RE POLISHED /PAINTED MK2 RIM'S CORRECT TIRE SIZE NEEDED ?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Dion

Re: RE POLISHED /PAINTED MK2 RIM'S CORRECT TIRE SIZE NEEDED

Post by Dion »

That's good news then Steven. Chromed 15" Mk2 Rostyles are pretty rare in good condition and valuable.
cannonball wrote:Rover did actually have a 14" rim very similar to your 15" the guy must be confused with those
Indeed. The P6 had 14" Rostyles (the P5 had 15" Rostyles). But I think that in LA you would have a greater chance to pick up some old Buick wheels than Rover P6 wheels :D
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Thanks Cannonball and Dion, I guess the matter is now closed !

Have a great weekend !

Regards Cheers Steven.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Dion wrote:That's good news then Steven. Chromed 15" Mk2 Rostyles are pretty rare in good condition and valuable.
cannonball wrote:Rover did actually have a 14" rim very similar to your 15" the guy must be confused with those
Indeed. The P6 had 14" Rostyles (the P5 had 15" Rostyles). But I think that in LA you would have a greater chance to pick up some old Buick wheels than Rover P6 wheels :D
you would but Buick wheels look totally different, :wink:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Dear Members,

Good evening from Los Angeles !

So I took my 71 MK2 to the tire shop earlier today to install the original MK2 rims on new Pirelli P4 tires.

We took the MK3 rims off the front of the car and found to our dismay that the original rims would not fit
on the car, as the brake caliper was hitting the rim ?

Was the MK2 brake caliper different from the MK3 caliper ?

When we tried the back rim , it seemed to fit okay.

The rear caliper looked totally different to the front one.

Anyway the store was closing ,so I left the tires there and brought the car and rims back home.

I took photos, but I am having a hard time uploading them to my desk top.

Any advice is welcome as I was looking forward to putting the original rims back on the car !!

Cheers Steven.
Grant

Post by Grant »

That is strange Steve, if the Mk3 Alloys fit then the Rostyles should as they have a bit more clearance, you need to get some pics up SteveyBoy so we can see why.. have a Happy and healthy New year :D and get those pics on for us all to look atImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Dear Grant,

Thank you or your advice and comment.

The good news is that I spoke to the original owner of the MK2 and he has the original front calipers !!

It turns out that the MK3 calipers are different from the original Rostyle type wheel calipers.

The previous owner very kindly has agreed to mail the calipers to me and hopefully all the pieces will be there
for me to re-install them and put the original Rostyle rims back on the car.

This is a great start to the new year !

Again, thank you for all your help and I am still unable to upload the photos, I am off to the Apple store to seek advice.

" HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL"

Regards Cheers Steven.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

As far as I know the difference between Mk2 and Mk3 is that Mk3 had vented discs (rotors) whereas the Mk2 had solid discs.
The calipers on both were the same except that the ones fitted to Mk3's had a spacer fitted between the two caliper halves to allow for the extra thickness of the discs.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Dear Members,

Good evening from Los Angeles !

So I have the repainted MK2 rims and the new Pirelli Tires ready to go,but I still need the correct calipers to change
the MK3 rims back to the MK2 rims ?

The previous owner of the car now tells me that the old MK2 calipers are worn and damaged and that is why he updated
the calipers and rims to the MK3 type.

He suggested I buy all new updated calipers for the car and said that websites like SUMMIT racing can supply these items.

Can you buy updated calipers for the MK2 so I can finish this project.

I am eager to put the original rims back on the car.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome !

Cheers Steven.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Steve.. Find out exactly where the mk3 calipers on your mk2 are touching the Rostyles, if need be just grind a little off those calipers, it can only be a tiny bit because the only difference between the mk2 and the 3 calipers is a spacer between the 2 halves of caliper. but that difference is lost by the ticker vented disc that is fitted, there really shouldn't be any need to be buying different calipers.. Check it out Stevey :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

Are the brake discs ventilated or solid. The mk3 were ventilated and a spacer put in the callipers to allow for the extra thickness.
If they are ventilated the chances are the mk2 callipers would not have fitted anyway. I think you can take the spacers out to the Mk 3 callipers but you will need to get solid discs (rotors). Have you tried spacing out the wheel - use some washers first ( on the studs) and see what is needed for the wheel to turn freely, if not to much you could use wheel spacers. Don’t ask me what too much is! You need adequate thread in the wheel nut.

Good luck.
Blue-SP

Post by Blue-SP »

The easiest way to make sure that the wheels will fit is to get a stack of washers. Put one washer on each stud and try the wheel on the vehicle, keep adding washers until you find out how many washers it takes to allow clearance. The total thickness of the washers is the spacer you will need.Once you have clearance you will need to remove one wheel nut and count how many revolutions it takes to reach tight.The recommended rotations on a 7/16” wheel stud is 7 complete revolutions on the wheel nut. This is a recommendation in aftermarket wheel brochures but as the interceptors are in the region of 50+years I would make sure your studs and nuts are tight fit and not sloppy.

Important do not drive the vehicle with the washers on, they will disintegrate and you will find your wheels overtaking you!!!

You will also need to check left to right wheel turn to make sure you have clearance as you are changing the offset and how far the wheel comes out.

Once you are happy you can buy spacer shims in 3,5,7,10mm widths, sold as pairs. These normally fit withoutstud problems. There are 1,1.5 and 2” wheel spacers but these are structural stronger as they bolt to your existing wheel studs and then have a new set of studs which you mount the wheel to.

You can look up wheel spacers at northhantstyres.com
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Hello Steven,

I bought my Int.Mk3 in 2011 and it had the correct tyre for the rims, 205/70/15. I wanted a wider tyre, 215, and was advised (by Duncan at Longstone) the body should be a 65. In the case of your new tyres 60 is correct for the width of 225. I would stick with them, they will look fine on the car.

regards David
Blue-SP

Post by Blue-SP »

The Original tyre size on a mk3 is a 205/70x15. 205 mm section width and the (sidewall height) of 70%. A 215 /65 is 215mm section width and height of sidewall is 65%, a 235/60x15 is 235mm section width and a sidewall height of 60% of the section width. All these sizes have near on the same overall diameter. The 225/60x15 will have a lower overall diameter than the o/e size. Acceleration will be marginally quicker but top end speed lower, and less mpg as well.
Attachments
1A03D1C5-5EFD-4AB4-AD50-0B2C2F6039FB.png
1A03D1C5-5EFD-4AB4-AD50-0B2C2F6039FB.png (969.54 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Blue-SP

Post by Blue-SP »

604164CB-9D7F-4DE5-BD27-9B727005736E.jpeg
604164CB-9D7F-4DE5-BD27-9B727005736E.jpeg (56.72 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Just a small but important point, the maximum section width tyre that should be fitted to a 6½ wheel is a 225.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Discussion”