use of the comma raises it's head again

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Grant

Re: use of the comma raises it's head again

Post by Grant »

Chris_R wrote:That's not a problem Grant. You get to learn new things literally every day. Like who you are, where you live and so on.
ImageIt sounds so funny Chris and it is, but, really it is a frightening thing!Image, Mind you Chris, when I was a YOOT It was just brilliant not remembering what you did and how you got home after consuming copious amounts of Alcohol, all you could remember was throwing peoples dustbins out into the middle of the road on the way home! :oops: :oops:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Keith

Post by Keith »

RAP72 wrote: :D :lol: :wink: took a while
You say now.......
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

I mentioned Steve's 3 deliberate errors in my first post.
Nobody noticed.
I just don't get no respect.
:( :( :(
001001001.jpg
001001001.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
Keith

Post by Keith »

george1611 wrote:,life’s to short,I wonder how many people don’t post anything in fear of contradiction of there grammar ,,shame shame shame
Live long and prosper people ,,you will not be hit by a bolt of lightening if your grammars wrong
Geordie
I rest my case.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

My son and daughter, in their twenties, have informed me that I get the grammar of text messaging wrong. Instead of a long block of text, with full-stops (periods) in it, I should use a new text for every sentence, or thought. Use of full-stops marks me out as a dictatorial old fogey!

So they would use one message for one thought

a separate message for the next

and another for the next thought

As I come from a time when you paid - dearly - for every text sent, this seems strange but I am getting the hang of it

This is an illustration of how there is no god-given system of grammar or spelling, just a series of conventions which make transmitting information much clearer and easier. Do your best to stick to the conventions and your fellow humans will thank you for it. Break them and we will still understand, although you may attract some good-natured flak along the way.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Andy Hamblin

Post by Andy Hamblin »

VFK44 wrote:My son and daughter, in their twenties, have informed me that I get the grammar of text messaging wrong. Instead of a long block of text, with full-stops (periods) in it, I should use a new text for every sentence, or thought. Use of full-stops marks me out as a dictatorial old fogey!

So they would use one message for one thought

a separate message for the next

and another for the next thought

As I come from a time when you paid - dearly - for every text sent, this seems strange but I am getting the hang of it

This is an illustration of how there is no god-given system of grammar or spelling, just a series of conventions which make transmitting information much clearer and easier. Do your best to stick to the conventions and your fellow humans will thank you for it. Break them and we will still understand, although you may attract some good-natured flak along the way.
I've experienced that, the problem I had was that you don't know when they have finished bombarding you with their separate thoughts. So, when you reply to one or more with a comment, everything gets out of sync because they might continue their 'stream of consciousness' tirade, or answer your message which is now lost several messages back....

On a related theme, a friend was struggling to send me an mp4 video he had on Messenger. I wanted it delivered through Whatsapp. It was so complicated that I suggested he transferred it to a VHS tape and stick it in the post to me.
Andy Hamblin
Jensen-Healey HNX 300K
Chassis 10012

Return to “General Discussion”