Heartbroken! Too Tall for an Inteceptor

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Richie
V8 Lover

Re: Heartbroken! Too Tall for an Inteceptor

Post by Richie »

I think Martin has made an excellent point.
I had the webbing and foam replaced in my front seats earlier this year.
And I'm thrilled with them.
But if I were over 6 feet tall I might not be so enthusiastic. I have far less head room and leg room between the seat and large original steering wheel than I did before. This can make a huge difference.
I'd definitely be trying another, maybe one with a smaller diameter steering wheel too.
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

The tall chap is pictured in 2016 with an early Interceptor. The number plate, BEA 693C is of the very first CV8 based Interceptor. I thought was written off :?
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Yes it was written off in 1973. The photo is of Nigel McMorrin's car recreating the dash back from Turin with the original BEA 693C.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Yes, his car was the earliest Mk1 on the trip so we mocked it up with that registration plate on the apron at Le Touquet airport for the pictures.
As an anecdote we then forgot to take the plate off so he then drove the rest of the day in France with that number stuck on the front.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
CF-105

Post by CF-105 »

Richie wrote:I think Martin has made an excellent point.
But if I were over 6 feet tall I might not be so enthusiastic. I have far less head room and leg room between the seat and large original steering wheel than I did before. This can make a huge difference.
I'd definitely be trying another, maybe one with a smaller diameter steering wheel too.
I definitely intend to. It doesn’t mean there isn’t an Interceptor in my future. Just that I will take a little more time and look at many more options before committing.
johnw

Post by johnw »

CF-105 wrote:
I definitely intend to. It doesn’t mean there isn’t an Interceptor in my future. Just that I will take a little more time and look at many more options before committing.
There are quite a few options, from fitting a Mk1 door card, which is very thin, to making a completely new made to measure seat, getting a thin GT40 style one, and dropping the floor pan, or less drastic perhaps, removing the seat mounting crossmember! Perhaps even moving the seat slightly more to the middle, and chopping out some of the transmission tunnel. The transmission tunnel is just a cover, fibreglass and aluminium, and there is a big hole with it removed. It has lots of clearance presumably to keep heat out. If you are careful with the surgery it should all be reversible.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
CF-105

Post by CF-105 »

johnw wrote:
CF-105 wrote:
There are quite a few options, from fitting a Mk1 door card, which is very thin, to making a completely new made to measure seat, getting a thin GT40 style one, and dropping the floor pan, or less drastic perhaps, removing the seat mounting crossmember! Perhaps even moving the seat slightly more to the middle, and chopping out some of the transmission tunnel. The transmission tunnel is just a cover, fibreglass and aluminium, and there is a big hole with it removed. It has lots of clearance presumably to keep heat out. If you are careful with the surgery it should all be reversible.
Great advice.
Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”