Tesla / Electric Vehicles

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Richie
V8 Lover

Re: Tesla / Electric Vehicles

Post by Richie »

I've had custody of "my" Tesla for just over a year now.

And, as a car enthusiast, I'm still properly thrilled by it. The electric propulsion is vastly superior to combustion and such fun to drive. It's in a different league to combustion. Refined and relaxed or as racy and responsive as you like.

We can continue to celebrate and enjoy our classic past, whilst looking forward to a new chapter of exciting driving ahead.
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

That's good to know, Richie.
I posted the message before yours because I thought it was amusing, but according to Reuters, it was partially false.
Here's the correction.
Regards,
Adrian Harlow

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SL2N2N60XA
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Thanks for posting on this. I had a similar predicament and opted for the Jaguar I-Pace. It’s being put together at the moment ( another few months to go) but looking forward to it. The low BIK on electric vehicle is a big incentive. In terms of home charging - there is the £500 grant from the government that a recognised installer will claim on your behalf. The average estimated cost of installing a dedicated home charging point is circa £1000 depending on locations and check that you have a spare fuse way and supply capacity in your consumer unit for the installation.
Attachments
2E378880-3A4C-44F7-847F-1906A0976B9C.jpeg
2E378880-3A4C-44F7-847F-1906A0976B9C.jpeg (238.04 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
40A81F23-E73F-4EEA-898F-5EDF20D794B7.jpeg
40A81F23-E73F-4EEA-898F-5EDF20D794B7.jpeg (239.6 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Good choice Karan. I've read good things about those.

Whilst the low BIK, and lower running costs, are indeed incentives, such breaks will of course only be temporary. Their better driving dynamics however will be permanent and the exciting thing as car fans about that is that they will only improve from an already impressive point.

As purchase prices of EVs continue to fall, future governments, regardless of their colour, will have to recoup the revenue lost from fuel duty...Road pricing perhaps?

At which point, overall running costs will, I suspect, be highly comparable to those of ICE vehicles today.

In the medium to long term therefore, I don't see lower cost as the benefit. But better driving will be.
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I agree. The BIK goes up to 2% in April 2022. There are some catches associated with the U.K. government grant of £500 so worthwhile reading the publication about the scheme. The I-pace has been adopted by tech giant google to be its first all electric air quality monitor and to help update google maps.

The start up and sound is not the same though Ritchie!!!
Stuartjensen
JOC International Weekend Organiser

Post by Stuartjensen »

I understand in the States you can order a sound effects pack which mimics the sound of your choice of internal comustion engine (including pure jet) in the can analysing the speed and controls.

Can't say it would be on my shopping list but isn't it glorious that we like different things? :D

Currently in France with our tesla, the ferry we normally use was cancelled so had to divert via Cean, managed Manchester to the Brittany/Vendee border with a single 40 min supercharge in Havant. Since we were last here loads of little speed limits have sprung up, the autopilot has been faultless at spotting them.

Highlight so far? Being searched at Portsmouth for explosives.

"We need to search the engine compartment sir, terrorists have learned that the petrol/oil fumes confuse our sensors."

"I don't have an engine compartment".

"OK where is the engine then?"

"It doesn't have one, its electric."

"How do you charge the battery without an engine then?"

"I plug it in"

"Please open your bonnet anyway sir"

I do so and she opens the tow bar bag then the bag with the charging cable, extracting the latter.

"What is this sir?"

"The charging cable, you know so that I can plug it in".

At this point a senior officer arrives, tells her to put the cable back and send me on my way.

Happy days, sun's out, I'm off for a swim in the sea
Stuart Allan
Jensen Healey Owner for four decades
Now an SP as well
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Brilliant Stuart! Just brilliant! :lol:
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

One of my customers has ordered an Electric Corsa for his wife, he wants his own electric charging point but the electrician who was going to install it has been declined permission as there is already to many charging points in his postcode :shock:

Is this going to be the next thing when you buy a house?

I can see it now you get home and you need to charge your car and your neighbour is using his so you cant get to work or take the kids to school the next day.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Steve,
They are really good, I can tell you.
I just bought one for my wife.
images.jpeg-3.jpg
images.jpeg-3.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

That sounds very fishy to me Steve.
There are various criteria that must be met in order to claim the grant toward charger installation cost - is this perhaps your neighbours position?

No big deal if so - I didn't bother with the grant. It can be done DIY or a 'standard' electrician can do the job. I found that the sheme approved electricians (ie those that can claim back £500) were more than £500 more expensive than those unable to do so.

I suggest your customer simply uses a different electrician.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I will tell him next week when I see him.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Food for thought after a beautiful sunny day in the UK.

At time of writing (21.50) over 48% of our electric used for charging cars etc is being produced by Gas (CCGT)

Website is excellent in its detail

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

John P
Attachments
9580372D-0CED-4A31-84B4-3D7641396DC1.jpeg
9580372D-0CED-4A31-84B4-3D7641396DC1.jpeg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Good website, John, but how sad that with thousands of unsightly wind turbines currently blighting vast areas of the countryside, their contribution amounts to a paltry 1.77%.

Adrian Harlow
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

AH1951 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:33 am Good website, John, but how sad that with thousands of unsightly wind turbines currently blighting vast areas of the countryside, their contribution amounts to a paltry 1.77%.

Adrian Harlow
100% Agree Adrian

Even now close to midday on a glorious day we still have coal being used (2.75%) !!

John P
Attachments
98C2BF2C-27B1-46E3-B79E-7C633B33E109.jpeg
98C2BF2C-27B1-46E3-B79E-7C633B33E109.jpeg (99.98 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Grant

Post by Grant »

Just to show how can the Goverments want to push everyone into electric cars claiming it is better for the environmentImage, Everywhere in everyway it seems to look like most goverment things seem to have a scammy side to themImage..I just saw this >>>
>>>
Here’s are some interesting facts:
Total fuel consumption of U.S. airlines is approximately 19 billion gallons annually.
Total fuel consumption for mining Ore for construction of electric car batteries is approximately 21 billion gallons annually.
The 21 billion gallons of fuel burned can only produce enough Ore to build 250,000 electric car batteries.
The lifespan of an electric battery is 10 years and is not renewable. By 2050 these batteries will fill landfills with 50 million pounds of waste that does not break down.
I wonder if people would still believe in electric power cars, vehicles or equipment if they knew how massive the carbon emissions footprint really was?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage

Return to “General Discussion”