Fastest Jensen (CV-8) at Race Retro 2020 (FHBVC)

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Fastest Jensen (CV-8) at Race Retro 2020 (FHBVC)

Post by VFK44 »

This dropped into my inbox today:
IanNE.jpg
IanNE.jpg (182.38 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
https://www.raceretro.com/article/world ... est-jensen
"Fastest Jensen at Race Retro
THE WORLD’S FASTEST JENSEN
NEXT YEAR WILL SEE IAN NORTHEAST AND HIS DEDICATED TEAM RETURN TO BONNEVILLE WITH WHAT THEY HOPE WILL BECOME THE WORLD’S FASTEST JENSEN.
The aim is for the heavily-modified 1965 CV8 to hit 200mph, but before that happens visitors to REIS Race Retro from 21-23 February can head to the stand of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) to see this remarkable car for themselves.

Following a successful run at the famous Pendine Sands in Wales, an attempt was made at the 2018 Speed Week in Utah, but despite a huge effort from all involved the car was plagued by mechanical and electrical trouble. With problems including clutch and gearbox failure, and issues with engine tune, the car still managed to achieve an impressive average speed of 143.887mph over the three-mile course.

Ian Northeast said: “Land speed racing is hard on the machinery and people, but we intend to learn as much as possible from our previous adventure.”

For the 2020 speed attempt it has meant starting from the beginning, with major changes to the car and its systems. He explains that the engine is one of the few parts to remain basically untouched, the main differences being extensive servicing and the addition of a large turbocharger. The latter is expected to provide 25% more power.

Having previously suffered from gearbox failure, the original transmission has now been replaced with a six-speed unit from a Dodge Viper. Not only is it notably stronger, but revised ratios should assist in the quest for more speed although the installation has involved modifications to the car’s chassis. The electrical system has also been replaced, along with a new Engine Control Unit. Also, closer attention has been paid to the aerodynamics of this amazing CV8.

Ian added: “Having never reached our projected top speed we also never discovered the speed at which the car becomes unstable aerodynamically. As we are now targeting a considerably higher maximum speed, the car has been lowered still further and a completely different strategy has been adopted to keep the car on the ground.”

See the Land Speed Jensen CV8 on the FBHVC stand at Reis Race Retro 2020."
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
cannonball

Re: Fastest Jensen (CV-8) at Race Retro 2020 (FHBVC)

Post by cannonball »

I doubt that is the fastest Jensen, others will have been faster I am sure, where is Trevithick, :lol:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I think Ian acknowledges it - the text says:
"WHAT THEY HOPE WILL BECOME THE WORLD’S FASTEST JENSEN."
It's a snappy title though.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

Thanks for the advert VFK44.

We'll be there for the complete weekend and would be more than happy to meet up with anyone that wants to chat.

The project title has more to do with a film than reality but it's no slouch either!

Ian
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “General Discussion”