Software for cataloguing?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Martin B

Software for cataloguing?

Post by Martin B »

I have two Jensen Interceptors, one being a half stripped donor car. Are there any members who have come across software that could be used to catalog parts from the donor car using photographs and a narrative. I could number photographs and then have a spreadsheet with numbered description. Would be good to capture all on one document. Any suggestions warmly welcome.
Martin Bohling
1972 Jade Blue Interceptor MK3 37,000 miles:
colin7673
now normal...

Re: Software for cataloguing?

Post by colin7673 »

The person you need to talk to is Derek Chapman, you can find him on Facebook now days as he done this sort of thing for the P66. He might be able to advise you.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Thank You
Martin Bohling
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

You could do it in Excel and link the photos from another folder. You can insert a photo, but you soon end up with a massive Excel file if each photo is several mb, or you can link the photo so that it appears in Excel but is actually filed elsewhere, the only drawback with linking photos is the Excel file and photos must be on the same PC, laptop or whatever and as soon as you export the Excel file to somewhere else, from PC to laptop or send to someone else, you lose the link and therefore the photos.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Thanks John. I did think of Excell, but like you thought the file would get too large. I like the idea of the link although as you say limited as to its use.
Martin Bohling
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Isn't there a way in Excel of linking to an external file in the same folder that instead of when moving the Excel file to another computer you move the whole folder and so the links stay valid.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Excel was my solution for keeping track of parts. I also have a folder containing the pictures. As it is on an external USB drive it can be used on another PC, providing you use the same drive name. I have also found a way to have a small thumbnail picture show on mouseover of the link, without necessarily opening the bigger picture. All quite time consuming to set up but works really well. When I get back home in a week I can send you an example file.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

If any pictures are backed up to, for example, a personal Google pictures account, could the web link properties of the pictures be used in an excel file?
The pictures are then stored on your own on line Google account, not on a hard drive..?
Peter Heywood

Post by Peter Heywood »

I have used excel for lots of projects. I use mostly snip-it, to get what is needed. The resulting file size of 100 or so MB is not a problem.
Pete
autofahrer

Post by autofahrer »

there is software available, based on a database, that you can configur to your needs.
but you will a webserver.
big issue is the search for name or frase and mobil availability
RayR

Post by RayR »

I'd be looking at Microsoft Access or a similar database program if you have a lot of parts to do properly, assign attributes to each part (chrome, paint, colour, replace, finished etc.) and then it makes retrieval simple ie find all black painted parts. Agree using Snip for images will keep files sizes down. Shouldn't need any webserver with a reasonable computer.
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)

Return to “General Discussion”