Interceptor bodyshell/chassis built from scratch

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Interceptor bodyshell/chassis built from scratch

Post by VFK44 »

Grant wrote:I was thinking on getting one from him if the price is right Francis, I would then like to cut a steel pan sunroof into it from the XJ40
Might be worth delivering the sunroof to him and letting him cut the big scary hole and fit the roof.

Also, when the current unpleasantness is over, how about promising the missus a trip to romantic Poland, and buzz over there in the Transit? About 900 miles from Dunkirk. You could make sure the panel wasn't dented in transit (literally).
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Grant

Post by Grant »

He did offer to deliver it for that money Stephen too, but, Although I know it is a lot of work to make I felt it was un-affordable for me, I wouldn't have any problem driving there though and I had already thought of that too. Love a road trip in a Transit :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

Grant wrote:He did offer to deliver it for that money Stephen too, but, Although I know it is a lot of work to make I felt it was un-affordable for me, I wouldn't have any problem driving there though and I had already thought of that too. Love a road trip in a Transit :P
The road trip idea sounds good. He seems to be a Ford Capri aficionado Grant. :D :) :o :shock:
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

You are all more than welcome to stop over in Dresden, it's half the way from Dover to Krakau.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Jacek sent these updated pictures over last night.

He has made a jig for the tailgate.

Plenty still to do..

Great work

John P
Attachments
D9460A6B-2FDB-42F7-A1E1-A22FE2F7AED7.jpeg
D9460A6B-2FDB-42F7-A1E1-A22FE2F7AED7.jpeg (144.73 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
BA1BE14E-183B-44EE-B536-66BB58247AC9.jpeg
BA1BE14E-183B-44EE-B536-66BB58247AC9.jpeg (149.15 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
AEFCBB42-AF4F-459B-979E-7FB995C297D0.jpeg
AEFCBB42-AF4F-459B-979E-7FB995C297D0.jpeg (146.93 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
C9C5E575-71C8-41F3-90E5-1AA19B65BF17.jpeg
C9C5E575-71C8-41F3-90E5-1AA19B65BF17.jpeg (64.87 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
DPP

Post by DPP »

I have been following this topic with great interest, the skill level is amazing and it has been great to see what he has achieved.

However and with no disrespect to Jacek making a panel to fit one car does not mean it will fit all the others, it would be best to make the panels with the intended car in his workshop then it could be made to fit perfectly.
I have seen more poor tailgate alignments than any other panel on an Interceptor, some of these are because the car has been messed with but some were not great from the factory.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

DPP wrote:I have been following this topic with great interest, the skill level is amazing and it has been great to see what he has achieved.

However and with no disrespect to Jacek making a panel to fit one car does not mean it will fit all the others, it would be best to make the panels with the intended car in his workshop then it could be made to fit perfectly.
I have seen more poor tailgate alignments than any other panel on an Interceptor, some of these are because the car has been messed with but some were not great from the factory.
I agree Dave, Tailgate gaps drive me insane some mega £££££££££ restorations and mega £££££££££££££££ cars on sale the gaps are disgusting, for a while I thought hey maybe Jensen sent them out like that, but no I have an original SP here the tailgate gap is so tight only a blonde pussy hair would slide in the gap its perfection,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Grant

Post by Grant »

Totally agree.. I think you have a good tailgate you want to use it is best to fit as close as you can and make the back end up with lead/filler to make the gapping goodImage.. A bad fitting tailgate looks Image, all the panels, doors bonnets etc are the same.. they never fit, you have to make them fit, so repair what you have if you can. ..This guy Jacek is such a clever chap and seems to go at 100mph with a terrific result at the end of it.Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

cannonball wrote:
DPP wrote:I have an original SP here the tailgate gap is so tight only a blonde pussy hair would slide in the gap its perfection,
Where might one get one of those Duncan? Purely for alignment purposes!!!
Asking for a friend.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:
cannonball wrote:
DPP wrote:I have an original SP here the tailgate gap is so tight only a blonde pussy hair would slide in the gap its perfection,
Where might one get one of those Duncan? Purely for alignment purposes!!!
Asking for a friend.
To be honest John a thing of the past now unless its old school my preferred form of measurement, :D :D :D :wink:
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
johnw

Post by johnw »

For modern measurement, there is Meshroom! Free and surprisingly good. Remove the tailgate, take 70 plus photos, without moving the car, in overcast weather (Cloudy, so no shadows, tripod, F16 1/30th :D) against a redbrick background (Kenny38 this is for UK owners). The mortar provides a structured background grid for the software to synchronise photos. Feature extraction etc is used and everything measured to the mm or less, in 3D!!! A 3D model is extracted on the PC's NVidia graphics card, and saved to a file. Different cars can then be compared! Differences highlighted in different colours.

I have done this with toy cars. Others have done it for real on youtube. Meshroom has been stable for 2 years now. It is at the point where someone could try to take key measurements from the boot opening on one car and compare it to another!
DPP

Post by DPP »

cannonball wrote:
I agree Dave, Tailgate gaps drive me insane some mega £££££££££ restorations and mega £££££££££££££££ cars on sale the gaps are disgusting, for a while I thought hey maybe Jensen sent them out like that, but no I have an original SP here the tailgate gap is so tight only a blonde pussy hair would slide in the gap its perfection,
Dunc
There are some excellent fitting tailgates from the factory, but im not sure they were all great. I have seen unrestored cars with bad but not horrendous tailgate fitting and the sides never seem wide enough so you have to centralise the panel to get the best bad fit on both sides.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

DPP wrote:
cannonball wrote:
Dunc
There are some excellent fitting tailgates from the factory, but im not sure they were all great. I have seen unrestored cars with bad but not horrendous tailgate fitting and the sides never seem wide enough so you have to centralise the panel to get the best bad fit on both sides.
I hear you Dave ,,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Grant

Post by Grant »

cannonball wrote: I hear you Dave ,,,
I can here you too Dunc.. Keep your voice down man!Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

My understanding is that the factory shaped the rear end to fit the tailgate, rather than the other way round. Certainly that is what JP&S did 35 years ago when replacing a rotten tailgate on my Interceptor with a good secondhand one.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead

Return to “General Discussion”