Do shocks ever wear out

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

Do shocks ever wear out

Post by kenny38 »

There is a post somewhere about a LHD S3 being a bit wobbley when turning right. The owner said, in response to a suggestion, that his shocks were Konis and were fitted around 1993 so maybe time to change.
My SP (sort of) has been owned since 1988 and has had a dribble resto including paint over the years with all rust removed and living in a drought affected area for most of that time. The well respected repairers, both Vietnam vets, both with spinning eyes or 1000yard stares said they would never "do" another Jensen as "it's like an onion,sir". I digress. You name the part..it fell off. In fact I lived at the time in a darling Heritage "Iconic" timber double fronter with so many Heritage liens on the title........ My bedroom window opened next to where I parked the SP in the street and i was often woken by the clunk of another part hitting the road. Over the years I have replaced just about every part including a new engine very uprated for the time.
One thing has always concerned me. The shocks. According to just about everyone who has repaired her, the shocks are original but are still working well after all the usual tests. Should I get into line at opening hour at the nearest Koni dealer? Do we all die and go to heaven in spite of everything. Kenny38 :)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Re: Do shocks ever wear out

Post by Steve Payne »

They do wear out eventually but normally they start leaking first.

I suspect if you fitted new shocks you would be amazed at the difference in the way car handles and the comfort level would be much better.

Be very careful if you do replace them, just because they fit does not mean they are correct. For years people have been fitting Spax shocks in the UK, the problem was they are valved for a Jag, fitting correctly valved shocks makes a bigger difference than you would think.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
kees

Post by kees »

It should take more than 100.000km for Koni´sto loose some of their there damping force. If so you can adjust them another few turns.
I still have some NOS ones available for the Int. MkIII.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Thanks for that, guys. Are Konis or Bilstein suitable? Kenny38 8)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Depends if they are built to go on our cars or just happen to fit?

I have been fitting Avo's for a few years and I am pleased with them.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
kees

Post by kees »

Koni´s built them for the IntIII and Bilstein are made specially for the Int (and J-H) by a guy in the USA. He has developed shocks for several other classic cars. Does Putzke ring a bell?
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

I have a 1974 with what appeared to me Komi shocks. The car has about 45,000 miles on it and the ride is superb with the same shocks as when I purchased the car in the late 80’s. RacerJoe
Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

As mentioned,the best sign of a clapped out shock is dampness/leakage. If so,replace the pair,not just the one. Koni were/are the best IMO. For the Healey,I think they were sourced from Vauxhall,together with the axle.and carried a GM part number.
kees

Post by kees »

The Koni´s for the Jensen-Healey had a separate part number and were specially valved for the Jensen-Healey. However, as the suspension is Vauxhall Viva Koni shocks for the Viva 1600+ can be used without any problems.
SPAX has the same part numbers for Vauxhall viva and Jensen-Healey.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
Roh

Post by Roh »

You could always disconnect them at the bottom and see if they both feel the same when you push them in and pull them out.

You should also check that they have been set to the same adjustment position. Being a Koni it's probably only the rebound setting that is adjustable. To check them you fully collapse the shock absorber and turn it clockwise counting how many turns (say in 1/4 turns) until you can't turn it any further. You then turn it clockwise the desired number of turns to set it and pull it out to disengage the adjustment mechanism.
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
RayR

Post by RayR »

If you are really concerned take them to a good shock shop and they can test high and low speed performance and pair matching for about NZ$100. Then you have the knowledge to rebuild or replace.
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)
Julian

Post by Julian »

I had Bilsteins on the saloon, Spax adjustables on the convertible. The Bilsteins gave a far better ride. Lazy me should have swapped them over when I sold the saloon maybe :(
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Bilsteins it is, then. Thanks to everyone. Mechanic is surprised as he found no problem but "would you like a Webber conversion"? Kenny38 8)
RayR

Post by RayR »

Think it depends on what you want Kenny. I had Bilsteins on the front of mine and agree with Julian, better ride than my previous Spax adjustables - but too soft for my liking on windy country roads - replaced them with AVO adjustables and they work well for me.

Ray
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)
Stig

Post by Stig »

At this years MOT I had the rejected due to a "no read-out" on the shock (front) tester.
Replaced the front shocks (SPAX, as the old ones - one had clearly been leaking) and went for MOT again.
Still no read-out - but the inspector acknowledged that it had brand new shocks and mentioned that the missing read-out might be because the spring/shock travel on my car is very limmited indeed.
As some noted during the 2016 meet in Germany - it is very low at the front.
Attachments
Savonlinna 2018.PNG
Savonlinna 2018.PNG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 4428 times
Stig Jensen
JOC 9768

-----------
'20 Audi A4 2,0 T Quattro
'89 Porsche 964 C4
'98 RR 4,6 HSE, modified for offroad use
'73 Int III J, near n & b job completed 2013

Return to “General Discussion”