesluijs
I had to look up what a Renault 3 was, never heard of one :o probably really rare now, being a basic R4 without the window in the rear quarter. With these Renaults speed bumps are a doddle as the rear wheels are offset, so will rock over them :)
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
kees

Post by kees »

The Renault 3 was identical to a basic Renault 4 but with a smaller engine, 600cc, and no heater. The early basic Renault 4 also did without the rear side windows.
J-H MkII, 1974
johnw

Post by johnw »

kees wrote:The Renault 3 was identical to a basic Renault 4 but with a smaller engine, 600cc, and no heater. The early basic Renault 4 also did without the rear side windows.
Those Renaults were so popular back in the 70s, so many were around in the 1980s too, cheap or free. You are more likely to see an Interceptor these days.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom

Return to “General Discussion”