Notre Dame

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
mikebyrne

Notre Dame

Post by mikebyrne »

I bet Notre Dame will be restored before Brexit occurs .
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Jensen 541 PWX 164 chassis no. 22/5206
541 alloy bodied prototype.
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
kenny38

Re: Notre Dame

Post by kenny38 »

That's because Brexit will never occur. kenny38 :roll:
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

Looks like I am on to a winner then; better nip down to the bookies.!!
I guess a good deal of the millions/billions we pay into the common market may well go to paying for the Notre Dame resto job.
Instead of shelling that obscene amount out to Europe, how much would each ligitimate tax paying Brit get if it was instead, shared out equally to us all ?
It is our money anyway. The government collect it for us and keep it safe !!????
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
johnw

Post by johnw »

I think it is tragic that with such a building, so big, 856 years old, that it took so long before someone actually squirted water or extinguishing agent on it. It is yet another real tragedy for the long suffering people of France. They have to live with French bureaucrats every day, no real prospect of leaving the EU. Poor service & corruption. It is nice to fly into Zurich, walking through the airport, just knowing you are not in the EU. Switzerland is like a little sanctuary in the middle of Europe. Not so many mindless EU regulations and red tape (a few annoyingly seep through the cracks now and then). Hopefully the UK will get out, I would put money on this. I guess we thought it would be all be German speed limits and French bread back in the 1970s when we joined. I know French yellow headlamps were a pain in the 70s when travelling, but even those are now banned across the EU for normal use on new vehicles. Not being in the EU is fantastic. It is like driving a Jensen after a long restoration, every single day you wake up.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

There is an international competition to design a new steeple. Here is my rough design. I have cut and paste the Brighton eye 360 in place of the 19th century recently destroyed spire. It would be a tourist attraction, it looks like a cross from a distance, and has a rising "Halo" observation deck. I am semi serious too, it is my way of restoring our national pride and helping Anglo-French relations...
Attachments
Notre Dame 360 eye spire.jpg
Notre Dame 360 eye spire.jpg (157.96 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
Last edited by Frankoid on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

John, Switzerland is the way it is because we are humorless and pedantic- nothing to do with not being in the EU :shock:
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

felixkk wrote:John, Switzerland is the way it is because we are humorless and pedantic- nothing to do with not being in the EU :shock:
Great deadpan delivery there Felix! :D
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Frankoid wrote:
felixkk wrote:John, Switzerland is the way it is because we are humorless and pedantic- nothing to do with not being in the EU :shock:
Great deadpan delivery there Felix! :D
:D but it‘s the double truth, Ruth :D Discussion about the pros and cons of the EU was 3 years ago. Now‘s the time to face the reality of what it means to leave.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Frankoid wrote:There is an international competition to design a new steeple. Here is my rough design.
Brighton eye 360 my foot. You've obviously seen a pop rivet lying around and modelled it on that. :wink:

This means you have a choice of designs:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

What gets me is that .take any iconic hugely old edifice and decide that it needs to have major restoration. OK,lets get on with it. So,the scaffolding goes up (what a brilliant earner that is,sitting there for three-five years). and the builders move in. This happened at York Minster more than once...Windsor Castle recently...the William Morris building in Scotland ,twice..National Trust properties too numerous to mention,but close to me Uppark,in W.Sx. Now in Paris. It is always while the builders (?) are in. ………..I have just noticed that the 'builders' are in at the Houses of Parliament .Does that mean that they will burn the house down,and that may solve the problem of Brexit !
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

.the William Morris building in Scotland ,twice
That would be the Charles Rennie Mackintosh building you're thinking of. Good point though - it was renovations that did for it in the end, as it was otherwise unoccupied.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

Or possibly something after this style ?
The center "O" could resemble the London Eye and be a great tourist attraction.
Mike.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I see you have gone for the abstract modernist look Mike, similar to the post industrial brutalist look of the re-built Coventry Cathedral. Coventry wanted to attract tourist to see the new Cathedral and were worried that people would be put off by the lack of parking. So they based the appearance of the new Cathedral on a multi-story car park, albeit without parking facilities.... The high water mark in the refurbishment of the famed ship Cutty Sark was when the restorers burnt it down, and the subsequent sparking of public interest in the project. This swelled the initially insufficient funds to an amount high enough to complete the renovations. In view of the fact that the Houses of Parliament are presently extremely vulnerable whilst in the hands of expert restorers, (and in light of the pop-rivetgate controversy of my previous design), my new submission involves placing a multi-story car park at the site of the palace of Westminster and moving Big Ben to Paris..
Attachments
Notre Dame Big Ben.jpg
Notre Dame Big Ben.jpg (162.08 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Francis, your skill with the scissors, instead of using Photoshop, means that we must invent a new word: Francoshopped.
Stephen, Epping, Essex
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Mike, your minimalistic art deco rendering reminds me of the original JOC club logo. Could they both be from the same drawing board?
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “General Discussion”