NEC Clasic car show awards

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Mark Ell

NEC Clasic car show awards

Post by Mark Ell »

Just to remind everyone that the voting is now open for the follow categories for this years NEC clasic car show:

Club personality of the year
Best contribution to charity
Best contribution by a youngster
Club of the year
Lancaster insurance club initiative of the year
Best club run/rally
Best club show/event
Most improved club magazine
Club magazine of the year
Best club website
Best club stand
Best themed club stand
Most interesting selection of cars
Judges special award
Car of the show

The awards were great fun last year however we were not mentioned and it’s a great advert for our great club. I am sure with a joint effort we can get our votes up and grab a few of the above ;-) also I didn’t see anyone from the club at the awards do we take a table? If so pls let me know as I would be interested in a couple of tickets.
128-4562 G Series III interceptor
colin7673
now normal...

Re: NEC Clasic car show awards

Post by colin7673 »

How do you know if the JOC has been mentioned ??
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

For these awards, clubs have to submit an application/nomination themselves into whichever category they want to compete. If no one in the club submits an entry for a particular category you are not in. The winner of any of the awards themselves are not voted on by the public or by readers of the magazines but is given by a panel of judges. Upon what criteria and how they make their choice of winner I have no idea. On that list of awards, four of the last five from Best Club Stand downwards are selected on the day from the clubs present in the event so even if you don't submit in one of the other categories you stand a chance for one of the last 4 awards.
At this time in 2016, I wrote up a 500 word submission for our Turin 50th anniversary run and submitted that into the Best Club Run/Rally category and it won. I also did the same for the 2017 Practical Classics and Restoration show where they also do awards and we won there too :D :D.
If you have submitted an entry and your club is shortlisted for an award you get a couple of complimentary tickets to the dinner and awards event but otherwise you have to buy tickets and they aren't cheap.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Again how do you know if the JOC get nominated in any category or has won ?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

It's up to you to submit the entry. No doubt there are dozens, if not hundreds of entries and from the entries they will select a shortlist in each category.
If your entry is shortlisted for the category they will inform you and invite you to the awards dinner. You will not know you have won until the winner is announced at the dinner.
If no one from the JOC submits an entry, the JOC will not be nominated or shortlisted in any category (excluding the 4 show awards), it cannot be since there is no entry.
For the 4 categories chosen at the show, I have no idea if they tell you that you are shortlisted before the awards dinner or not. If, for example, the JOC is shortlisted for one of the show awards because it has a stand there I presume there must be some method of inviting someone from the stand to attend the dinner otherwise the organisers could end up having a bunch of awards and no one to give them to because the club crews manning the stands had gone elsewhere and that would not look very good from either the organisers point of view or for the audience.
Some clubs attend the dinner as part of the whole event on a routine basis regardless of whether they are taking part in the awards and the club pays for their representatives to do that. The JOC does not.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Mark Ell

Post by Mark Ell »

Last year I was with my mates from another club, it’s good fun. Why does the JOC not attend?
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Mark Ell wrote:Last year I was with my mates from another club, it’s good fun. Why does the JOC not attend?
I believe the committee does not consider attending the dinner "as a jolly" to be a good use of members funds.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Mark Ell

Post by Mark Ell »

It never occurred to me that clubs use club funds to attend. I was under the impression that everyone pays their own way, at least I would be willing to.

Return to “General Discussion”