Tesla / Electric Vehicles

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Keith

Re: Tesla / Electric Vehicles

Post by Keith »

Richie wrote:I felt that there may be little point going to a Tesla / EV forum where any shortcomings etc may be glossed over by those who can see no wrong.
That all sounds very sensible, but what forum have you ever been on that "any shortcomings are glossed over"? Exactly the opposite and I'm a member of many forums, both modern and classic. Most of the posts are about problems!

With the Tesla, for example, you'll learn that the interior heater has a habit of packing in, after the cold weather starts and you actually start to use the heater...

While the car is under warranty you report problems via an app. They may, or may not, get back to you about your problem. But you may have to trawl their website and keep searching until you can find a UK telephone number to contact them. Then, theyy may, or may not, get back to you about your problem. But whatever, it won't be quick. Where's your nearest Tesla dealer? If it's close, you can always pop in and throw the keys at them.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
johnw

Post by johnw »

felixkk wrote:
even when the petrol station is closed
My next everyday car, I think, will be pre IT. Something from the 80s (I hope those cars are pre IT?). Anyway, momentarily one of the sensors is acting up on our 2009 Subaru we ended up buying, although the mechanicals are fine. And the thought of spending money on a sensor is annoying me...
1.jpg
You should have kept the FF Felix! The same ABS 4WD goodness without the badness. However, now the deed is done you can probably pick up knock off Chinese sensors, or the genuine item off ebay.

For your next 80s exotic, why not try something local, is the Albar Sonic 80s enough for you?
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

johnw wrote:
felixkk wrote:
even when the petrol station is closed
My next everyday car, I think, will be pre IT. Something from the 80s (I hope those cars are pre IT?). Anyway, momentarily one of the sensors is acting up on our 2009 Subaru we ended up buying, although the mechanicals are fine. And the thought of spending money on a sensor is annoying me...
1.jpg
You should have kept the FF Felix! The same ABS 4WD goodness without the badness. However, now the deed is done you can probably pick up knock off Chinese sensors, or the genuine item off ebay.

For your next 80s exotic, why not try something local, is the Albar Sonic 80s enough for you?
I wish the FF was a viable everyday car for us- or the Albar Sonic 80s, whatever that is. I had to convince my wife that a Subaru Justy was not an option that I would consider. Back to Richie, I don't understand: do you pay 5'000 less in taxes or can you deduct 5'000 from your taxable income? If you pay 5'000 less in taxes why doesn't everyone have a Tesla?
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

I think the special tax treatment only applies if you are offered a company car by your employer and the usual taxation of that benefit (benefit-in-kind) is not applied to electric cars.
Not all of us can get a company car.
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Pious Prius.jpg
Pious Prius.jpg (27.38 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

From the Telegraph.
Screenshot_20200223-132408_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200223-132408_Samsung Internet.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Screenshot_20200223-134306_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200223-134306_Samsung Internet.jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 5884 times
timmo

Post by timmo »

Who could possibly police this rubbish!!
What possible reason can there be that these vehicles that never venture onto a public road need insurance?

They will be taxing our chimneys next.......
CV8III 112/2418
1972 Vw Type2 Westfalia Camper
1964 Lambretta Li 150 Silver Special
1973 Mk1 Jensen-Healey
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

timmo wrote:Who could possibly police this rubbish!!
What possible reason can there be that these vehicles that never venture onto a public road need insurance?
A few court cases, a couple that reached the European Court of Justice and another in this country that didn't. In the first case a man was injured by a tractor being reversed and his claim for compensation went all the way to the ECJ that ruled in his favour. In another a man took an uninsured vehicle (not his own vehicle) on private land in Portugal, crashed it killing himself but also killing 2 other people. The Portuguese Compensation Authority paid out for the death of the other 2 people and then sought to recover their payout from the owner of the vehicle. The ECJ held in their favour that the vehicle owner should have insured the vehicle. In the UK a man was crushed and paralysed by an uninsured 4x4 being driven on private land and the High Court have ruled that the Motor Insurance Bureau must payout compensation from the pool that covers uninsured drivers. More recently a woman in Worthing was killed by a cyclist, who of course is not insured.
It's a difficult situation. As there are more and more of us and we are using more and more of these things there are bound to be more tragic incidents. We now have electric scooters capable of up to 30mph buzzing along our streets. Uninsured. How would you feel if you were hit by one and as a result was paralysed from the neck down and had no recompense to pay for your care for the rest of your life. Or perhaps you are out for a walk on a footpath across the South Downs and one of these quad bikes (uninsured) came out of nowhere and ploughed into you leaving you with (perhaps) a broken leg and pelvis and now off work for some months while it repaired (or perhaps didn't repair properly). I doubt you would be so philosophical as to say "Oh well, that's life, my loss". You would want something for your pains.
Last edited by Chris_R on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

timmo wrote: They will be taxing our chimneys next.......
or windows. but Chris makes a good point. what ever happened to personal insurance?

note from a website
You can protect you and your family in case of loss of earnings brought about by serious injury by taking out personal accident insurance. These policies pay out if you suffer serious injury or death as the result of an accident. The Financial Ombudsman, which oversees the insurance industry and advocates on behalf of consumers, defines an accident as "an unforeseen or unexpected and unfortunate occurrence."

It's important to remember that this cover won't be activated if you die or are injured through natural causes, including disease and sickness. You'll need to seek out other cover, such as a critical illness policy, to protect yourself against those scenarios. But for sudden, violent, and unexpected incidents, whether in the workplace or elsewhere, you'll want personal accident cover.

Many life insurance and fully comprehensive car insurance policies will include personal accident cover, but not all will, so read their terms and conditions carefully.
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

I was surprised at the recklessness with which some bicycles were ridden through pedestrian areas in Linköping, Sweden.
A woman I worked with had been knocked down in a big impact from behind and hospitalized for 4 months. She received SEK 500,000 in compensation. Three British contract engineers had bicycle accidents in winter and one of them needed hospital treatment. I resisted exhortation to ride a bicycle as I feared falling off it. I had that crash with a Porsche instead. My insurance company paid out £87,506-60 but as I was not prosecuted, I shall have no problems re-insuring in the UK, other than losing my NCB.
20180513_165413.jpg
20180513_165413.jpg (198.65 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
johnw

Post by johnw »

timmo wrote: They will be taxing our chimneys next.......
Welcome to Switzerland. £16 a year!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

I guess I must a forgotten to pay since I was unaware of that tax :shock: Or maybe we paid but I can't remember declaring how many chimneys we have
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

And isn't there an (optional) Church Tax in Switzerland?
And Germany?
kees

Post by kees »

AH1951 wrote:And isn't there an (optional) Church Tax in Switzerland?
And Germany?
There is in most countries. Churches, mosques etc. are generally subsidized in one way or another out of general taxes. So we all pay for them, religious or not. Same with schools on a religious basis. Optional (voluntary) church contributions can not be regarded as tax.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Not optional here in Switzerland. The state collects taxes for the church(es). You pay if you are catholic or protestant, but I‘m not sure about other religions. If you‘re not in one of the churches you don‘t pay. It may even be that companies pay church tax, and that gets split up between the churches- but I‘m not completely sure.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Return to “General Discussion”