1972 440 ENGINE AND TRANS PURCHASED FOR MY 1974 MK 3 !

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
StevenLA

1972 440 ENGINE AND TRANS PURCHASED FOR MY 1974 MK 3 !

Post by StevenLA »

Good evening members from cold rainy Los Angeles !

A few weeks ago I purchased a Jensen Interceptor 1972 440 engine and transmission for my 1974 MK3, that was without an engine and trans.

So now I have the body and now an engine/trans to work on in the future, so the project is beginning to come together.

The seller had the original Jensen valve covers redone and they look great.

Have a great weekend !

Regards Cheers Steven.
Attachments
IMG_6044.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG (128.6 KiB) Viewed 10258 times
IMG_6065.JPG
IMG_6065.JPG (129.7 KiB) Viewed 10258 times
IMG_6050.JPG
IMG_6050.JPG (143.43 KiB) Viewed 10258 times
IMG_6042.JPG
IMG_6042.JPG (168.26 KiB) Viewed 10258 times
IMG_6039 (2).JPG
IMG_6039 (2).JPG (169.13 KiB) Viewed 10258 times
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Re: 1972 440 ENGINE AND TRANS PURCHASED FOR MY 1974 MK 3 !

Post by Steve Payne »

You will need to source an adaptor for the oil pump as the oil filter has to be remote as it will snag the crossmember if you leave it where it is at the moment.

There are a couple of pipes that link the oil pump to the remote filter.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I concur with Steve on the remote oil system. For a cleaner look (and probably less mess) the oil filter doesn't have to go on the fender, but could go on the front of the cross member lower down. See "New Build from the States" thread, by MarkI.

Also - looking at the A/C compressor - yours looks t be mounted at a steeper angle (higher) than I am used to seeing - you might need to rotate it down, or go with a modern rotary compressor.

It looks like a good score. What's it from? Are you going to rebuild it first? Would you be building it for more power? That's what I would do if I had a blank sheet of paper (as you almost do).

Now is when you can really clean up the engine bay, and honestly, a great time to check out all your wiring for engine, some controls and lighting.
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Thanks Rocky and Steve for your comments !

I will try to find some numbers on the engine next time I go to my storage, to see if we can find
which car it came from ?

Have a great weekend !

Cheers Steven.
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Hi Rocky,

When you say "what is it from " do you mean that this engine is NOT from a Jensen Interceptor
and is this the consensus also from Steve Payne ?

There are numbers on the engine which may shed light on where it came from,I will research later.

The seller suggested it may be a Chrysler 6 pack engine, of course I have no idea ?

Have a great weekend !

Cheers Steven.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hi Steven:-)
I don't believe it is from a Jensen No.. 1)because it would be black,(but underneath the black it would be this Chrylser colour), but also all the ancillaries ie the A/C pump and all the later pulley tensioners suggest is a later engine, normally the lower compression one, for the reason of the later bits as said above it wouldn't be a six-pack one either Steve in my opinion.. but of course someone may have added all the later stuff on to an early engineImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

You should be able to find an engine number and other information on a machined flat near the distributor.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

The engine castings external sizes are all exactly the same on 440 engines so it don't matter if this engines if from a motorhome or a 70 sixpack cuda it will bolt right in to your Jensen and everything around it will fit, as mentioned earlier you will have to fit the unique to Jensen oil pump end plate with the threaded adaptors to suit a remote oil filer, its hard to see but it looks to have the correct exhaust manifolds which is strange as I have not seen an engine from a usa passenger car with them unless the guy you bought the mtr from has fitted them which is if so is strange he did not fit the oil pump end plate to,, but crack on and get it fitted the air con etc looks correct to me to
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I didn’t know that motor was supposed to be from a Jensen, but the three obvious discrepancies (color, no remote oil filter, and an AC compressor that won’t fit under the hood) would make me doubt it.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the motor, in fact, it looks like a nice score.... unless you paid top dollar for a “Jensen SP engine”.

If those valve covers came off that motor originally, there should be engine data engraved on a plate on one of them. This should match to some info on the engine.

Good luck with the install!

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Grant

Post by Grant »

cannonball wrote:The engine castings external sizes are all exactly the same on 440 engines so it don't matter if this engines if from a motorhome or a 70 sixpack cuda it will bolt right in to your Jensen and everything around it will fit, as mentioned earlier you will have to fit the unique to Jensen oil pump end plate with the threaded adaptors to suit a remote oil filer, its hard to see but it looks to have the correct exhaust manifolds which is strange as I have not seen an engine from a usa passenger car with them unless the guy you bought the mtr from has fitted them which is if so is strange he did not fit the oil pump end plate to,, but crack on and get it fitted the air con etc looks correct to me to
It will fit.. I was never saying it wouldn't fit.. I was just trying to say it didn't appear to be 72 SP engine and you thought it maybe due to the reasons I said in my earlier post DuncyMan.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Hangtowner

Post by Hangtowner »

Since it has the truck exhaust manifolds and a somewhat tall compressor, maybe it is from a truck.

Return to “General Discussion”