E10 Fuel to be introduced from next year

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Re: E10 Fuel to be introduced from next year

Post by Steve Payne »

slotcarone wrote:Steve just yesterday I responded the same way when someone that is restoring a 289 Cobra was planning on using 50 year old NOS brake pads! :)
I get it that some people feel keeping there pride and joy original but safety should always come first. I wonder how there insurance company would view it?

In truth some of these modern parts we want to fit will probably out last the car.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Are NOS brake pads such a bad idea? They probably contain asbestos and work far better than the modern ones? Maybe? I went to great lengths on my 1938 Jensen to find NOS brake linings because of just that - they work better!

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

It is the adhesive or the corrosion on the metal under the pad I would be worried about after such a long period.

As far as pad material some of the materials that are now made make Asbestos very old school with out any of the health problems that Asbestos can bring.

I like the EBC range of pads and you can find one to suit your style of driving for most vehicles classic and modern.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

What Steve said exactly!! :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
johnw

Post by johnw »

slotcarone wrote:Steve just yesterday I responded the same way when someone that is restoring a 289 Cobra was planning on using 50 year old NOS brake pads! :)
Ah the authentic taste in the mouth of asbestos dust! The lingering smell of the dust in the garage after a fast run, all the family can enjoy! :( :shock: :?

It is a shame that the pipe from the mechanical pump to the carb on so many of our cars gets replaced with rubber or hacked off at the ends. The old steel piping and insulation should last indefinitely. Replacement mechanical pumps will have internals that better cope with modern fuels, but so many replacements have the inlet and outlets pointing the wrong way. I messed up on the last one I bought. All the underbonnet pipework can be kept original looking in theory. Jegs list a stainless steel fuel pipe from the pump to the carb,I just can't see that being the right one! Flaring stainless pipe and making the correct tight bends doesn't seem viable although it is tempting to try. I would like to make stainless brake piping, and while I am at it Maxaret Valve pipes :D.

Something that is more realistic, is perhaps black braided low pressure brake fluid pipe, to go from the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. Does anyone sell that?
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
kees

Post by kees »

Stainless steel brake pipe is not a good idea. Hard to bend and nearly impossible to make the correct flares.
The way to go is Kunifer. Kunifer or Nicopp lines (copper/nickel/iron alloy) are marine grade, DOT approved, not prone to fatigue cracking like stainless steel or copper tubing (illegal) and very easy to bend and make flares. It does not rot. Used as standard on many cars e.g. Volvo's and used by them from the '70's on.
The only draw back is that it is fairly expensive.
Stainless steel is fine for a fixed fuel line but use rubber or spiralled copper tubing if there is some movement, e.g. body to engine.
Regarding fuel pumps I much prefer the old 3-layered diaphragms of electric SU pumps to the so called modern fuel resistant single layer diaphragms sold by Burlen. I have seen several failures from the modern diaphragms but never found a failing old diaphragm other than when the Mylar layer between fuel and rubber was damaged (punctured or torn by careless fitting) even on 50+ years old pumps. When rebuilding these pumps I always fit the older diaphragms.
Stainless steel braided Teflon brake fluid line can be made up by several shops. Perhaps Goodridge has ready made items?
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

johnw wrote:Something that is more realistic, is perhaps black braided low pressure brake fluid pipe, to go from the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. Does anyone sell that?
https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/fueltex ... raid-hose/

"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
kees

Post by kees »

I doubt this is brake fluid proof.
J-H MkII, 1974
johnw

Post by johnw »

kees wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 am I doubt this is brake fluid proof.
Just checked that. The core is nitrile rubber, which is specifically not recommended for brake fluid.

I have used Kunifer pipe before, and it looks quite a bit more like galvanised pipe than copper. I could try dusting it slightly with silver spray paint before fitting. I might use that in a larger size for the fuel pipe as I would like to flare the ends.

The next question, is have people tried stainless pipe fittings and bleed nipples? Are they easier to get out that the steel ones? Do they snap off less often? What about brass bleed nipples? I don't usually snap fittings off! Many cars I work on have snapped off ones. A rear calliper on a Mk3 springs to mind.

My TVR had factory fitted Kunifer brake pipes and brass fittings. I don't remember if the bleed nipples were brass, but I never had issues with the fittings. However I would prefer silver coloured fittings as they look more original, so if stainless are OK I would refer those.

I recently had a bad experience with some stainless coachbolts bought from a Swiss DIY shop. They were poor quality stainless and sheared when undone. Less than perfect machining, plus I am learning that cost aside, stainless is not always the best material choice.
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi John
Kunifer pipe work is the ideal for brake and fuel lines. It is a copper/Nickel/Iron alloy which does not rust.
Unlike copper pipe it does not become work hardened a crack. It is, however difficult to bend.
I must admit I have never heard of anyone using stainless steel for brake and fuel lines.
Regards
Richard
johnw

Post by johnw »

RichardGibson wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 pm Hi John
Kunifer pipe work is the ideal for brake and fuel lines. It is a copper/Nickel/Iron alloy which does not rust.
Unlike copper pipe it does not become work hardened a crack. It is, however difficult to bend.
I must admit I have never heard of anyone using stainless steel for brake and fuel lines.
Regards
Richard
Some of the US Parts warehouses stock stainless fuel sections pre made to go from the pump to the carb on Mopar. I suspect they are not correct for most of us. Some US forums discuss making your own stainless brake pipes. Apparently it can be difficult to flare. It does seem to last but is not readily available here. Automec in the UK supply stainless pipe fittings. I am wondering if they are better than zinc plated steel in terms of seizing in calipers and/or shearing off.
kees

Post by kees »

Flaring SS pipes can be a problem and SS is prone to fatigue cracking.
Why bother? Cunifer is known to be an excellent and durable replacement for the standard brake pipes and is used by many modern car manufacturers! I don't get it.
J-H MkII, 1974

Return to “General Discussion”