Windscreen installation video

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Hangtowner

Windscreen installation video

Post by Hangtowner »

I think it would be very nice if someone, like a major Jensen restoration shop would make a video of a Interceptor windscreen installation. They could even charge for the video like Moss Motors does for their upholstery kit video. I am particularly interested in how to bend the chrome trim when it is off the car. Put the gasket on without glass and see what happens?
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Windscreen installation video

Post by Chris_R »

Windscreen fitting described here.
https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... een#p98237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very difficult to bend the trim back into the correct shape if it has been distorted.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Keith

Post by Keith »

Chris_R wrote: Very difficult to bend the trim back into the correct shape if it has been distorted.
What method do you find works best, Chris?
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

The chrome was made for each car and has the chassis number on it if original.

The chrome must go in with the seal or it will never seat correctly if you try an fit it afterwards.

I have seen my local windscreen guy fit several and I would never want to have a go. He has struggle on some to get them to fit nicely.

This is one job that should be left to the professionals in my view.

What does not help is that the new seals don't fit that well.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Keith wrote:
Chris_R wrote: Very difficult to bend the trim back into the correct shape if it has been distorted.
The only method find that works is to cut slits in the piece that goes into the rubber so it can be bent to suit the contour of the car.

Steve
Hangtowner

Post by Hangtowner »

Three different "professionals" have done quite poorly. That is why I would like to watch a successful professional on a video.
Hangtowner

Post by Hangtowner »

slits? excellent tip. Thanks.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Keith wrote:
I don't. I bent one and made it worse by trying. I suppose someone more skilled than I might be able to.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
RayR

Post by RayR »

Agree with Chris, I had to do an install with a friend who had done many windscreens. After close to a day with strings, small slits etc. got it done but a poor job, could see where the tweaks had been made and still not a perfect fit. The next Interceptor (current one) elected not to touch it and live with the small mismatches and blend with sealant, after a few months I ignored it and all good now!
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)
DPP

Post by DPP »

I agree with Steve its best left to professionals.

As with every trade some people are better then others, let them know how difficult the job is before they turn.

I always tell them it may go in well first time, but if it dosent then it will be coming back out to be fettled before trying again, and I will pay them for their hours but be prepared to stay until it is right.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I agree with Dave, some windscreen fitters are completely out of there depth when it comes to fitting an Interceptor screen. I have seen some that are obviously fitted by ''novices'' with the chrome strips obviously fitted after the screen is in the car and others that have large amounts of mastic and sealer trying to make them look OK.

Avoid the national chains that are good at fitting your screen in your modern with glue but when it comes to using rubbers and string in a hand built car they struggle.

Before I was introduced to the local guy I had a windscreen that needed replacing on my Interceptor, my Insurance gave me a telephone number and I was told to take my car into Oxford. National Windscreens had got a guy out of retirement who was called in for jobs like mine. He was great and spent nearly 3 hours on it making sure it was perfect. The last time I had a screen in my Van, the fitters arrived and were doing the paperwork in 15 mins.

Steve

Return to “General Discussion”