4 post ramps

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Jon H

Re: 4 post ramps

Post by Jon H »

Kevin Birch wrote:I was really disappointed the weekend, was going to have a look at the Automech single post lift, which is a reasonable £1650 +Vat, at the Restoration Show, but unfortunately they weren't there. I wanted to look at the quality of the item and just how stable it is.
It is a mine field, and would really avoid second hand ramps as you do not know how well they have been looked after.
Hi Kevin,

I wanted to look at that lift also. They were in the catalogue listing but nowhere to be seen on the floor plan. I gave up looking in the end. Might be worth you looking at the strongman Alness lift. This has cross beams that wrap around the corner posts so should be very stable even if not bolted down. A bit more expensive at £2000 plus vat but when you are working under a 2t car you can't put a price on confidence. The only other downside is that they are a little wider than the cheaper "non wrap around" models.

Good luck,

Jon
J.O.C. Member 10151.
It's taken 40 years + but I have my Interceptor at last!
MkIII J Series 2240 9277
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Clive Bishop wrote:Anyone got / used or can review Twin Busch ramps https://twinbusch.co.uk/product_info.ph ... ...friends" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; of mine in Germany use the scissor lift and are very pleased with the product and the price as they like me do not have the room for a 2 or 4 post ramp inside the garage...have the width but not the height and the council have refused me planning permission to raise the garage height.

I think their UK distributer was at the recent show at the NEC, they certainly were in 2018

Clive have your purchased a lift yet and was if one of these?? I'm just concerned that I don't have much height in the garage as it a standard height, but it's slightly wider than normal
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Colin,

No have not purchased due to a variety of reasons including having to raise the garage roof anyway, but we may move and / or seeing what happens over the next months.
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
kees

Post by kees »

Second hand 4-post lifts from Koni are very popular here. Cheap and plentiful. From about €500. Widely available as nearly all garages use(d) them and a lot of the smaller business' are packing up or others replace their older ramps to comply with the latest professional standards which are not needed for the amateur.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Mine is an old Bradbury 4 post, how did I manage without it. Quite stable with an ISO on it, probably similar weight to a Jensen.There are 2 for sale on UK eBay, approx £500, probably will need motor changing for single phase .

Post by sticky »

Grant wrote:
Michael Richardson wrote:OMG. Having been in the motor trade since 1961,yes I do mean '61,our lives revolved around the ramps. The first requirement was a ramp,and the first port of call was Bradbury. It was a major investment to buy a four post /wheel free Brad. For starters you needed it for MOT tests It was the best bit of kit available.... Are you saying that some private owners are considering this bit of kit in a domestic garage ?. I don't get that,unless your garage is an industrial building. Flush fitting floor ramps involved major groundworks,so if you were building new premises,that would work. The Brad bolted down on any floor,and could be moved without a problem. I personally bought six various ramps during my time ,but the thought of having my own lifter at home....well the mind boggles. !
Michael.. in my opinion every keen car enthusiast should have one, especially when you get to 50ishImage.. and of course if you get a 4 poster in your garage and you have 2 cars you can use a 4 poster as a storage facility and have one the ramp up in the air and then another beneath it :P .. I am not sure why you wouldn't agree about having one at homeImage.. every bedroom should have a car liftImage
i quite agree Grant my 2 post is 4 ton and with my range rover up on it i can still get my 320 tourer under neath it no good if you have leakes of any fluid.
sticky by name stick at it by nature !!!!
johnw

Post by johnw »

Grant wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 pm Image.. every bedroom should have a car liftImage
Picked up a nice 4 poster for the bedroom yesterday :D Not a new one mind, a good old Bradbury from the 60s/70s. Amazing quality. A job and a half to move it. Seller couldn't have been more helpful. To be honest I didn't know it was a Bradbury at first as it has been repainted!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Grant

Post by Grant »

johnw wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:19 am
Grant wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 pm Image.. every bedroom should have a car liftImage
Picked up a nice 4 poster for the bedroom yesterday :D Not a new one mind, a good old Bradbury from the 60s/70s. Amazing quality. A job and a half to move it. Seller couldn't have been more helpful. To be honest I didn't know it was a Bradbury at first as it has been repainted!
The guy we got our convertible from John was an extremely eccentric chap, anyway when I last went there he said he bought a bunch of cars on a whim and needed some ramps, so he then bought a few 4 posters too, 10 from memory! he had a massive barn, anyway, I'm sure he said that he realised after trying to move the 1st one that the easiest way was to raise the ramp, then back the trailer in under it and lower the beds onto the trailer, then I guess unbolt it..that's all I can remember when he was saying they were awkward buggers to move..does that sound feasible? Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

It takes all sorts! That does work though, there is a video on YouTube too! To save more effort, you could leave a small car on the ramp as you lower the ramp onto the trailer, save another journey and you only have to strap on the car!

I didn't try that as the Bradbury is a very wide 4 poster and I was driving 40 miles on twisty narrow roads!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
JH5speed

Post by JH5speed »

Dig a pit. l've done this twice now. Can't imagine life without one. And by 'pit' l mean just 2foot deep. Deep enough to be useful and shallow enough not to be a worried too much about structure, gas and fire risk (and no roof mods required).

Marc
Marc Horobin
20399 - JH5 - KRY405P

Return to “General Discussion”