A problem hexperts couldn't see

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

A problem hexperts couldn't see

Post by kenny38 »

Went to a five day flower festival recently. I went to take part in show and shine over two days. Grafton NSW
It was 36 degrees. I was most pleased that the president of Porsch car club Australia was very late and was locked out of ground for some hours. The attendant was most impressed by the SP and directed me to park in the best most visible spot on angle on small hillock in field. Huge interest with lotsa WTF's. I got tired of lifting bonnet so went into angry old white man stance a few times. Car won best in show. Stiff competition from Austin Healys. A "recently arrived" woman in turban actually used a gloriously painted 3000 bonnet to change her baby. He came back and exploded. Great theatre.
Anyway it was dark when I pulled into BP station and pulled up at 98 pump. Put in 36 ltres and drove off. Got to my cabin when a bang and a rattle sounded plus huge clouds of white smoke. Next morning 3 mech engineers plus roadside assistance gathered around and no one knew what it was, offering much advice. Old feral stumbled out of bush and says "jeeze, that f^%$g Diesel stinks. Yes I had filled her up with PREMIUM diesel. But all the signs were there according to my boy racer mechanic later. Car went back 300kil on tow truck. In my defence,sir, it was dark and both pumps had ULTIMATE printed on same background with a small black sign saying diesel. Went by garage in morning and complained that in bad light it was easy to make an error, bored pimply kid said "yeah, we get a lot of that stuff wiv old cars. Do you want to buy somefing"?This,then, was my punishment for not knowing my place earlier. Kenny38 :evil:
Dino Fritz

Re: A problem hexperts couldn't see

Post by Dino Fritz »

Oh KHB, I so feel for you.

Happened to a friend of mine a few months back (and he's a mechanic too, so don't feel so bad - it does happen to everyone). Wait till you get the bill and find out what they charge you for disposing of the mixed fuel (hint - keep it yourself to wash parts with)!!!

Cheers, Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
kees

Post by kees »

It happened exactly that way to me in the UK near Harwich a few years back when returning home from the International. The petrol and diesel pumps were oddly arranged, standard diesel next to Euro95 and ultimate diesel next to ultimate petrol Euro98.
It should be good practice to make a ring/barrier in the filler neck to allow the petrol nozzle in but is to narrow for the diesel nozzle, similar to modern cars have these days.
Kees Oudesluijs
Last edited by kees on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

so its not just me then :oops:
Attachments
IMG_8380.jpeg
IMG_8380.jpeg (264.81 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
NorbertB

Post by NorbertB »

New signs are just coming up to avoid mistakes like this, so just choose the circular:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Will be shown on the nozzels in EU (maybe also in Uk after Brexit ;-))
JOC member 9641
Jensen Interceptor MKIII 133/5661
Peugeot 504 B31 convertible
Mercedes R107 300SL
Daimler XJ6 S2
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

I stupidly put £33.00 of unleaded in my Navara diesel truck last sunday on the way home from the pod full big weight in truck Dodge challenger on the trailor 100 miles from home I only realized as I got a sudden backwash petrol smell, I thought NO FFS what the fck do I do now fk it banged £53.00 diesel on top and drove home you could not tell any difference although I was shittin myself waiting for the smoke and it standing on its nose,, I have carried on banging diesel in as often as possible to thin it all down, fingers crossed it seems fine with no ill effects,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
sentimental journey

Post by sentimental journey »

NorbertB wrote:New signs are just coming up to avoid mistakes like this, so just choose the circular:
Clipboard01.jpg
You are idiots if you put the wrong fuel in your car after these signs come out!

They are so easy to read and self explanatory.

I hope we get them in German too here in Sydney!
None of us are getting out of this alive!

119/038
127/216
127/246
127/253
sentimental journey

Post by sentimental journey »

Kenny

FYI

I have done it too!

Mark
None of us are getting out of this alive!

119/038
127/216
127/246
127/253
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

A mate of mine did similar. He brimmed the tank with unleaded when he should've used diesel... in the ambulance he was driving. Oops.
Wilson Way

Post by Wilson Way »

It happens to the best of us several years ago filled up a 3ltr BMW with petrol at 2 am and 200 miles from home worse than 50/50 mix had no choice but to go with it listening and worrying running like a tractor it got me home but was never the same after that
2nd time yes 2nd time ................ wife's brand new E350 brimmed it from empty got in the car coffee in hand and thought ?????? i didnt
took my receipt back into the shop and said to the lad please tell me i haven't ... he went YEP !! you'll want this handing me a card that said fuel doctor 30 mins later it was sorted £150 quid plus 2 tanks of fuel :(
toys did include
1971 Volvo P1800E
1985 E30 M3 2.3
S2 E-Type Caterham MGB and virago 1100
now 128-4832 ..... ERY 445L now changed to 3030 MW
One of my favourite quotes “Quality isn't expensive, it's priceless.”
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

A friend of mine has banned his wife from putting fuel in any car, she has wrongly filled hers and his so many times he has lost count.

With the cost of getting it emptied and refuelled he just makes sure both cars have plenty of fuel in.

I suppose if Diesel becomes less common as is likely to happen with the extra taxes and costs it is problem that will disappear.

As much as I can see why people have diesel powered cars it should just be for commercials and farming.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

All so easily done and you would expect an International agreement on something basic such as the colour of petrol pump guns relating to the fuel they deliver.

Why is a black gun unleaded in some countries but Diesel in others?
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

sentimental journey wrote:
NorbertB wrote:New signs are just coming up to avoid mistakes like this, so just choose the circular:
Clipboard01.jpg
After Brexit we will be going back to 5* proper leaded 100 actane fuel and get rid of this namby-pamby unleaded stuff. That's what I've read in my dreams :D
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Kevin Birch wrote:
After Brexit we will be going back to 5* proper leaded 100 actane fuel and get rid of this namby-pamby unleaded stuff. That's what I've read in my dreams :D
You can buy 100 octane Super Unleaded in some places on the continent, I don't know why we cant get it here. The local BP garage reckon about 20% of there petrol sales are Super Unleaded so it must sell well considering the extra it costs.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

They must be doing well then Steve. Nationally in the UK Super Unleaded petrol accounts for only 5% of all petrol sold.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Discussion”