Interesting Info

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Grant

Interesting Info

Post by Grant »

My LaraImage called me in yesterday to tell me she had seen a Jensen Steering Wheel for sale, When I rang the Guy we were chatting on the phone for a long time because he only lived 2 minutes from Kelvin Way, his father was a trimmer in the Jensen factory, his Grandad was a welder in the Factory and his uncle used to fit the head-linings.
It was a really great chat we had.. Lovely :P
The steering Wheel was an early Mk2 Wheel and Phil Fish(Fishboy on the forum here) is having it for his early Mk2.. That was a good day for us all, the Guy with the steering Wheel was very passionate about Jensens and his connection with it all, as was his Dad, Grandad and Uncle, he said they all loved working at the Factory, he said he went to the auction in 1977 but was only a kid and remembered rummaging about in the skip there for old pictures and brochures, obviously looking back now he realises there was much more valuable/Interesting stuff in that skip than paperwork :lol:
Here's a picture of the steering Wheel that we got for Phil's Car >>>
>>
Early Mk 2 steering Wheel.jpg
Early Mk 2 steering Wheel.jpg (60.94 KiB) Viewed 6027 times
>>
That's it FolksImage...
Thats it Folks.jpg
Thats it Folks.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 6027 times
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Martin R

Re: Interesting Info

Post by Martin R »

Nice one Grant 8)
There are lots of stories yet to be told by former Jensen people (& relations) I'm sure.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Grant

Post by Grant »

Martin R wrote:Nice one Grant 8)
There are lots of stories yet to be told by former Jensen people (& relations) I'm sure.
Hello Mr Martin :P ..Yes, I was so interested in it all I rang him back again last night and kept him on the phone for another hour, but that was more about his car itself that he had. It was a factory development car which sounds like it was the very 1st Mk3, even fitted with an SP bonnet from the factory. It went off to GKN from Kelvin Way and was used as a reference for the FFF by the sounds of it.. a very interesting, nice passionate Jensen chap, as he was more than happy to tell me all he knew and wanted to happily share itImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Perhaps he could write his reminisces for the JOC magazine? This stuff should be written down for posterity while these chaps are still around :)
Grant

Post by Grant »

Frankoid wrote:Perhaps he could write his reminisces for the JOC magazine? This stuff should be written down for posterity while these chaps are still around :)
Hello Francis My Ole ChinaImage
YESImage.. Send Ulric round there thenImage..that jobs got his name written all over itImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Fishyboy

Re: New (to me) MkII steering wheel - Thanks to Grant

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all,
And here is the steering safely home!
Many thanks to Grant for finding this wheel (and more importantly not buying it for his collection), which will replace the Motor-Lita one currently on my MkII. Anyone got a spare correct center?
Phil
Attachments
IMG_5041.JPG
IMG_5041.JPG (88.64 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588 - Now sold
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Fishyboy wrote:Anyone got a spare correct center?
Might be worth ringing Robeys, when I got my MK2 wheel I rung them in the vain hope they had a centre and horn push and they did, the best bit it was still at 1970's prices. :lol:

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
kees

Post by kees »

Steve Payne wrote:
Fishyboy wrote:Anyone got a spare correct center?
Might be worth ringing Robeys, when I got my MK2 wheel I rung them in the vain hope they had a centre and horn push and they did, the best bit it was still at 1970's prices. :lol:

Steve
I may have a few centres. I think they are black or dark red, not sure. It is a quite a few years ago when I saw them. If I remember correctly they are NOS but with some slight paint loss on the rim.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Grant

Post by Grant »

kees wrote:I may have a few centres. I think they are black or dark red, not sure. It is a quite a few years ago when I saw them. If I remember correctly they are NOS but with some slight paint loss on the rim.
Kees Oudesluijs
I've sent you a PM Kees :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Really nice wheel Phil and Grant. Trying my best to clean up / save this one from a Mk1 that has been neglected for years.
Attachments
AEE0EEA7-9AEA-42DF-A6CA-EE421048DB19.jpeg
AEE0EEA7-9AEA-42DF-A6CA-EE421048DB19.jpeg (267.89 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all,
I managed to restore this steering wheel a couple of years ago. Not from a Jensen but at least it was fitted in the Jensen factory (to a Volvo P1800!).
Phil
Attachments
Before 1.JPG
Before 1.JPG (94.1 KiB) Viewed 5734 times
Before 2.JPG
Before 2.JPG (90.91 KiB) Viewed 5734 times
After.JPG
After.JPG (91.62 KiB) Viewed 5734 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1968 Volvo 1800S
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

While we are on a steering wheel jamboree, last night I watched an Agatha Christie TV programme, Pale Horse. Lots of staring into the distance and significant looks, you know the sort of thing.
The main character drove a magnificent 1950s Lagonda drophead, which featured quite often. I was delighted to see the steering wheel and horn push were identical to that of the 541. (I think I am amongst fellow addicts here, so I don't mind admitting my excitement).
Even better, the close-ups showed the Bakelite type rim was bound in black sticky tape, just like most 541s with splitting plastic!
Incoming Editor designate
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

VFK44 wrote:While we are on a steering wheel jamboree, last night I watched an Agatha Christie TV programme, Pale Horse. Lots of staring into the distance and significant looks, you know the sort of thing.
The main character drove a magnificent 1950s Lagonda drophead, which featured quite often. I was delighted to see the steering wheel and horn push were identical to that of the 541. (I think I am amongst fellow addicts here, so I don't mind admitting my excitement).
Even better, the close-ups showed the Bakelite type rim was bound in black sticky tape, just like most 541s with splitting plastic!
That must be the Bluemels 18" steering wheel, used in Aston-Martin and Bristol amongst others. I once saw 541S 100/1080 in a very sorry state at Medway Interceptors about 30 years ago. I remember it had a different steering wheel with a horn ring push. I now think It was a Jaguar Mk10 steering wheel, but it had the 541S shield badge encased in a clear polyester convex dome in the centre. It looked very professional. I wonder if that car still survives. It was a rare manual but too far gone for me to save at the time :(
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all
The new steering wheel looks great. So much better than (the same size) Moto-Lita.
All I need now is the correct center!

Kees
Did you find your NOS centers?

Phil
Attachments
IMG_5046.JPG
IMG_5046.JPG (98.91 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1968 Volvo 1800S
kees

Post by kees »

Haven't looked yet. It may be a while before I find them if at all.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977

Return to “General Discussion”