Recommendations for repairing my 1973 Interceptor 3 ?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Chrismpowell2010

Recommendations for repairing my 1973 Interceptor 3 ?

Post by Chrismpowell2010 »

I have a 1973 Interceptor 3 which I have owned since 1997. I have just pulled her out of long term storage , and although she is still complete and runs , the bodywork has suffered appallingly . There must be something about these cars as my Jag which was stored in the same conditions has not even developed rust on the wheel arches . The Jensen's floor has fallen out !! The only good news is that I have a spare rust free Florida import rolling body shell that I purchased a few years back ( and dry stored covered in grease), just in case !

I need to use the forum to find replacement doors/door skins ( bonnet and tail gate have survived) and someone reliable to do the re-shell as I have seen so many horror stories about people who pull the cars apart , never finish them and lose loads of irreplaceable components in the process .

The current shell looks horrible , but was fully restored in the early 90's so may not be as bad as some . I certainly don't plan to discard it .

Any help much appreciated . I live in Hull but if the best person is in Kent I will just trailer as necessary.

All the Best

Chris
Mark1Stu

Re: Recommendations for repairing my 1973 Interceptor 3 ?

Post by Mark1Stu »

Chris,

You seem to have already taken the first sensible steps to a successful restoration. You'll find much advice on this forum - all well intentioned, some conflicting. I always say it's a good idea to triangulate advice. If you're getting the same answer from people, and it squares with what your head is telling you, it's probably right.

Good luck.

Stuart
DPP

Re: Recommendations for repairing my 1973 Interceptor 3 ?

Post by DPP »

start by looking for a good welder to carry out the metalwork if you dont intend to do it yourself, then you will need a good paintshop.
Both of these jobs are more difficult on an Interceptor than more common cars of the era as they were handbuilt.

It will be a long and expensive journey but also rewarding, just take your time and maybe ask other Jensen owners in your area for suggestions who they have used.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430

Return to “General Discussion”