Heat Resistant Primer

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
johnw

Re: Heat Resistant Primer

Post by johnw »

John Staddon wrote:Yes, this is for the early Interceptor engine which was painted Austin-Healey metallic silver green. AH Spares sell the paint in a tin, Anglo Car Parts sell the same paint in an aerosol, it's cheaper to buy a tin, and I have, as the aerosol provides much less paint for a similar price to a tin. But having experimented with primer and paint on some small engine parts I find that whilst the primer, from an aerosol, goes on nicely the paint really needs to be sprayed to get the mother of pearl effect I would like, it will brush on but as you might expect brushing spreads the pigment out in the direction of the brush strokes. I think the answer is going to be a coat, or two, of brushed on paint finished off with a light coat of aerosol applied paint to give the final finish. But that's some way off as the engine needs rebuilding first. I don't need to worry about curing the paint with heat, that will happen the first time the engine runs (and it's only the primer that needs heat to finally cure, though I have to say it sets like a rock in a couple of hours, sufficient to sand down with no problems).

John
I have tried Aerosol over brush painting and it has never worked out. What has worked is cheaper spray first, wet dry, wait a week or more, change of brand top coat. So maybe silver VHT, get it perfect, then 2 light coats of top, day in between, then one final thick coat.

A thick coat is needed to get the pearl effect. The thin coats and waiting a day to week are to allow earlier coats to shrink back and to minimise reaction. This might only need a couple of tins to do an entire engine. Do the hard work with the silver.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
clivey

Re: Heat Resistant Primer

Post by clivey »

Hi, I've not used this but here's a brush on temp resistant self etch primer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-150ml-Ac ... SwKcRbzuIv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the best

Clive
Clive Messenger
1974 Jensen Healey
1975 Jensen Healey JH5

Return to “General Discussion”