STOLEN

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Re: STOLEN

Post by Steve Payne »

Another thought I wonder if these cars will get broken for parts? Some parts especially in good condition as we know are getting harder to find and if you were to part a good Interceptor you could potentially make a decent amount of money so maybe we should also look at parts appearing in all the usual places.

With 2 cars going missing in a short succession I wonder if this will have an effect on our Insurance and if they will start to insist on Trackers and other such devices.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

This intrigues me, how can you dispose of a stolen Interceptor? Each one was hand built, and we know body panels are not easily interchangeable and almost every valuable part has the chassis number on it. So you can't sell it complete, you can't sell the body parts, mechanical parts were from the available parts bin and not valuable secondhand, so where is the profit?
Most people wanting a Jensen will contact the club now as prices are becoming high, and as soon as they contact the club, which is an International concern, will find out it has been stolen.
Hopefully the theives( read scum) will realise they can't shift them , and so no more will be stolen, but will probably destroy the ones they have to leave no traces, rather than just dump them somewhere so the owners can get them back.
Good idea to put a stolen thread, open to guests, to check any potential purchase.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Maybe this car will reappear with an other chassis number, resprayed; engine, interior and other parts replaced? That would require for them to have an Interceptor already in bad shape, which will then be disposed of.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

felixkk wrote:Maybe this car will reappear with an other chassis number, resprayed; engine, interior and other parts replaced? That would require for them to have an Interceptor already in bad shape, which will then be disposed of.

Possibly, but.... The thieves would have to be pretty smart in the intricacies of Jensen to get all of the S/Ns off all the spots they appear... I think mine has three plates (Engine, Door and Center Console), and then the S/N on the front of the frame, and then.....

Anyway - I am hoping this won't keep occurring, and wish the best for the owners...

Rocuk
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

I agree, but it‘s the most feasible thing I can think of. Saves you a whole lot of trouble if you don’t have to restore the chassis and the body. A Swiss FF was stolen I think in the eighties in Italy, and was then found the next day- the thieves had discarded it.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Changing the Identity of a stolen car from a purchased rot box is not that hard, the chassis plate in the engine just unscrews and the engine number plate can be unglued, you can even buy these new and stamp it up yourself. The numbers that are stamped into the panels are more difficult but a few mins with a grinder would soon see them gone. The numbers on the interior are unlikely to match as many cars have had swapped interiors sometime in there past. I know of several cars that don't have the plate on the front crossmember for some reason.

If you are doing this for profit a potential purchaser is unlikely to know about the numbers in strategic places and as long as the main ones are correct is probably not even going to be suspicious especially if the wreck was purchased a year or more ago and with cars potentially not having an MOT history that also helps the crooks.

If the thief has done this so they can keep the car we just need to look out for cars appearing that have not been seen for a while and look similar to the stolen ones, how many Blue Interceptors are there? The convertible is more difficult to clone but is possible, any convertible wrecks that have been for sale in the last year or so?

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
johnw

Post by johnw »

In terms of DIY tracking of cars, you can buy GSM based GPS units that can send GPS locations back to a caller, and also listen in on audio. $25 or so. People use them for pets. You could effect the same using any old android handset after removing the vibrator and speaker, and wiring it in to the battery, possibly using Alfred app or similar. A useful app would be one that put the phone into airplane mode taking it out of airplane mode every 4 hours briefly to check for TXT commands. This way any phone detector will not pick it up, and battery drain will be negligible, even with car battery disconnected for days, the phone may still have enough life to wake up and sent GPS coordinates. You can leave a cheapo android phone in airplane mode with no apps installed and it lasts for a week plus.

Personally I would imagine that the thief will be looking to strip the car for parts. £800 for the person that pinched and delivered it, not bad for 3 hours work, probably someone already on the run for a crime, someone that can't be legitimately added to a payroll, a very dodgy character. £400 for the cylinder heads on ebay, £400 for the tail lights with perfect lenses and the breaker/fence is even. Bumpers, door handles, already a big profit. £400 for the roof panel, £200 each for front and rear screen. The breaker didn't steal the car himself, the thief is long gone. Plausible deniability, I am sure a suitable lawyer would help out.

All these used parts will have their unique tiny defects. The owner would probably recognise his own rear lights. Perhaps they were rechromed, a connector repaired, a scratch polished out of a lens. The screen might have recognisable delamination under the rubber that the owner noticed during the resto. Repairs to bumpers before re-chroming, etc. There is hope that the shell of the partially stripped car can be found in a council lockup somewhere in a few months through a club member being suspicious about parts being in better shape than the wreck pictured on ebay, or an advert with someone else's wreck picture that might appear.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
74Ceptor

Post by 74Ceptor »

Pymmie wrote:Shared 415 times

Over 32,000 individual views in a few hours

Fingers crossed

John P
Thanks Guys I really appreciate this.
'74 Ceptor
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

If the thief has done this so they can keep the car we just need to look out for cars appearing that have not been seen for a while and look similar to the stolen ones, how many Blue Interceptors are there?
I would respray the car before selling it, and probably wouldn't spend too much love and money on removing the existing blue. If such a car does come up for sale I'd check for any remains of the blue paint and demand pictures documenting the respray.

Selling the parts individually on Ebay seems a bit risky and the profits are less than having a solid basis for a "new" car- what's that worth, easily 25k? And you still have plenty of parts to sell from either of the cars.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

johnw

Post by johnw »

Some very good points there Felix.

I had a Mk1 FF stolen. It wasn't as nice as this car, but it still hurts. Took a while for me to get interested in Jensens again. We will all have to keep our eyes and ears open.
felixkk wrote:
If the thief has done this so they can keep the car we just need to look out for cars appearing that have not been seen for a while and look similar to the stolen ones, how many Blue Interceptors are there?
I would respray the car before selling it, and probably wouldn't spend too much love and money on removing the existing blue. If such a car does come up for sale I'd check for any remains of the blue paint and demand pictures documenting the respray.

Selling the parts individually on Ebay seems a bit risky and the profits are less than having a solid basis for a "new" car- what's that worth, easily 25k? And you still have plenty of parts to sell from either of the cars.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:Some very good points there Felix.

I had a Mk1 FF stolen. It wasn't as nice as this car, but it still hurts. Took a while for me to get interested in Jensens again. We will all have to keep our eyes and ears open.
felixkk wrote:

was yours the one stolen from inside a showroom blocked in at the back ?????????? I read about this in Ulrics book
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
johnw

Post by johnw »

cannonball wrote: was yours the one stolen from inside a showroom blocked in at the back ?????????? I read about this in Ulrics book
No, mine was 119/036, engine number 746/19B which was taken from a locked garage in West London.
DPP

Post by DPP »

This is bad news 2 cars stolen in a short space of time and whilst having your car stolen is awful, it would be even worse to find out you were underinsured.
Remember to get an agreed value insurance cover for the replacement cost of your car should it go missing or be written off, this figure is usually much higher than its value if you were to sell it.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

I really do not think that any of these and future stolen cars will be parted. Good ones are worth far more than that. Actually it is an insult to the marque to constantly believe crims only want for parts.
They are stolen to sell. A person of interest known to me in the past boasted he and his little gang could boost a car to order, have her repainted, numbers changed and delivered using a donor rego within 24 hours. It is really easy. The police have more to do with their time than look for "middle class" loss.' Parking fines and all revenue raising is far more important than stolen cars which some police considor a bit "sus". Blessings. Kenny38 8)

Return to “General Discussion”