The Jensen Owners' Club A technical and discussion forum for all Jensen enthusiasts It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:47 pm

General Discussion

sheds and workshops

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.

by Tone » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 pm

My humble space ...
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG (112.22 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Tony

Interceptor II /4010
Jensen Healey 5 speed /19314 (big project)
'78 CJ7 Jeep
Tone

by shaun » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:59 pm

May I just add a note of caution to this particular thread.

A JOC member a few months back had his garage security compromised and the Convertible was removed.

I assume that those who undertook this travesty had knowledge of what they were looking for and where to find it.

Posting photos of one's excellent storage and maintenance facilities including views of other adjacent vehicles may not be the most sensible thing to do.

Just a thought.
Shaun Winfield
Chairman
S. Bucks & Oxfordshire Area Rep
Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
shaun
JOC Chairman

by johnw » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Grant wrote:Dion.. you my heard of a chap called Tom Scallane, he used to build/restore Jensens, in the hay-day he was converting Saloons into convertibles, a very clever man.. especially as he was also bound to a wheelchair!!.. amazing, anyway, he worked from a damp cold workshop, tin roof, concrete floor as you talked about, the working conditions ended up giving him pneumonia and ill health which killed him at a youngish age :(

What I heard which was upsetting was that Tom had been painting a car with 2 pack, then had a chest problem, yes pneumonia perhaps and was taken to hospital. Being a paraplegic he should have had special care immediately at that point, the hospital knew that but it didn't happen until after he contracted MRSA at which point I guess they got embarrassed that things had got a lot worse and transferred him. I don't think he would want anyone to stop working on a Jensen in a tin hut! Tom was a top bloke, a great personality and always had some gorgeous woman with him! As you say Grant good ventilation and a sheltered open space to work has its benefits, especially sanding, welding etc. Our cars were made by hand and a skilled hand and eye goes a long way, we have to make do with what we are given in that department! :D Keep getting grease on those spanners, tin hut or palace!
--
John Wild
johnw

by VFK44 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 pm

I remember seeing a convertible a few years ago which the owner said had previously been Tom's. There were numerous scuff marks on the side which he said were caused by the wheelchair!
"Just because Science doesn't 'know everything', doesn't mean you can fill in the blanks with whatever fairy story most appeals to you" Dara O'Briain
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Previous

Return to General Discussion