Tesla / Electric Vehicles

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
AH1951

Re: Tesla / Electric Vehicles

Post by AH1951 »

kees wrote:
Steve Payne wrote:
Have it built in Japan!!
Not in GERMANY?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51525673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screenshot_20200217-105757_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-105757_Samsung Internet.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Richie,
Looks like the drive unit is hard to wear out!
Screenshot_20200217-172806_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-172806_Samsung Internet.jpg (68.1 KiB) Viewed 5416 times
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

That's reassuring.
I wonder what the interior would look like after a few miles with the kids on board...
Grant

Post by Grant »

Richie wrote:I wonder what the interior would look like after a few miles with the kids on board...
Marked, Stinky & Horrible!!Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

https://tomharrisonjr.com/tesla-model-3 ... 6843629bd9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
00200212.jpg
00200212.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Richie wrote:That's reassuring.
I wonder what the interior would look like after a few miles with the kids on board...
You will either get an answer for this Richie

OR

Still left wondering
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Time will tell. At least the interior only comes in a choice of black or black!

After my test drive yesterday, I'm really looking forward to delivery though.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

When's delivery Richie? Excited for you.

It is strange that the talk of range anxiety does not address one big difference. A Tesla 3 might well have a range of 320 miles, similar many internal combustion cars. But this is only when fully charged. For example, my 750+ mileage range petrol car showed the low fuel light recently. I ignored it and just drove home - plenty of miles left. Next day I needed it again. The projected range dropped from 50 miles to 10. Never mind, can't be bothered to refuel, drove home again. I'll just plan to refuel next time I'm out. Of course, next time my wife suddenly needed a lift and I had to rush to a petrol station and refuel. But here's the thing: 5 minutes later I'd slopped half a tank in and was ready to go 400 miles again. My wife would have killed me if I'd made her wait until the batteries recharged.

I must admit I have a petrol station literally at the end of the road, and also you can "home charge" your EV even when the petrol station is closed.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

even when the petrol station is closed
What time do they close in your neck of the woods?!? Well done on your Tesla Richie, I'm sure it'll be fun to drive. The people I've spoken to who have one, are very enthusiastic about them. From one person who has a very early S, I heard that he now needs to exchange the batteries. But I have no idea how long they are supposed to last.

My next everyday car, I think, will be pre IT. Something from the 80s (I hope those cars are pre IT?). I actually proposed the Tesla 3 to my wife when we were looking around for a car, but she said no way: you can't hear those electric cars when you're riding on your bicycle. Can't argue with that. Anyway, momentarily one of the sensors is acting up on our 2009 Subaru we ended up buying, although the mechanicals are fine. And the thought of spending money on a sensor is annoying me...
1.jpg
1.jpg (169.81 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I'm not sure when delivery will be. It was ordered 2 weeks ago with a rather vague delivery time of "three months"... I'll keep you posted but, e especially after yesterday's test drive, it can't get here soon enough for me. Actually, it could wait until I have the home charging station installed. And once that's done, an overnight charge will mean that other than the very rare occasions when I'll be driving over say 160 miles a day, range is unlikely to be an issue. I hope.
johnw

Post by johnw »

AH1951 wrote:Richie,
Looks like the drive unit is hard to wear out!
Screenshot_20200217-172806_Samsung Internet.jpg
I guess the smooth power delivery helps significantly reducing wear. The ABS sensors will limit power delivery until any backlash is taken up, same with regeneration. The Helical gears mean the contact patch moves along a long surface as the gears mesh, so a small moving contact patch for low friction, with a large wear area. According to one youtuber the oil to use is the "fill for life" Dextron 6. Tesla specify a change at 15k to get rid of initial wear in particles and dust during assembly, then change every 50k miles/2 years. I suppose you would get away with Dextron 2/3 as well if you buy in bulk!

We might be able to use Dextron 6 in our transmissions if you believe the blurb. Has anyone tried it?
"It also provides improved performance in older GM vehicles, wherever DEXRON is
specified."
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
CF-105

Post by CF-105 »

I’ve got a bunch on Tesla driving experience, even though I have yet to own one. I’ve probably done about 5000 km behind the wheel, and visited numerous Superchargers and other chargers along the way.

I don’t really have an ace to grind either way, but I am an enthusiast driver, and I love driving cars and being connected to them.

My thoughts:
As a driver, except for immediate torque to play point and shoot in traffic, Tesla’s are not fun to drive. It might as well be a video game. Zero feedback of any kind. No fun in the chassis at all. It’s bloody heavy, so you never lose that feeling of tons (literally) of mass, almost like a big SUV, even if the centre of gravity is low.

Range anxiety is a real thing, and it especially becomes spooky on a hot or cold day when you are stuck in traffic. The range numbers start creeping downward, and the mental computer starts calculating distance vs time in traffic.

While some folks try to talk a good talk about stopping for lunch or a coffee while charging, there will be lots of times when you just want to get in and out quickly, and that won’t happen. An hour is a long wait to fill up.

Even worse, the Supercharger network has become extremely popular, which usually means you get there to find that all Superchargers are occupied, there is a lineup, and a couple are out of service. I think my longest wait to access one was 45 minutes. Plus an hour to recharge.

Tesla is not yet ready for prime time as an auto manufacturer. Parts availability is often a problem. A friend had a serious enough accident in his Tesla, which likely would have taken 2-3 weeks to repair with a regular car. Beginning to end, it was 6 months. Over 4 months for the first repair, and then another two months to get the stuff that wasn’t done properly fixed.

Tesla customer service is fantastic though.

The bloody iPad in the dash is no where near as good as proper controls. You are always taking your eyes off the road to find the right place on a flat screen to touch. Not that Tesla is the only one guilty of this, but they do it more then anyone else.

Again, if you are a keen driver, keep in mind that most of the raves about the Tesla driving experience are all about this things it does, other then how it drives. It is the first step to the self driving car.

As far as online commentary, please keep in mind that Tesla is more a religion then a marque. You can easily fall afoul of Tesla folks, most of whom will not stand for anyone saying anything negative about their cult. The owners are not typically car people, and what they love is not what most car folks love in their driving experience.

Just my few cents/pence.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

The owners are not typically car people, and what they love is not what most car folks love in their driving experience.
That's why I'll be really interested in Richie's feedback, as he never really wanted a Tesla but is quite ready to accept a good deal.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

As far as online commentary, please keep in mind that Tesla is more a religion then a marque. You can easily fall afoul of Tesla folks, most of whom will not stand for anyone saying anything negative about their cult. The owners are not typically car people, and what they love is not what most car folks love in their driving experience.
I have noticed this... not actually driving one, but just by including Tesla drivers in conversations about classic / exotic cars...
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

That's why i came here for comments - I felt that there may be little point going to a Tesla / EV forum where any shortcomings etc may be glossed over by those who can see no wrong.

Rest assured, I'll report back warts and all - the reason for my selection of a Tesla is entirely due to the tax savings over anything comparable. I found it really good to drive, (though admittedly that was for only 30 minutes) and hope that daily overnight home charging will negate any range anxiety for the vast majority of my driving. Time will tell - but, I will report the full picture, good and bad.

Return to “General Discussion”