Sale of new Petrol & Diesel only cars to be banned from 2035

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
colin7673
now normal...

Re: Sale of new Petrol & Diesel only cars to be banned from

Post by colin7673 »

RAP72 wrote:yes another well thought out policy .I believe I heard that gas fires/central heating boilers are also being phased out (1). It was meant to be last year but that one missed the target. So that is more reliance on Electricity. And of course Richie will be adding to the problem soon :mrgreen:

(1) The Chancellor Philip Hammond has announced the shock news that gas heating will be banned for new build homes by 2025 as part of the government's wider move to tackle climate change.21 Mar 2019
The planet has been getting warmer ever since the end of the ice age...
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

colin7673 wrote:
The planet has been getting warmer ever since the end of the ice age...
We know.
But who's going to dare tell Greta?
001453.jpg
001453.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Bet you’re wondering what’s after the AND
2D745F50-CF40-4A4F-9294-EFC8E9F5C142.jpeg
2D745F50-CF40-4A4F-9294-EFC8E9F5C142.jpeg (176.65 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I recon its from a dyslexic vegan and reads "Unite against state and chips". Is this in Switzerland Felix? Nice to see that English is the language of graffiti artists the world over :shock:
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

:D Yes, here in Zurich. Took the C-V8 out today. Yesterday I picked up our daughter from the mountains in the C-V8. Her friend and the father (and also a close friend, but he‘s never been in the Jensen) drove back with us. I frightened him to death when I overtook a bus with 2 cars following behind it, coming down the mountain road :oops:
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I just had a case of déjà vu :oops:
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

:D Many people seem to think that old cars only go 110kmh or so... The bus driver flashed his lights at us (me) when we overtook, why I do not know. I was half expecting him to get out of bus and come over to yell at me when he was behind us at the red light (I was secretly practicing my innocent face)
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

You drive a fast, powerful car!
You enjoy yourself!
How dare you?
In the old days, when overtaking, it used to sometimes be the case that other drivers, especially lorry (truck) drivers would flash you to let you know it was safe for you to return to your own lane.
In this case he was probably angry with you, self-righteously indicating you were doing something wrong. And jealous!
Having fun is illegal in Switzerland, isn't it?
:) :) :)
johnw

Post by johnw »

IMG_20170808_183715 (1).jpg
IMG_20170808_183715 (1).jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 5282 times
AH1951 wrote: Having fun is illegal in Switzerland, isn't it?
:) :) :)
felixkk wrote::D Many people seem to think that old cars only go 110kmh or so... The bus driver flashed his lights at us (me) when we overtook, why I do not know. I was half expecting him to get out of bus and come over to yell at me when he was behind us at the red light (I was secretly practicing my innocent face)
It is certainly very expensive. 110 or above on a non motorway could mean jail time for a foreigner. Fortunately Germany is close by. If I have forgotten something I usually nip over to the shops there and save a few quid via the handy autobahn.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

guys in Switzerland you have the Anti-Raser-Gesetz (no racing on the roads :oops: ), with 140+ out of town you end up with one year of jail (conditionally, if causing an accident or having any! alcohol unconditionally) and as a foreigner they're confiscating your car! As Swiss guy your driving license is gone irrevocably for minimum 2 years!
Have fun 8) :evil:
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

yes, but doing 140 instead of 80 on country roads is a bit extreme, no? We were going nowhere that fast- barely above the speed limit :D On the Turin trip, on the way to Lausanne, I got caught doing 152-4=148 on the highway and the fine was 200 something with no consequences, which surprised me. Apparently above 154 it gets nasty. Half of Zurich city is now 30- that is annoying!! Germany is thinking about introducing a speed limit on the autobahn I heard?
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Not sure if she‘s imitating me behind the wheel :?
9DF5F96B-5914-450A-BF45-8BC5D9FC42C9.jpeg
9DF5F96B-5914-450A-BF45-8BC5D9FC42C9.jpeg (163.8 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

yes they're thinking about general speed limit (this time because of 'Greta' to show responsible), they're doing it as I remember since I'm allowed to drive (at that time because the 'oil shock -we had car free sundays :oops: ). Up to now they have not touched the last (pseudo-)freedom of the Germans (because you're also punished when going over 130 and causing a critical situation) Now every time when being there I use the very few highways not limited to go for Vmax, but in fact going only straight is annoying and every time you face a truck on the right you've to slow down because of the risk someone is lane changing with about 80+!!! Even with carbon brakes this challenge brings you nearby a heart attack :shock:

Fun in Switzerland are the hills - narrow roads, small stints of about 500-1000m, then the next serpentine, max acceleration then breaking down to nearly zero - that's fun pure. I once had a hill climb competition in Switzerland - wow (afterwards they forbid it :cry: )

Only real fun are race tracks, but even they're crowded nowadays with drivers not knowing their limits and/or to handle a car under track conditions...

The young Lady is our future (I like the gloves - stylish)
15 years long I trained the youngsters in karting...
15 years long I trained the youngsters in karting...
IMG_0745.JPG (271.9 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

This talk of Vmax got me wondering what the stopping/braking distance would be from 160 mph, the fastest I've ever driven, in Germany of course.
The figure for stopping from 261 mph, such as could be done in a Bugatti Chiron, is over 1,100 metres.
Screenshot_20200229-195929_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200229-195929_Samsung Internet.jpg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

This talk of Vmax got me wondering what the stopping/braking distance would be from 160 mph, the fastest I've ever driven, in Germany of course.
The figure for stopping from 261 mph, such as could be done in a Bugatti Chiron, is over 1,100 metres.
The attachment Screenshot_20200229-195929_Samsung Internet.jpg is no longer available
[/quote]

On a standard highway, even a good one I used several times between Konstanz and Stuttgart at the height of Oberndorf, because designed in former times as landing zone for fighter jets, so a very flat tarmac without curves for a distance of more than 5 kilometres it's very hard to go for 400 km/h+, because a single wind gust may shift one meter+ to the left or right until you're able to react, on the right lane you have mostly a very bad surface caused by the trucks, dust and mud or a little bit of oil the you're going out of control. Another issue is that you need a lot of aerodynamics, the exact tyre pressure and temperature and the most important thing - absolutely no traffic over a distance of min 5 kilometres. Seeing a vehicle in front of you in a distance of about 2 kilometres means at once slowing down with max brakes, means for your body the G-forces reach more than 3!

So the fastest I reached with my cars on a german highway , some of them designed for theoretical Vmax of 380-400 km/h was 360 on the speedo, deduct some inaccuracy in the measurement you'll end up with around 350. Fastest ever reached was 412,5 km/h measured with GPS on Yas Marina circuit between turn 7 (U-turn) and turn 8 (90degrees) in a Bugatti Veyron (1001 bhp), not mine - a friend invited me to pilot him...

Last year Spa we reached with the GT40 around 340, stint 2 we overheated the tyres - means we ended up in the gravel...

What's the fun many here in the forum may ask? It's the fun of managing pure power at the physical limits of technique and your own physis, the amazing feeling of full concentration, adrenaline pure, every 3 seconds a decision to be taken the right way - otherwise you're leaving the track or ending in the sidewalls, really exhausting you completely until to the next turn, and after all the feeling -yes I've done it :D-, added by the fun afterwards to analyze every stint beginning with warm up lap over every curve in order to optimize the vehicle and yourself.

Now having set up the engine of the Jensen for driving on good performance I'm trying the actual limits, acceleration still underperforming, a progressive slow down with 2tons every time an adventure, an undercarriage and supensions designed for comfort giving not a real straight feedback, unprecise steering, old tyres - so going for 80+ (mph) is challenging on narrow rural roads in bad shape.
Let's see what the Lotus brings when he is ready within next month...?

Many may not understand me - and the Jensen I bought because of the amazing combination of being an elegant cruiser to go for the seaside in summer (Heist/Knokke or Calais/Dover) preferred open, enjoying the nice sound of 440cui V8, and having always enough reserves for doing a small sprint. What I've experienced up to now with the 'Diva' is giving me the same grinning in my face I'm always having when returning from a race track -so what you need more?
2 of my monsters...
2 of my monsters...
IMG_0667.JPG (314.9 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be

Return to “General Discussion”