Trackday with the C-V8 (Anneau du Rhin)

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
RayR

Re: Trackday with the C-V8 (Anneau du Rhin)

Post by RayR »

The car looks and sounds great, a fun day!

When you look at the video the oil pressure drops almost immediately when you turn into a left hand bend even at modest lateral G levels, I would be wanting to fix that ASAP or risk an engine failure, I would imagine this is also happening on the road? putting the oil level back to the top limit will probably help some until you find a longer term fix.
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)
Roh

Post by Roh »

The big end bearings? Tappets?
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

RayR wrote:The car looks and sounds great, a fun day!

When you look at the video the oil pressure drops almost immediately when you turn into a left hand bend even at modest lateral G levels, I would be wanting to fix that ASAP or risk an engine failure, I would imagine this is also happening on the road? putting the oil level back to the top limit will probably help some until you find a longer term fix.
Hi Ray. I'll check when driving on the road, although I'll have to find a road where I can test the left corners at appropriate speed :D The limiting factor on the track in the tight corners weren't the tires- it was how much I was able to hold on to the steering wheel. My palms were bright red in the evening and I had muscle cramps waist up the next day. Also must less tire screeching in the corners than on normal roads. I really fun day and a worthwile experience.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

I would also look for the oil pump drive shaft and the distributor gear. There is nothing inside the oil pump that can make the noice that Felix describe. The crank needs good oil flow but I doubt that you would hear a single knock from a big end - it should be permanent knocking ( but then it is definitely too late :-) )
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Roh

Post by Roh »

Could you tighten the seat belt to hold you in better?
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
Roh

Post by Roh »

Was it just a single knock, or knocking that you heard during each left hand corner?
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

It was a single knock, in mid curve of Turn 2- not every time. It seemed to be coming from somwhere below the driver's seat, not up front- but I could be wrong. After the trackday the knocking never returned, and I had the car checked underneath. I was just out this morning with the C-V8 and on quick left hand corners the oil pressure doesn't drop- it will probably need longer tighter faster cornering.

The C-V8 has had the seatbelts removed- but I doubt that they would be of much help and the seats in the C-V8 give zero lateral support. The GT350 at least had waist belts.

I was looking into what is available as an alternative (actually more for the 541) and came across Cobra Seats. I don't know if they would fit, but they seem quite affordable.

https://www.cobraseats.com/seats.html?pid=6&cid=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.cobraseatsshop.co.uk/cobra- ... -104-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
classic.jpg
classic.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
classic_spec2.gif
classic_spec2.gif (29.63 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Dion

Post by Dion »

A friend bought similar ones (I'll ask him tonight) a year ago and fitted them in his Sunbeam Stiletto.
I drove the car and was not happy with them. He now is also not too happy as they are not much comfortable. Especially on the long runs which is bad news as he will join us in a four day 2000 mile tour around the Alps starting this afternoon :D
10CR from the Triumph club if anyone is interested (I'll be in the TR4 with its quite comfortable original seats) :D :D
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Roh

Post by Roh »

A single knock won't be the engine so that is a relief. Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts?
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Dion wrote:A friend bought similar ones (I'll ask him tonight) a year ago and fitted them in his Sunbeam Stiletto.
I drove the car and was not happy with them. He now is also not too happy as they are not much comfortable. Especially on the long runs which is bad news as he will join us in a four day 2000 mile tour around the Alps starting this afternoon :D
10CR from the Triumph club if anyone is interested (I'll be in the TR4 with its quite comfortable original seats) :D :D
I fear you‘re right. Probably also a sweaty affair. Nonetheless, they wouldn‘t have to be in the car all year long...
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Roh wrote:Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts?
I don‘t think so... the issue was more or less considered ad acta (dealt with) when the noise didn‘t reappear...
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Just a thought. I find my oil pressure will drop to zero under heavy braking, but only if the oil level is on the mark on the dip stick, if i top it up a little, say 1/4", or 5-6 mm, above the 'full' mark this doesn't happen (the oil pressure will still drop but only to around 20 psi and then recover quickly). This is with a new dip stick fitted when the engine was rebuilt. But a similar thing would happen before the rebuild after the car was serviced and the 'correct' amount of oil added, except that my old dip stick had new min/max marks ground on to it and the, refreshed, oil level would be below these, the guy who did the service always refused to believe the marks on the old dip stick were correct and wouldn't put any more oil in than the book says you should, but i would secretly add a pint and bring the oil up to the mark and the problem would go away. I don't think the new dip stick shows the correct oil level, but that's just when used in my engine, with non standard spin-off oil filter, and may not be true when used in other engines.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

Hi Felix,
They really are great fun on a track, all that power!!
I would recommend have a look at introducing some negative camber to get the best out of radial tyres, a racing seat and an Interceptor steering wheel. They are aluminium and not wood rimmed so don't have anywhere near the same amount of flex.

Ian
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

John Staddon wrote:Just a thought. I find my oil pressure will drop to zero under heavy braking, but only if the oil level is on the mark on the dip stick, if i top it up a little, say 1/4", or 5-6 mm, above the 'full' mark this doesn't happen (the oil pressure will still drop but only to around 20 psi and then recover quickly). This is with a new dip stick fitted when the engine was rebuilt. But a similar thing would happen before the rebuild after the car was serviced and the 'correct' amount of oil added, except that my old dip stick had new min/max marks ground on to it and the, refreshed, oil level would be below these, the guy who did the service always refused to believe the marks on the old dip stick were correct and wouldn't put any more oil in than the book says you should, but i would secretly add a pint and bring the oil up to the mark and the problem would go away. I don't think the new dip stick shows the correct oil level, but that's just when used in my engine, with non standard spin-off oil filter, and may not be true when used in other engines.

John
Thank you John, that is worth looking into- and may correlate with what happened, since my oil was also somewhat low- additionally I had just picked the C-V8 up from being serviced.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Ian Northeast wrote:Hi Felix,
They really are great fun on a track, all that power!!
I would recommend have a look at introducing some negative camber to get the best out of radial tyres, a racing seat and an Interceptor steering wheel. They are aluminium and not wood rimmed so don't have anywhere near the same amount of flex.

Ian
Yes, great fun- I agree!! Too much power to hold on to :D Thank you for your advice. Camber was also an issue when I talked to one of our members who did a lot of racing. On Porsches (he said) it was easy to adjust. Problem is, the C-V8 is not a track car but more of a car I use whenever I can... The flex on the steering wheel was astonishing and a bit worrisome, I was afraid it would snap...
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Return to “General Discussion”