Ah, Jensen Ownership

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Robinson D

Ah, Jensen Ownership

Post by Robinson D »

Just normal stuff. Had the header (exhaust manifold) gaskets replaced (Felpro this time) to pass inspection (MOT) and the next time I went to take it out the battery was completely dead. As it is an Optima, I thought that rather strange. Hooked up the jumper cables to my Jeep and immediately the trouble light came on. They must have inadvertently pushed down the switch while replacing the gaskets. Half an hour later, not a volt or amp taken. Read up on it and these deep cycle batteries have a rather elaborate recharging sequence when fully discharged and fortunately I have the right kind of charger to accomplish it. The battery was past warranty, but it was worth a try.

Removing the battery was straightforward after figuring out that one cable was secured with a 1/2" nut and the other with a 13mm. After following all of the instructions, brought the battery in to be tested and it was still stone dead. Of course that particular battery that fits perfectly wasn't in stock, but they could have one for me in the morning. Lug battery home. Got the call this morning that the new battery had arrived. Lug battery back, get new battery, and install.

Turn the key one click, let the fuel pump cycle, turn to start, engine fires up immediately (I love fuel injection). Take it out on the highway, do some spirited driving behind a trio on small Mercedes that can obviously afford the speeding tickets (nothing over 95) and on the way back I hear a "ping" and see something silvery in my rear-view mirror. When I pull in to put the beast back in its lair, I found my supposition was correct. The rectangular chrome cover for the right front jack port plug had given way, leaving the rest of the plug behind it.

Get home, call Nitewing Jensen and leave a message on what I need. Leon calls back. He has the whole assembly in stock. I'll be getting a check out in the morning and should have the replacement shortly. Typical day of Jensen ownership.
Restoring a MKII, 125/5052

Return to “General Discussion”