Keeping Busy Whilst Self Isolating

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Grant

Re: Keeping Busy Whilst Self Isolating

Post by Grant »

Lovely Kev.. what a thrill :P .. So exiting when you start putting bits on rather than taking them off!! :D .. Keep going son :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Kevin Birch wrote:The engine bay needs cutting back to get a better finish, but am really happy with it. :D
20200726_174726.jpg
I've been reading about a 911 that came second in the national Porsche GB restoration competition. The painters were under strict instructions to duplicate the factory finish for all interior panels, which meant lots of random orange-peel. For a 60s Ford that would probably be lots of drips, a bare patch, and a footprint.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Grant

Post by Grant »

VFK44 wrote: For a 60s Ford that would probably be lots of drips, a bare patch, and a footprint.
:lol: :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

slotcarone wrote:Looks nice! I hope those brake lines are just copper coated steel! Copper tubing is not used for brake lines. :)
They are copper, it isn't illegal in the UK to use copper for brake lines and is the most common material when being replaced, as it is easy to shape and flare. The issue with copper is that they can crack due to work hardening, but in reality if fixed correctly this rarely happens on a road car. I've never had a copper pipe fail , but have had steel ones rust through and burst, with dangerous consequencies. You can't use copper on race vehicles due to the massive body vibrations brought on by solid engine mounts and stiff suspension, which will cause work hardening and cracking of the copper.
I had a steel pipe burst on my range rover 2 years ago, 2 months after an MOT but the pipe was not visible at the point it burst, so was not detected. Scared the S**t out of me, even with modern brakes the pedal went soft and the car didn't stop as quick as I was expecting. I suppose there are pros and cons for each, and as I've never had any issues with copper will keep using it, plus you can make them look nice.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

VFK44 wrote:
Kevin Birch wrote:The engine bay needs cutting back to get a better finish, but am really happy with it. :D
20200726_174726.jpg
I've been reading about a 911 that came second in the national Porsche GB restoration competition. The painters were under strict instructions to duplicate the factory finish for all interior panels, which meant lots of random orange-peel. For a 60s Ford that would probably be lots of drips, a bare patch, and a footprint.
That's alright then, as that is what I've got, with a few fingerprints thrown in to prove I'm the guilty party :D

This reminded me of something I read years ago, slightly off topic about interpreting the rules. I think it was NASCAR racing, and that certain items on the cars have to have the same specifications to stop unfair advantage and so supposedly closer racing, i.e. tyre size, engine size fuel tank size etc. It was during one race that one of the teams managed to stay out longer between fuel stops than any other car. Obviously due to the specifications, the cars would all refuel within a few laps of each other to try to gain some advantage, but this one team was out of sync with the others and having fewer fuel stops over the race naturally won. Under scrutiny the car passed as it had correct engine size, and fuel tank, but there was no rules about the fuel pipe, and this team's cars were fitted with 4inch diameter fuel pipe from front to back, holding several more gallons giving an advantage :D . I love stuff like this.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Basil McKinley

Post by Basil McKinley »

The issue with copper is that they can crack due to work hardening
I understand cupro-nickel (cunifer) can be used which gets around the work hardening issue,

Regards,
Basil
1970 Interceptor MkII 123/3798
1973 JH MkI 1141/12698
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

I have been working on cars both professionally and as a hobby since the '60's. Here in The States copper is never used as brake lines. Steel is very easy to shape and flare with the proper tools. On our garage kept cars the new steel lines will last a long time. That being said I respect your knowledge Kevin. Obviously you have had a lot of experience with this stuff too. Keeping them rolling! :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I started my race career in the seventies, there had been also in some seasons some lack in regulations, so I remember one season we started to deep cooling the fuel (around -40 degrees) so the volume shrinked about 5% with double advantage: you're filler neck was restricted in diameter and 5% less volume means around 5% less refueling time, and second 5% more tank volume. :wink: :lol: :lol:
after one season it was forbidden..
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

slotcarone wrote:I have been working on cars both professionally and as a hobby since the '60's. Here in The States copper is never used as brake lines. Steel is very easy to shape and flare with the proper tools. On our garage kept cars the new steel lines will last a long time. That being said I respect your knowledge Kevin. Obviously you have had a lot of experience with this stuff too. Keeping them rolling! :)
Hi Slotty,

in Germany copper is not allowed, you'll never get TÜV. In Belgium they had been very open minded with vintage cars (O-plate), means once having this plate no more Autokeuring (means technical inspection). But now they revised it - every 2 years you have to go. Due to racing we're always trying to push the limit's but limited to brake system, tyres and steering - here we try to be always on the safe side.
The lowering I'll try again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Spending lots of time on it at the moment, although progress seems to be slow, lots of little niggly bits to do, like sorting the clips for the pipes underneath, and wiring loom ends etc. Servo and master cylinders rebuilt, need new caps for them, but actually pulling all the bits out to put back on is sooooo time consuming, as everything needs painting etc. Got to remove the master cylinders as they hold the pedal box in, and have realised the box needs to come back out as there is some moulded sound deadening that needs to go on the inside of the bulkhead BEFORE the pedal box is bolted in. :( Have got new loom clips but will put then in when I'm certain the loom doesn't need to come out, as they are a nightmare to remove once installed. Boot area is now ready for painting, its had several primer coats, then rubbed down, the amount of runs in the original white paint in this area was scary, they weren't noticeable until rubbing down the primer and then the runs became very apparent. Probably spent 3 days now in the boot!! :shock: Filter for the servo is in the dishwasher at the moment, with a sunvisor and air vent eye ball, to see how they respond. The washer bottle has already been through and came up quite well :D
20200806_162654.jpg
20200806_162654.jpg (113.43 KiB) Viewed 6701 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Oh Wow..Proud of You BirchyMan :wink: ..Looking really Cool, Well done Man..You obviously have too much time on your hands at the moment, don't forget to do the house work too!!, Don't want to hear that GrimeBusters need to visit!! :D
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

House isn't getting dirty, I'm always in the garage!!!!
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

a filter I had not in the dishwasher up to now, but for many other parts the dishwasher is used frequently. They're looking quite good afterwards. In the beginning my wife was not so happy but now she adapted :lol: :lol: :lol:
The boot of the Jensen is also my next task, has to be refurbished completely, but having no idea how it looked the time it was original. Has somebody a photo of a boot of his convertible?
Thanks
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Just resurrecting this thread, as I'm still on furlough and have finished the work to my house, including porch, roof and some windows, So the cars have been neglected, but have had the Cortina interior back from the trimmers and am very happy. Have been getting bits together to do a few things, will hopefully sort out the Jensen sound system with MP3, DAB radio and 8 track all integrated and hidden so the only visible item is the 8 track.

The springs and frames have all been powder coated and the finish is superb. I'm fortunate to have Cliff only 10 miles away, he's the guy who does Fuzz Townshend's interiors for Car SOS. Only took them to him in June, he's a very busy man, but with results like this, then no wonder. :D

Grant keep your eyes off my steering wheel.
20201105_202303.jpg
20201105_202303.jpg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
20201105_202227.jpg
20201105_202227.jpg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
20201105_202001.jpg
20201105_202001.jpg (95.84 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Bloody Hell Kev..Stunningly beautiful..Great result, we love the old Fords don't we :wink: .. and yes send the wheel down please!! :lol:
Kev..Whats going on with the MP3/Dab and 8 track then?..Are doing that conversion to the 8 track unit yourself?..Spill The Beans My Ole Fruit Bat!! :P
Keep up the good work sport and enjoy the Furlough while it's there..Of course, we didn't get 1p furlough in all this time due to the set up we haveImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage

Return to “General Discussion”