Old style V5, need new MOT and Tax.

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
FFJohn

Old style V5, need new MOT and Tax.

Post by FFJohn »

I have my old style V5, and I want to quickly tax the car.
Can I MOT it without waiting for the new style V5?
Can I tax it too?
I don't need to change the address.
I would like to take the car abroad this weekend, or very soon,
and I will need a V5 with me, as I want to get an import certificate
for the car and try and get it Swiss residency. Has anyone done this with their Jensen?
ajm541s

V5C etc

Post by ajm541s »

You can MOT the car without getting the new V5C. To re-register your best bet is to go to your nearest DVLA Licencing office, rather than local post office, but I don't think it will be possible to get the new V5C straight away, it normally takes quite a few days. You might be able to retain the old V5 in case you are asked to produce it when abroad. For Swiss registration I suggest you talk to Edgar Schwyn eschwyn@swissonline.ch. Edgar knows the system well and will be of invaluable help to you.
Good luck,
Tony
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Alan Smith1

Post by Alan Smith1 »

Hello John,
If your car was taxed or you had declared a SORN statement you should have got a V5C automatically. All old type V5s went out of use on 30th June 2005. If it was on the road after 1997 you should of had one or the other. Here is my attempt at giving the situation in the September 2005 issue of the magazine: -
If a vehicle did not have a licence on or after 31 January 1998 then a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) does not have to be made. In the UK by law every car on the road or with a SORN should by the 1st July 2005 have one of the new V5 C Registration Documents (Log book). If you haven’t received one automatically then you should contact the DVLA Customer Enquiries (Vehicle) on 0870 2400010 or their special line that deals with this enquiry on 0870 8501031. Therefore cars that come into the first category will not be known about by the DVLA and will not have a legal Registration Certificate. Now there is a rumor that sometime in the future a tax will be imposed on all vehicles whatever state they’re in (the DVLA deny this) so owners are reluctant to tell the DVLA about their cars.
Cars taken off the road before 31st January 1998 i.e. no SORN will now have up to July 2006 to apply for the new V5 C. You can do this by sending off the old V5 with form V62 (downloadable from www.dvla.gov.uk or from Licensing Agency Local Offices) and they will send you a new V5 C free. Or if you do not want to part with the old V5 or have lost it, it will cost 19 pounds. If the DVLA were not informed of an owner change then enquiries will be made. If you believe there will be a possession tax and wish to keep the number of cars you have secret or genuinely find a car "˜in a barn’ with no documentation and then wish to get the car back on the road this is what you do: - The car will have to undergo a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) at a Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). This only checks the legality of the car from information you supply and is not a safety check. Then it is a lot more forms to eventually get a V5 C. Of course there are a lot of fees to be paid. So it is up to you. I believe this years "˜grace’ is because this situation was not thought of and the year is for them to get their act together. The Jensen Owners' Club does have a good relationship with the DVLA and can help members with certain matters. But this is how I understand this situation at the moment and members should consider the DVLA as first point of call. The web-site is there and there are many help lines to clarify matters.
Cheerio for now, Alan.
ffdave

Post by ffdave »

Allan,

I phoned dvla last week about my davrian kit car which has been off the road since 95, (it's dead, jim!) as it still has an old v5. The guy asked me to confirm my address and car vin no and then sent me a new style v5 in the post. I still have the old one and no charge was made!.

It was so easy i had to have a lie down!.

Dave.
Dave Barnett
JOC member 98
Healey V8 12070
FF1 119-027
FF1 119-151
SP 138-8698
71 Davrian Mk6
69 Davrian Mk4
67 Davrian Mk 1
FFJohn

Post by FFJohn »

You are luck as ever Dave! I tried it on ringing both numbers, but no luck. They wanted me to send in the old one. It does look like I can still tax the vehicle though. If you used a magic phone no dave, we would all like to know it!

Return to “General Discussion”