engine cooling

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Jean

Re: engine cooling

Post by Jean »

Thank you all.
going to strip my fans down!

Jean
Jean

Post by Jean »

Dear all,
thanks a lot for the valuable advice provided. The overheating of the engine was actually due to the fans sold by Rejen as Bosch, made in China and powering 75 W each. I replaced them with Hella ones (250 W each) et voilà!

See you!

Jean
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Have you also uprated the alternator to cope the extra amp requirement? The standard alternator will struggle with these big fans, it will be OK just with the fans on but with the headlights, wipers and heater fan on you are drawing from the battery.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

I've just come across this thread.
I thought I had a 'hot' engine but after buying a laser thermostat I found I just had a hot-reading dashboard gauge.

Then I had a variable fan speed controller installed which speeds up the fans as the engine gets hotter. Consequently the engine never builds up an amount of latent heat that the water system cannot then cool. This year my CV8 performed faultlessly in 33c temperatures whilst in central London traffic
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Barrie wrote:I've just come across this thread.
I thought I had a 'hot' engine but after buying a laser thermostat I found I just had a hot-reading dashboard gauge.

Then I had a variable fan speed controller installed which speeds up the fans as the engine gets hotter. Consequently the engine never builds up an amount of latent heat that the water system cannot then cool. This year my CV8 performed faultlessly in 33c temperatures whilst in central London traffic
What "variable fan speed controller " system are you using Barrie? It sounds very good..
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Probably the same "Autocool" system as me... and which I would thoroughly recommend.
Steve Payne is your man for this...
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

Mine was made by Delta but I can’t immediately find a web link. However I seem to remember Steve Payne has found another superior type.
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Is it this chap?

http://www.autocoolguy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Frankoid wrote:Is it this chap?

http://www.autocoolguy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nope this is the link :wink: :wink:

http://autocooling.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

Jean wrote:Dear all,
thanks a lot for the valuable advice provided. The overheating of the engine was actually due to the fans sold by Rejen as Bosch, made in China and powering 75 W each. I replaced them with Hella ones (250 W each) et voilà!

See you!

Jean
I do not understand this so called company. Done the same to me with same result. Rejen, never call you back, answer your email. They are the worst communicators I have ever come across in all my years in business. ,
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

The motor with fan blades attached has an optimum location in to pulling air through the shroud. Typlicly if you do not locate the fans correctly depth wise you can deminish the pulling capacity of air through the radiator. Also it is imperative there are no other routes the air coming into the front grill has no other route to go other than the radiator. All is assumed facts all other parts at functioning properly. A smooth radiator hose easily flows the most water RacerJoe
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Took car out for run with new "Auto Cool" set up. Sits in nicely next to the rad with easy access to power supply. Car ran very nice, even in traffic. Thanks Steve for help and advice :D
Attachments
DSC_0368.JPG
DSC_0368.JPG (152.03 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I can also vouch for the autocool gadget.
Why no radiator cowl Frankoid?
I ran mine like yours for ages... the problem / issue is that the fans are only pulling air through the part of the radiator that they're fitted to. Then I fitted a cowl and that makes such a difference.
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

At the moment the fan set up is the original equipment for a MkII FF. I have a MkIII cowl that I am thinking of adding.... I will see how it goes in the heat this summer.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

lets just hope for a summer first Frankoid :D :D :D

Return to “General Discussion”