Interceptor bodyshell/chassis built from scratch

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
colin7673
now normal...

Re: Interceptor bodyshell/chassis built from scratch

Post by colin7673 »

How will this car be registrared because technically it's a brand new car, not a classic, not been crash tested or anything, so will it be road legal?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

I’m guessing he will do the same as hundreds of MGB & Mini owners

do and refit the chassis plates of the original car.

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you

Post by sticky »

Grant wrote:Yes.. that's for sure SteveImage
As clever as this man is, and he is, I take my hat off to him, but, It is an awful lot of work to remake the chassis and to be honest the chassis is the only part that really doesn't rot, it is magnificent what he has made here, and obviously there are parts that he has made that do rot out, but alot of what he has made really doesn't suffer. so I guess it must be the challenge and project itself where his heart must be.
It looks as he has used an old prop/shaft tunnel it needs shot blasting to get rid of the rust :mrgreen:
sticky by name stick at it by nature !!!!
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

We don't know where it's going to be used. It's being done in Poland for a customer of Jacek and it appears to be LHD. We also assume the donor car is not registered. If the donor car is already registered once this is completed and the identity marks transferred across then no one in authority would ever know the difference unless they were told. Similarly, if not registered, once completed and presented to the authorities for registration it would be very unlikely that anyone in the countries registration inspection process would recognise or even suspect this as a complete new build. If this car turned up at one of our events, unless the owner told us, we would never notice anything other than an immaculately "restored" Interceptor. If we hadn't seen all these pictures I doubt any of us would suspect it was a complete new chassis and bodyshell.
The UK rules allow for the replacement of a monocoque and for the car to keep its identity (chassis number and registration number) provided the replacement body has been made to the same specification as the original and some of the other original components have been used. There is no specific licensing or certification of any manufacturer providing that bodyshell so as long as you can show it was made to the same specification it will be acceptable by the DVLA. The difficulty on that is "same specification" but again, there are not any specific rules about how that is determined. British Motor Heritage has no specific license or recognition from the DVLA for the bodyshells they supply but their record and credibility means that one of their bodyshells used to rebuild a car is unlikely to meet any comment from the DVLA but in theory there is nothing to stop Jacek making an MGB bodyshell from scratch and that being used and in the same way if you or I had the skills there is nothing to stop us making body parts, e.g. sills, wings, bonnets etc. for our Jensens.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

More pictures of the doors.

Skins also formed by hand ...

John P
Attachments
AC42554D-8DF7-4811-BBAB-54BAC54C92E5.jpeg
AC42554D-8DF7-4811-BBAB-54BAC54C92E5.jpeg (90.47 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
8EC767EA-31B3-48D1-B2BD-D5CE95E42EC8.jpeg
8EC767EA-31B3-48D1-B2BD-D5CE95E42EC8.jpeg (83.06 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
793B995E-3DD1-42D6-9D42-17697C28BD8C.jpeg
793B995E-3DD1-42D6-9D42-17697C28BD8C.jpeg (65.33 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
5CBB81ED-B632-476F-9443-41D3FA66F095.jpeg
5CBB81ED-B632-476F-9443-41D3FA66F095.jpeg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
29BB13E0-3C2B-4C7D-ACE1-F3AF4DEAC01F.jpeg
29BB13E0-3C2B-4C7D-ACE1-F3AF4DEAC01F.jpeg (67.18 KiB) Viewed 6069 times

Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

The latest updates from Jacek.

He’s done the roof ! Surely the hardest bit.

Nearly there ...

John P
Attachments
AC982923-A1B8-4F97-AE4B-F649D1E35A2A.jpeg
AC982923-A1B8-4F97-AE4B-F649D1E35A2A.jpeg (118.83 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
88AA932D-CC50-45A1-9A27-99B729A8B3C8.jpeg
88AA932D-CC50-45A1-9A27-99B729A8B3C8.jpeg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
636E0FF0-5749-4E71-8EE7-65804B3B4D19.jpeg
636E0FF0-5749-4E71-8EE7-65804B3B4D19.jpeg (126.84 KiB) Viewed 5968 times

Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

It looks like he has made the roof panel from 3 sections using a very fine weld
Grant

Post by Grant »

Frankoid wrote:It looks like he has made the roof panel from 3 sections using a very fine weld
HiYa Francis :P .. Yes 3 parts by the look of it, I was thinking on getting one from him if the price is right Francis, I would then like to cut a steel pan sunroof into it from the XJ40, I have always liked my Webasto but having 2nd thoughts now as I want a sunroof, but, a steel pan is nicest way to go really if you want a sunroof in my opinion, I guess others will see it different, I'll send him a message and see how much he has in mind, of course the shipping from Poland wouldn't be cheap and hoping it would be crated sufficiently to prevent any damage happening :?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Grant wrote:Yes 3 parts by the look of it, I was thinking on getting one from him if the price is right Francis, I would then like to cut a steel pan sunroof into it from the XJ40, I have always liked my Webasto but having 2nd thoughts now as I want a sunroof, but, a steel pan is nicest way to go really if you want a sunroof in my opinion, I guess others will see it different, I'll send him a message and see how much he has in mind, of course the shipping from Poland wouldn't be cheap and hoping it would be crated sufficiently to prevent any damage happening :?
That sounds great, the steel pan sunroof is the way to go if you want one . Let us know how you get on. :D
johnw

Post by johnw »

The chap has posted on facebook just this morning that he is going to do a batch of roof panels while he has a good car in to check against, asking if anyone is interested. So Grant now might be a good time to ask how much!
Frankoid wrote:
Grant wrote:Yes 3 parts by the look of it, I was thinking on getting one from him if the price is right Francis, I would then like to cut a steel pan sunroof into it from the XJ40, I have always liked my Webasto but having 2nd thoughts now as I want a sunroof, but, a steel pan is nicest way to go really if you want a sunroof in my opinion, I guess others will see it different, I'll send him a message and see how much he has in mind, of course the shipping from Poland wouldn't be cheap and hoping it would be crated sufficiently to prevent any damage happening :?
That sounds great, the steel pan sunroof is the way to go if you want one . Let us know how you get on. :D
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

The tailgate is going to be a work of art. I suspect if he is taking orders he will be making them for a long time.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Grant

Post by Grant »

johnw wrote: So Grant now might be a good time to ask how much!
I've messaged him now John, lets see :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

Jacek wants £2k for a roof panel including delivery to the Uk but needs 5 orders for that cost is what I believe he is saying, but I will check again with him.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Mark Ell

Post by Mark Ell »

Been off line for months and logged on to see this! Wow! This is incredible to see, not using stamped out panels making everything from scratch...stunning!
128-4562 G Series III interceptor
brendan

Post by brendan »

Grant wrote:
Frankoid wrote:It looks like he has made the roof panel from 3 sections using a very fine weld
HiYa Francis :P .. Yes 3 parts by the look of it, I was thinking on getting one from him if the price is right Francis, I would then like to cut a steel pan sunroof into it from the XJ40, I have always liked my Webasto but having 2nd thoughts now as I want a sunroof, but, a steel pan is nicest way to go really if you want a sunroof in my opinion, I guess others will see it different, I'll send him a message and see how much he has in mind, of course the shipping from Poland wouldn't be cheap and hoping it would be crated sufficiently to prevent any damage happening :?
The electric sun roof takes quite a lot of head room Im only 5-10 with a 31 inch inside leg and I only have 3/4 inch clearance.
But it is nice I did have to spray the steering wheel black as the sun reflected off it.
8926 136/8195 BJM 639

Return to “General Discussion”