New chassis data book launch

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Han Kamp

New chassis data book launch

Post by Han Kamp »

Richard Calver's new and better data book will be launched in Melbourne tonight. In his own words it is the biggest and heaviest book he ever produced. Too big for binding machines, so these are all hand bound..
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
Eddie

Re: New chassis data book launch

Post by Eddie »

I will have to make space on my bookshelf.
D0A009B7-191D-47A1-8E6C-E8CD40FA357B.jpeg
D0A009B7-191D-47A1-8E6C-E8CD40FA357B.jpeg (163.48 KiB) Viewed 6020 times
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

As your have a "full set" might be worth getting them Insured.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Seen it. Got it. Absolutely fabulous.
Last edited by felixkk on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Any information about the time of dispatch from him?
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

My copy is on the way from OZ, Ric mailed the track & trace code.
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Seen it. Got it. Absolutely fabulous. This must be his magnum opus. Forget about it being simply an update of the previous book - it is so much more than that and every owner should have one.

I know it is a lot of money - an awful lot of money - but it really is cheap for what you get.

AND, whilst waiting for it to arrive I was ready to sarcastically ask when will he do the same for commercial vehicles, but they are in it too - every one listed! Fantastic.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
Anton001

Post by Anton001 »

Hi,

As there anyone who is able to inform me on the difference to the "old" one?

Anton
Jensen Healey Mk1 1123 / 11016
Jensen C-V8 MK3 112 / 2419
Jensen 541S / S1079

www.jensenholland.nl
shaun

Post by shaun »

Anton,

This is an extract from an email Richard sent me that explains the book:-

I have been calling this the "new databook" but it is in reality much more than that. In fact, it has a new name. It is now "The Jensen Genome", a title based on the premise that the information it contains is basically the DNA of Jensen. The entries show what went into building Jensen as an entity, albeit one which is now extinct.

The Genome is my biggest book yet. It weighs 5kg, has over 700 pages and is in large landscape format, 270x380mm. The print is big for old eyes, the text is new, there are about 100 photos and the page edges are colour coded to help you know where you are in the book.

Each book comes with five colour coded bookmarks, numbered to the book, so don't lose them. They allow the reader to leave a bookmark at a frequently consulted page or section, for convenience. In addition, there is a fabric bookmark bound into the book. The covers are heavyweight faux leather in black with gold embossing. It has marbled endpapers and the foreword is by Ian Orford. There are only 500 copies so I suggest people don't hang about.
Australia and New Zealand have accounted for the first 100 in pre-orders, and that's about all the stock I have available at present as printing is not yet finished and won't be done for another couple of months.

The book launch will be on 7 August in Melbourne at the Elgin Inn, a pub frequented by the Jensen Car Club of Australia. The President and Vice-President will be there and Phil Barker is flying in from New Zealand to take copies back for the Kiwis.

If I say so myself, each of my previous books has been a ground-breaker in some particular way but I think this one will eclipse them to a certain extent. It is for the die-hard Jensen fanatics. It includes completely new tables for the pre-war cars, PWs and 6-cylinder Interceptors, plus new tables for the JNSNs, Tugs, Tempos and S-V8s. The tables for the 541s, C-V8s, Interceptors, FFs, Healeys and GTs have all been revised and updated, so this is as good as it will ever get.

There is more than 30 years' work in this so I hope people respect that effort and enjoy the book, knowing what went into it.

I hope this explains the difference.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Anton - depending what car you own, the raw data may be unchanged, unless there were errors. But most have updates and a great many have footnotes. In fact for the less common types (including 541 and C-V8s) there are footnotes for almost every single car, giving additional information.

For the more unusual cars such as S and H types the original book, a great leap forward though it was at the time, includes maybe 5% of what is in this one.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Nothing on Richards home page, where can we get a copy?
Richard Calver

The Jensen Genome

Post by Richard Calver »

Folks, there is no announcement yet because there is no regular supply. A few people have copies by prior arrangement but it will take time for supply to catch up with demand. Printing has been going on for a month and will likely take another month, and binding will probably take until Christmas before it is all finished. These books are too big and heavy to go through a commercial binding machine so they are all being done by hand, a bit like our cars I guess. I will put something on the web site about ordering once supply is good. In the meantime, don't look for me on social media because I'm not there.

Yes, the launch in Melbourne was a great success and the first three dozen are gone. I came prepared with shopping bags to hand out to purchasers so that people could carry their books out of the venue. The 30 or so who showed up are about the only ones who have seen the book so far and they all seemed pretty happy, as far as I could tell. The cries of "leech" and "bloodsucker" which accompanied the release of the Chassis Data in 1991 at $95 were curiously absent when the Genome was announced at $450. Whether this indicates approbation or shock, I'm not sure. If you are interested, talk to someone who bought a copy already. Their impressions might help you decide whether you want one yourself. I just got back to Canberra today and will get onto some orders next week.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I hope to collect (and pay for) mine in person either later in the year or, early in the new year please :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Martin R wrote:I hope to collect (and pay for) mine in person either later in the year or, early in the new year please :D
Yes, me too. Something to look forward to for 2020.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

mine is being shipped tomorrow :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Return to “General Discussion”