looking for my dads Jensen

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
JRumble

looking for my dads Jensen

Post by JRumble »

Hello I new to the forum and have unfortunately never owned a Jensen, although my Dad had a MK1 and my memories of sitting in the passenger seat roaring through the town have left me with a feeling that any other car is just not good enough. Dad is well past eighty now and he talks more and more about his beloved Jensen and the times he, mum, my sister and I had racing down to the coast.
Can anyone tell me what happened to my Dads Jensen Reg BWE 3H he sold it in early eighties after owning it from 2 yrs old. would love to find it.
I thought I might get photocopies of original invoices to frame for dads birthday, that would be brilliant.I have been in touch with Martin Robey who cannot tell me anything without the chassis numbers. Swansea wont tell me anything either.
regards
John
Clive Bishop

Re: looking for my dads Jensen

Post by Clive Bishop »

The reg number is not listed with DVLA, which means at the very least, the number is not on the car now.
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
Grant

Post by Grant »

JRumble wrote:Hello I new to the forum and have unfortunately never owned a Jensen, although my Dad had a MK1 and my memories of sitting in the passenger seat roaring through the town have left me with a feeling that any other car is just not good enough. Dad is well past eighty now and he talks more and more about his beloved Jensen and the times he, mum, my sister and I had racing down to the coast.
Can anyone tell me what happened to my Dads Jensen Reg BWE 3H he sold it in early eighties after owning it from 2 yrs old. would love to find it.
I thought I might get photocopies of original invoices to frame for dads birthday, that would be brilliant.I have been in touch with Martin Robey who cannot tell me anything without the chassis numbers. Swansea wont tell me anything either.
regards
John
Hello John :wink:
I just love these stories.. I wish my Dad had a Jensen when I was a kid!!Image. Your Dad was obviously a bit of chap back then!! :P I used to look at them as a kid, particularly one most days on the way to school, it was a MK2, I then bought one when I was 18 and my dad went berzerk!! he promptlyImage, but it didn't put me offImage.. I am 53 now and have had one ever since :lol: , someone will be along soon to let you know the chassis number your Dads one was.. I wish you luck in your search :wink:
Welcome in and kind regards... GrantImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Richard Calver

INT 3527

Post by Richard Calver »

That would be 115/3527. I believe it is in the USA now.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
RAP72
V8 Lover

Re: INT 3527

Post by RAP72 »

Richard Calver wrote:That would be 115/3527. I believe it is in the USA now.
not on the survivors list so if you find it let me know
johnw

Post by johnw »

I was speaking to my elder brother Tom, who bought a Mk1 Interceptor from new "as soon as they came out". He says it was a very early one! He changed his cars every year, but kept the Jensen for a couple of years because he especially liked it. His would likely have been a Sheffield registration as well. One of my dad's Jags had a BWE reg... However as that is a 68 reg, it is probably slightly too new. I would imagine it came from Endcliffe Motors, on Ecclesall road. That name seems to ring a bell.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Grant

Post by Grant »

johnw wrote:I was speaking to my elder brother Tom, who bought a Mk1 Interceptor from new "as soon as they came out". He says it was a very early one!
:shock: Good God John :shock: Wow.. He really was a chap to have bought a brandnew one wasn't he... Wonder why he didn't buy a Manual one John?..Never the less.. Brilliant...In all the years I've been into them, I don't think I have ever met anyone who bought a brandnew one, good on him, Mind you, I don't like anything new.. never have, always liked old things for the nostalgia I think it is. :mrgreen:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

Grant wrote:
johnw wrote:I was speaking to my elder brother Tom, who bought a Mk1 Interceptor from new "as soon as they came out". He says it was a very early one!
:shock: Good God John :shock: Wow.. He really was a chap to have bought a brandnew one wasn't he... Wonder why he didn't buy a Manual one John?..Never the less.. Brilliant...In all the years I've been into them, I don't think I have ever met anyone who bought a brandnew one, good on him, Mind you, I don't like anything new.. never have, always liked old things for the nostalgia I think it is. :mrgreen:
I don't know why it wasn't manual. He did say that it was a very capable car, and he was shocked when I said I had 7 FFs. I think he thought I had come into some pretty serious dosh, when in fact I was more interested in driving a couple of FFs as daily drivers, and researching the others, collecting missing parts. At least 2 were in the line for scrapping at Medways. FFs were still a decent fast car for the money, much cheaper than a V8 Audi Quattro! :D I did ask if it was manual and was surprised when he said no. He had a "modern" Porsche 356 in his teens and he rallied that. I have seen some pictures of him in a pre war car doing hill climbs. So he had classics as well (early 70s I guess).
Last edited by johnw on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:
Grant wrote:
I don't know why it wasn't manual. He did say that it was a very capable car, and he was shocked when I said I had 7 FFs. :D I did ask if it was manual and was surprised when he said no. He had a "modern" Porsche 356 in his teens and he rallied that. I have seen some pictures of him in a pre war car doing hill climbs. So he had classics as well (early 70s I guess).

You are mentioned occasionally in Ulrics last book from memory John is that correct, you had a project ff you wanted to put a sixpack on ?????????? i have a strong urge to fit one of my Hemi,s in to my FF,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
JRumble

Post by JRumble »

are you saying this is the chassis number to BWE 3H and it is in america?
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

JRumble wrote:
are you saying this is the chassis number to BWE 3H and it is in america?
Yes he is that statement is made by King Richard, the real guru off Jensens He knows most all about them,, google, Richard Calver, 8) 8)
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
JRumble

Post by JRumble »

wow thank you I shall google him now. looking forward to coming to some meets, hopefully I can get my Dad out. I have a photo of him with his car will get it posted.
johnw

Post by johnw »

cannonball wrote: You are mentioned occasionally in Ulrics last book from memory John is that correct, you had a project FF you wanted to put a sixpack on ?????????? i have a strong urge to fit one of my Hemi,s in to my FF,,
Pleased I got a mention! I owned FF 255 which had the motor rebuilt by Geoff Hauser, massive gorgeous headers, and a 383 six pack on an alloy Edelbrock 383 manifold. Still using the original FF 383 block. The previous owner of that was a lawyer who spent his firms money on it, then split from his firms partner over the spending. The transfer box was in pieces when I got it, and the 727 missing. I sold it with a complete solid looking FF transmission I got from Medway. Sounds like it would have been right up your street the way I got it. Personally I wouldn't go much further than a six pack these days. With a hemi you might have trouble with clearance for the exhaust headers, and end up with a compromise and a really hot cabin area?
I think a six pack would be ideal for a street FF, because it just sipps fuel from the centre carb in traffic.

I did look at these back in the day: http://www.stagev.com/pages/hcheads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
440assy.jpg
440assy.jpg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
Hugh Wainright apparently used those on his personal car (Fack Pack option), so they were factory options in that sense, but the 440 would have been smack in the middle of the engine bay, not slightly offset, and there were issues with clearance on the heads which required mods to the inner wings I seem to recall (Keith knew the full story).

Why not have a go at building an FFF100? That MUST have a hemi. Two people have built FF chassis from scratch that I know of, there must be many more restorations that come close. One was a friend of Tom Skillaine who worked for the MOD. He used wider chassis tubes to make it stiffer but without adding too much weight, and reinforced the front engine frame to reduce twist and stiffen the suspension/wishbone mounts. It was a very discrete mod to the frame.There are quite a few engine frames for FFs floating about. I had two spares at one point, one was brand new.
Grant

Post by Grant »

johnw wrote:
cannonball wrote: You are mentioned occasionally in Ulrics last book from memory John is that correct, you had a project FF you wanted to put a sixpack on ?????????? i have a strong urge to fit one of my Hemi,s in to my FF,,
Pleased I got a mention! I owned FF 255 which had the motor rebuilt by Geoff Hauser, massive gorgeous headers, and a 383 six pack on an alloy Edelbrock 383 manifold. Still using the original FF 383 block. The previous owner of that was a lawyer who spent his firms money on it, then split from his firms partner over the spending. The transfer box was in pieces when I got it, and the 727 missing. I sold it with a complete solid looking FF transmission I got from Medway. Sounds like it would have been right up your street the way I got it. Personally I wouldn't go much further than a six pack these days. With a hemi you might have trouble with clearance for the exhaust headers, and end up with a compromise and a really hot cabin area?
I think a six pack would be ideal for a street FF, because it just sipps fuel from the centre carb in traffic.

I did look at these back in the day: http://www.stagev.com/pages/hcheads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
440assy.jpg
Hugh Wainright apparently used those on his personal car (Fack Pack option), so they were factory options in that sense, but the 440 would have been smack in the middle of the engine bay, not slightly offset, and there were issues with clearance on the heads which required mods to the inner wings I seem to recall (Keith knew the full story).

Why not have a go at building an FFF100? That MUST have a hemi. Two people have built FF chassis from scratch that I know of, there must be many more restorations that come close. One was a friend of Tom Skillaine who worked for the MOD. He used wider chassis tubes to make it stiffer but without adding too much weight, and reinforced the front engine frame to reduce twist and stiffen the suspension/wishbone mounts. It was a very discrete mod to the frame.There are quite a few engine frames for FFs floating about. I had two spares at one point, one was brand new.
I think Duncan ended up with that Motor of Hugh's John :wink:
Talking of Tom Scallane, John, ... I still see Paul who worked with him, I see him at least once a week :) Do you remember Paul?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Grant wrote:
johnw wrote:

440assy.jpg

I think Duncan ended up with that Motor of Hugh's John :wink:
Talking of Tom Scallane, John, ... I still see Paul who worked with him, I see him at least once a week :) Do you remember Paul?
Yes Grant i did have the 440 based stage v Hemi head conversion motor that was in the wainright car, , and also built another 440 based block at 535 cubic inches using also a set of stage v engineering heads that one made great power but the 440 block was stressed at that power level so had to move on to a correct Hemi block and sold the conversion engines on,
I disagree John a Hemi FF would be the pinnacle and done correctly would be a wonderfull machine,, would need to aquire a glass hood though as at the new prices for poor quality i would not butcher my hood, and i allso doubt you could find a FF rolling chassis now ???????????
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “General Discussion”