Exhaust system - asking for help

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
NorbertB

Exhaust system - asking for help

Post by NorbertB »

My Interceptor MKIII has a compelte handbuild 2,5" exhaust system, this was a strong recommendation of my former motorbuilder / workshop to give the engine the air flow rate that it was designed to have. As it is a little bit too loud i asked my workshop now to fit an additional silencer. They today dismanteled the whole exhaust and found that the my mufflers are completely empty, no sound-deadening material to see at all. It semms to be nonsence to add silencers when the mufflers are not working properly.
It would like to go and by new mufflers now, but dont have any idea what will fit to the car.
Does anybody have recommendations of 2.5" mufflers stainless steel which fit to the Interceptor? Sound is allowed to be more powerful than the smooth original, but not as roaring as it was and as for example Andys (Toby) car is.
Or does anybody have a sketch or drawing or good pictures of the original exhaust, best with dimensions?

Thank you very much in advance
Norbert
JOC member 9641
Jensen Interceptor MKIII 133/5661
Peugeot 504 B31 convertible
Mercedes R107 300SL
Daimler XJ6 S2
Dion

Re: Exhaust system - asking for help

Post by Dion »

Are you sure they are empty? Usually with straight through silencers you can only see the steel wool if you cut it open.
I put a complete SS exhaust in my TR4 25 years ago, it became louder over the years. Cut open the main silencer and found it almost empty - just a tiny bit stuck in the corners. Filled it with glass isolation wool (DIY stores stuff) and welded it shut. It has been lovely quiet since (3000 miles).
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Tone

Post by Tone »

I had a similar problem on my MkII when i bought it. Tim, the previous owner, called it Bullit, because it sounded like Steve McQueen's car in the film. When i looked at the history it had had a single silencer replaced whilst on tour in Europe. I found that the other, an original as far as i could tell, was completely devout of any sound deadener. I imagined it had just decayed and got blown out of the pipe. I bought a pair of new silencers from Martin Robey and now i find it a little too quiet!
Tony

Interceptor II /4010
Jensen Healey 5 speed /19314 (big project)
'78 CJ7 Jeep
Pajero Evolution
NorbertB

Post by NorbertB »

Unfortunately it is sure that they are (now) empty. Seems that the original silncers have been cut and adapted to the 2,5" pipes. Nearly 10 years ago and i can´t remember what was bespoken. Never mind, first i would like to replace these silencers with stainless steel onces but with isolation.
Attachments
Silencer.jpg
Silencer.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
JOC member 9641
Mercedes R107 300SL
Daimler XJ6 S2
Tone

Post by Tone »

Well i suppose you could buy some more standard ones and adapt them like the ones you have?
Tony

Interceptor II /4010
Jensen Healey 5 speed /19314 (big project)
'78 CJ7 Jeep
Pajero Evolution
NorbertB

Post by NorbertB »

Would try to buy the silencers from Martin Robey, but they are designed for original diamater pipes, but i want to keep the 2.5" and also stainles steel. Any recommendations where to by?
JOC member 9641
Mercedes R107 300SL
Daimler XJ6 S2
Grant

Post by Grant »

NorbertB wrote:Would try to buy the silencers from Martin Robey, but they are designed for original diamater pipes, but i want to keep the 2.5" and also stainles steel. Any recommendations where to by?
Norbert, there are so many bespoke exhaust manufactures here in the UK, most of them make silencers to match your old ones, it is a big business here, surely there must be many out there in Germany too?
If not,..Talk to Andy Brooks from Appleyards, he'l get them made locally for you with 2.5" pipes in and out.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Mine are from Germanexhaust in Chemnitz.
Google it and Ralf will make you a copy.
Nice mellow sound.

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
NorbertB

Post by NorbertB »

That is the Info I hoped to receive :-)
Somebody in Germany who has already made them.
Thanks to everybodys answers.
JOC member 9641
Mercedes R107 300SL
Daimler XJ6 S2

Return to “General Discussion”