painting tips

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
ChrisP

Re: painting tips

Post by ChrisP »

To all who contributed to this thread thanks.
I will try to do a recap of all I have learnt before I start painting and maybe some photos to see how it comes out. Some of this might seem obvious but I am including it anyway.
First the area has to be clean and dust free.
Check you can move around the car with your spray gun and airline freely.
You can buy and use tack cloths for final wipe down before painting.
Spray gun does not have to be top of the range, if you are spraying lots of cars get a pro-gun
If you are spraying one car get a cheap gun but reasonable someone suggested a Sealey 701
By all accounts it’s a very good gun for the money (it’s what I will be using)
Fit a pressure gauge regulator to the gun.
My car was stripped to bare metal (not blasted) and as repairs and welding progressed brush painted with anti-rust paint locally. This does not sand well. Recommended 180 grit and turn the DA up to top speed expect a lot of clogged sanding discs.
For the paint job I intend to spray etch primer and do all the final rubbing down and smoothing on the primer coat or coats. If any panels are damaged I will use Bondo or similar slow cure filler.
Once this is good I will be spraying at least 2 coats of colour Water base paint and then without touching the car at least 2 coats of clear coat.
Spray gun nozzle size 1.3mm air pressure 2.0 to 2.5 bar.(to suit paint specification)
Spray gun nozzle size may need to be 1.8mm for primer.
It is better to spray coats as soon as the previous coat has gone off. Not wait 24 hours or stuff like that the paint will bond better that way And less chance of dust between coats.
The hotter the booth (within reason) the better if it’s warm you get less runs.
I am going for royal blue and Tan interior.
Under the car I will add a underseal protection however I am not a big fan of the sticky type
Underseals so I am still searching for this.
I hope this may be of use
Chris
johnw

Post by johnw »

Fantastic summary. Keep us updated please. Would love to know how water based paint works out at home. Blue/beige sounds great!
Will look into a pressure gauge regulator on the gun thanks for the tip!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
kees

Post by kees »

In the very distant past (late 1960's) I used a low pressure spray gun fed by an old fashioned vacuum cleaner on which you can connect the hose at the pressure/rear side. I used synthetic paint. It was done in a large shed that had been hosed down the previous day to get rid of the dirt and dust. It was also scorching hot the day of the spraying. The results were surprisingly good but I must also add that the colour was off-white which does not show imperfections as clearly as on a dark colour.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I found this photo of a very nice Jensen-Healey exactly the colour i want.
Don't know how i got the photo it was some time ago.
Does anybody know this car colour RAL code.Or by any chance the owner is a club member
and can tell me the RAL number
Longshot but forever hopeful
Chris
Attachments
hardtop.jpg
hardtop.jpg (181.92 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Looking at the little spot lights on the front it could be Rob. JHV8 on the forum.
IMG_20200105_131739261.jpg
IMG_20200105_131739261.jpg (286.04 KiB) Viewed 3827 times
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

In reading you summery for tips given you stated that the warmer the better for spraying. That is not correct. The statement should have been the appropriate reducer for the temperature spraying. If you do not have appropriate flash off time you can wind up with solvent popping or drying of the top layer with solvents trying to escape but not escaping but entrapped in you finish. This is the reason for fast medium. Slow and extra slow reducer RacerJoe
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks Joe i stand corrected
The guy i was watching on youtube was in Australia and was talking about it being 35 degrees in his booth
and how you can get runs if its too cold.but yes i guess it depends on your paint and the mix.
I will look see if it details this on the paint spec when it finally arrives,
Many thanks
Chris
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

Hi Chris , yes that’s my car and stupidly I asked the painter to spray it in a Red Bull racing colour, which at the time was blue with some purple in it. I haven’t been able to match it since. A close colour, although more blue without purple is Jaguar Pacific Blue.
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Hi Rob
thanks for the post, The car looks great, if you don't mind i will send the picture to the paint company
that is supplying my stuff.
Maybe with all this whizz bang new technology they can analyze the photo and get me a colour similar
thanks again Chris
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

ChrisP wrote:Hi Rob
thanks for the post, The car looks great, if you don't mind i will send the picture to the paint company
that is supplying my stuff.
Maybe with all this whizz bang new technology they can analyze the photo and get me a colour similar
thanks again Chris
Hi Chris, good luck have you noticed my car looks slightly different depending on light conditions?
What is the company can they mix aerosols if so I have a paint chip I could send if they have one of those fancy scopic things.
Website for pictures is in my signature.
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Hi Rob
I don't know yet what they will say but I believe they are very good.
I will add a link at the end. I am sure they do spray cans made to measure because
I have been talking to them for one for my BMW motorbike.
I will keep you updated on what they say about the photos.
PS its a bit slow at the moment seems there's a bug going round.

Peinturevoiture.fr

Best Regards
Chris

Return to “General Discussion”