Sale of new Petrol & Diesel only cars to be banned from 2035

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
RockyUSA

Re: Sale of new Petrol & Diesel only cars to be banned from

Post by RockyUSA »

I thought this was funny....
Greta...
Greta...
A0D239BD-7BBC-4D4D-9BA8-FF3F3FE92836.jpeg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

https://youtu.be/Ow3rxq7U1mA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this happens if you're suddenly loosing your aerodynamics -you suddenly have the feeling of a pilot, but no wings :?
(was 1999 at 24h Le Mans, was there as member of another team)
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Wolfgang wrote:https://youtu.be/Ow3rxq7U1mA

this happens if you're suddenly loosing your aerodynamics -you suddenly have the feeling of a pilot, but no wings :?
(was 1999 at 24h Le Mans, was there as member of another team)
I enjoyed reading your posts, you should start a separate thread and tell us more...
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

AH1951 wrote:This talk of Vmax got me wondering what the stopping/braking distance would be from 160 mph, the fastest I've ever driven, in Germany of course.
The figure for stopping from 261 mph, such as could be done in a Bugatti Chiron, is over 1,100 metres.
Braking technology has significantly improved since the UK official braking distances were calculated and published.
The Bugatti Chiron in the hands of Juan Pablo Montoya stops from 400kmh (249mph) in 9.3 seconds and 491m. At 70mph the UK official figures are 75m stopping distance (not including thinking distance). A Ferrari 488 GTB will stop from 70mph in less than 40m, a Bugatti Veyron in 45m, a Subaru WRX in 50m.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Chris_R wrote:
AH1951 wrote:This talk of Vmax got me wondering what the stopping/braking distance would be from 160 mph, the fastest I've ever driven, in Germany of course.
The figure for stopping from 261 mph, such as could be done in a Bugatti Chiron, is over 1,100 metres.
Braking technology has significantly improved since the UK official braking distances were calculated and published.
The Bugatti Chiron in the hands of Juan Pablo Montoya stops from 400kmh (249mph) in 9.3 seconds and 491m. At 70mph the UK official figures are 75m stopping distance (not including thinking distance). A Ferrari 488 GTB will stop from 70mph in less than 40m, a Bugatti Veyron in 45m, a Subaru WRX in 50m.
Juan Pablo quite for sure has done it with slicks, optimum tire temperature and warm brakes, then you have to take in respect that he is knowing his breaking point to be prepared for the next curve more or less exactly - so the reaction time is minimized. We als have done brake tests at Yas Marina with the Veyron, my brake point was around 80-100m later than the owner's, depends also on the setup (I used the paddles, he the computerized down shift). The F430 F1 we measured (semi slicks Michelin, tire temperature around 62+ degrees centigrade) at around 55m (100km/h) in modus 'race' paddle shifted, in modus 'cruise' with all the electronic 'helpers' and no paddles in use around 47m. reaction time was also 'optimized' because starting full stop session with a pylone -so you're knowing your brakepoint.This with standard brake pads.
On the road, fully concentrated, unexpected situation, normal tires (temp around 50 degrees centigrade, cold brakes) you'll be good when stopping the car between down from 100km/h in 80-90m (Ferrari as mentioned with carbon discs, standard brake pads)
Decisive factor is the human reaction time - and afterwards track conditions...
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
kees

Post by kees »

Chris_R wrote:
Even your bog standard day to day car (Golf, Astra, Panda, Hyundai etc.) will not be far of the 50m.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Wolfgang, You obviously know much more about the subject than I do, I was only going by published information. The braking distances for the other cars I got from Autocar road tests (https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/ran ... ver-made#1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and I agree they do not include reaction times, purely the time the brakes are applied. I would hope that those figures are not optimised using techniques such as you mention otherwise it's not a proper road test.
The Chiron figure you can read about here appears to have been using "standard" Chiron tyres (not that there is anything "standard" about these tyres!) and does also deploy its air brake! https://www.bugatti.com/media/news/2017 ... ld-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you add 1 second to the braking distance for reaction time that would add another 111m to give less than 600m for the Chiron, a heck of a long way when you're trying to stop in an emergency but quite a bit less than the 1,100 that the calculator gives.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

hi guys,

please keep these discussions alive and ongoing, I like to bring in my experience of a little bit more than 40 years being more or less involved in racing and related technologies. So this only a small input from my side and I'm always interested and learning out of your thougths.
Kees is also right, as per my knowledge a Golf stops from 100km/h in around 38 meters, but measured when the brake light gets first on, then taking the turns of one or more wheels until the car completely stopped, multiplied with wheel circumference - then you get the distance but ex reaction time and track condition.
A reaction time in standard situation (when you listening to radio, chatting with your passenger(s), checking your navigation system, phoning, etc) of one second is very fast (and this including shifting your foot from throttle to brake) and this will end up in additional 28 meters at 100km/h not taking in respect track and weather conditions.
I'll have to check my recent track records, but as I remember I started my braking sequence at around 300-350m ahead of the double ninety, always at the same point, so no 'reaction time', which would end up at 400km/h in around 120m!, and then going down to 80-100 (that's the speed you're able to manage the curve), and we're all braking with the left - also Juan Pablo, so in this case you're coming to the braking distance of Juan Pablo doing a full stop - but please always take in mind: these are race conditions.

If you like to try it on track you're invited - I'm in summer times very often with my interested customers on tracks here in Belgium, France and Germany. Okay it costs some money but its great fun... 8) :lol:

Let's have fun with our cars, yesterday I went first time cruising on a Belgian highway with 120km/h with my nice red Diva, it was fun pure. Some kilometres to go at home I lost all my instruments except speedo, being sure the radiator fans will be in function due to my installed backup system, but not knowing if my brake lights working I decided to stop for check up on an Autobahn fuel station (at the end it was only the fuse :D ), but opening the hood you're having immediately guests... :lol:

Enjoy
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

I think the answer is never drive too fast in any conditions that you need to worry about how fast your vehicle can stop...
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Last edited by felixkk on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

distances should be no problem, from time to time having had the chance to take place on a co-pilots seat of Lear Jets and Embraers supplied with systems like in the Boeings and Airbus of this world the whole process is automatised, computerised. After start you switch on the autopilot at desired height, he also controls turbulences and fog, clouds, rain, storm, eventuality of blizzards, etc. gives you an alternative route or flight deck in order to deviate, you only have to choose and confirm, a collision warning system is automatically warning and after confirmation changing the flight deck - your job is to change frequencies and to inform the corresponding flight control. Approaching the airport the ILS overtakes, brings you in the right position, position of the flaps, speed is announced or even automatic control, announces the time of getting the landing gear out, announces touch down, brakes are assited by ABS and lane keeping assitant, your last job is to manage throttle, brake point and to get the nose down - that's it
So why a train should not be able to drive automatically?

Last year I was invited by Audi to the Nürburgring, they introduced their new automated driving system Version 7 as I remember. Imagine you're sitting in the drivers seat doing nothing over the whole stint - and lap time is nearly as good as yours, but not such spectacoulos!!!

My brothers in law A6 is driving automatically up to 160 km/h, you only have to keep the steering wheel because of security reasons. The Ford Ranger of my neighbour is automatically parking including estimation if the slot is big enough! That's our (annoying) future.

For that I love my todays terrible excursion with my beloved red Diva, In severe rain she suddenly came to the idea to get all my instruments off (only the speedo working), then I lost my wipers, my blinkers, my brake light, even the lights for backwards driving no function - that was driving with all my senses alerted. It took me 2 hours for 14km (distance to my garage from our house, my wife always says ...put a bed in your garage... today it would have been better). That's real live 8) :shock: :oops:
Any of you Jensen Gurus having an idea where to search first??? Any help appreciated 8) :?: :cry:
Yours and sleep well
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

The London Underground has had self-driving trains since 1967.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

I shall be very surprised if the sale of new petrol and diesel cars really is banned from 2035.
I predict pressure from the car industry to drop or push back the deadline once millions and millions of people make known their desire to hold onto their petrol/diesel cars indefinitely beyond that date.

Electric cars are just not practical for everybody.
Last edited by AH1951 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Last edited by felixkk on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

cannonball

Post by cannonball »

to be honest I doubt this dead line of 2035 will effect many on this board the majority maybe 80% of us looking at ages now will be dead so what will it matter
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “General Discussion”