GKN FFF 100, 0-100-0 mph

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
cannonball

Re: GKN FFF 100, 0-100-0 mph

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:
cannonball wrote:Its the Dolomite rear lights, :wink: love this car,

I do not think it did 0-100 in 6.2 seconds I would think maybe 8 dead
Why is that Duncan? No one said it was using regular pump gas or street tyres... The car does seem to be on slicks, and it is just the Hemi, chassis tubes, and a very light body, with a top driver.

Getting to 6 is more about the off, take off that you would not see with a heavy car, 2WD, or 4WD with viscous diff, etc. You get real lock up.
That first second or so, the guy winding it up, then the traction advantage tails off as speed rises. I wonder how heavy the car was. Any idea what size those Wolfrace wheels are?

Let's do some sums... The stock 426 Hemi has more torque than the Mclaren F1, which already makes 6.2 secs. But this is an alloy block KB Hemi with dual quads and all the tricks of the day. Without the glass, interior, tailgate, tinwear, and an alloy KB Hemi manifolds etc, could we could save close to 500kg over a stock FF at 1700kg, say down to 1200 kg??? The car would have been stripped out for testing. Could that engine get over 630HP, and mega ftlbs of torque on special fuel? We already have slicks. Getting rid of the tailgate and bonnet on an FF will save mega mega kgs. We would then have more power, better tyres, more torque and 4WD, compared to a Mclaren F1 of about the same weight. We would be hard pushed to post a worse time. It would need to be heavier than an FF to make 8 seconds+.

The contentious thing here is weight. The specs online have the FFF100 as weighing more than an Interceptor, it looks like they based it on the FF.

I know what it takes to get a car moving from rest, and that 6.2 is just to quick to 100 for this period in time no matter it has 4 wheel drive it can only perform as well or a little bit worse than a correctly set up 2 wheel drive drag race car on slicks, and i know exactly what times/speeds these cars were running and are running, and 8 seconds s about where i would put it thats giving 3.5 secs or there abouts to stop it which is where i feel the FFF being very light will help it more than its acceleration,it probably wheighed around 3,000lbs,i do not think it had slicks or at least not soft wall drag type slicks,race fuel certainly but thats purely for its big compression,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
johnw

Post by johnw »

cannonball wrote: I know what it takes to get a car moving from rest, and that 6.2 is just to quick to 100 for this period in time no matter it has 4 wheel drive it can only perform as well or a little bit worse than a correctly set up 2 wheel drive drag race car on slicks, and i know exactly what times/speeds these cars were running and are running, and 8 seconds s about where i would put it thats giving 3.5 secs or there abouts to stop it which is where i feel the FFF being very light will help it more than its acceleration,it probably wheighed around 3,000lbs,i do not think it had slicks or at least not soft wall drag type slicks,race fuel certainly but thats purely for its big compression,
Looking at the tyres they are changing in the first picture, they are not slicks. Perhaps another 2 seconds for braking is too much in total, especially with the Duo-lock system helping. So if cars like that were running 8, what would they run now, and what has improved?

Would a manual gearbox have helped at all back then, and what about with today's clutch linings and tyres?

I did read somewhere that early 727 style Auto transmissions were better than manual boxes of the day until tyre grip improved with Radial tyres. Is that statement generally agreed to be broadly correct?
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:
cannonball wrote: I know what it takes to get a car moving from rest, and that 6.2 is just to quick to 100 for this period in time no matter it has 4 wheel drive it can only perform as well or a little bit worse than a correctly set up 2 wheel drive drag race car on slicks, and i know exactly what times/speeds these cars were running and are running, and 8 seconds s about where i would put it thats giving 3.5 secs or there abouts to stop it which is where i feel the FFF being very light will help it more than its acceleration,it probably wheighed around 3,000lbs,i do not think it had slicks or at least not soft wall drag type slicks,race fuel certainly but thats purely for its big compression,
Looking at the tyres they are changing in the first picture, they are not slicks. Perhaps another 2 seconds for braking is too much in total, especially with the Duo-lock system helping. So if cars like that were running 8, what would they run now, and what has improved?

Would a manual gearbox have helped at all back then, and what about with today's clutch linings and tyres?

I did read somewhere that early 727 style Auto transmissions were better than manual boxes of the day until tyre grip improved with Radial tyres. Is that statement generally agreed to be broadly correct?
A manual transmission could be quicker but the driver had to be something special and would be a brute banging shifts and probably breaking transmissions or the driveline on most every pass Drag racing is massive in the usa and the ford/chevy /Dodge etc etc would throw money and cars/parts at good racers win on sunday sell on monday so these racers could be so hard on the cars and parts they did not care with factory backing and yes everything moves on so as an example a back in the late 60,s early 70,s superstock 426 hemis made say 550 hp give or take they can now get over 900hp from them still on a iron block so yes the FFF 100 with todays know how better tyres brakes etc etc would murder that record i would think

i just looked this up the bugatti veyron has 1,000 hp weight is 4,162lb so not light The Veyron is Accelerating to 100 mph and back to zero happens in less than nine seconds. ...

so figure if the FFF had 800-1,000 hp from a Hemi now, :D :D :D magic i will take either,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “General Discussion”