looking for my dads Jensen

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Grant

Re: looking for my dads Jensen

Post by Grant »

cannonball wrote:and i also doubt you could find a FF rolling chassis now ???????????
I think John said he had 7 FF's Dunc :shock: .. Guess he could use one of thoseImagemaybe if you ask him nicely he may donate one free of charge Dunc?..Image JOHNImage,..Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Grant wrote:
cannonball wrote:and i also doubt you could find a FF rolling chassis now ???????????
I think John said he had 7 FF's Dunc :shock: .. Guess he could use one of thoseImagemaybe if you ask him nicely he may donate one free of charge Dunc?..Image JOHNImage,..Image

now that would be cool, i can find a similar body to the fff 100 maybe a lotus eclat and the hemi :wink:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
ajc9415

Re: INT 3527

Post by ajc9415 »

Richard Calver wrote:That would be 115/3527. I believe it is in the USA now.
According to the records it was metallic fawn with a moorland peat roof. Interior was beige and it left the factory on 28.08.1969. Hopefully that ties up with your memories. One of the last MK1’s produced. Out of interest where abouts in the UK are you? There may be events in your area.
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
johnw

Post by johnw »

cannonball wrote: Yes Grant i did have the 440 based stage v Hemi head conversion motor that was in the wainright car, , and also built another 440 based block at 535 cubic inches using also a set of stage v engineering heads that one made great power but the 440 block was stressed at that power level so had to move on to a correct Hemi block and sold the conversion engines on,
I disagree John a Hemi FF would be the pinnacle and done correctly would be a wonderfull machine,, would need to aquire a glass hood though as at the new prices for poor quality i would not butcher my hood, and i allso doubt you could find a FF rolling chassis now ???????????

I think an FFF 100 type vehicle, would be quite a blast. I think you could relatively easily make an FF chassis from tubes as has been done before. Attaching front chassis legs that bolt onto the engine frame is doable. Putting panels on it to make an FF is much more difficult plus there is the added weight. The FF is very modular if you look at it. FFs do still come up cheap but not with a usable chassis so you end up doing the work anyway.

I am interested to know what sort of power the 440 block was getting stressed at. Would a girdle have helped? Where/how was it getting stressed? Do the wedge heads provide more support for the top end of the block than the conversion heads? I wonder if Alloy wedge heads would have the same issues. Were there any issues with the conversion heads themselves, like strange pushrod angles etc?

[Grant I do remember Paul yes, he might not remember me though. We met at a Jensen Club meeting just before I went to Switzerland]
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:
cannonball wrote: Yes Grant i did have the 440 based stage v Hemi head conversion motor that was in the wainright car, , and also built another 440 based block at 535 cubic inches using also a set of stage v engineering heads that one made great power but the 440 block was stressed at that power level so had to move on to a correct Hemi block and sold the conversion engines on,
I disagree John a Hemi FF would be the pinnacle and done correctly would be a wonderfull machine,, would need to aquire a glass hood though as at the new prices for poor quality i would not butcher my hood, and i allso doubt you could find a FF rolling chassis now ???????????

I think an FFF 100 type vehicle, would be quite a blast. I think you could relatively easily make an FF chassis from tubes as has been done before. Attaching front chassis legs that bolt onto the engine frame is doable. Putting panels on it to make an FF is much more difficult plus there is the added weight. The FF is very modular if you look at it. FFs do still come up cheap but not with a usable chassis so you end up doing the work anyway.

I am interested to know what sort of power the 440 block was getting stressed at. Would a girdle have helped? Where/how was it getting stressed? Do the wedge heads provide more support for the top end of the block than the conversion heads? I wonder if Alloy wedge heads would have the same issues. Were there any issues with the conversion heads themselves, like strange pushrod angles etc?

[Grant I do remember Paul yes, he might not remember me though. We met at a Jensen Club meeting just before I went to Switzerland]

Its a known fact in the chrysler engine building world that a 440 can get bad ring seal when making upwards of 700hp due to the block flexing moving around, the best block chrysler gave us is the 400 for building big inch stroket mtrs i should have gone that route with the build, and the strongest block of them all is the Hemi, never had an issue re pushrod angles nor the bottom end hurting itself it was always pressure buildup problems due to the real bad blow by in to the pan,, i eventually half hard blocked it but that did not help much,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

The FFF had a 426 hemi, not a 440.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Chris_R wrote:The FFF had a 426 hemi, not a 440.

Who said it had a 440 ???????????
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

No one but the discussion seemed to be about doing an FFF type project and someone else said the 440 block has problems with too much power above 700bhp so I just pointed out the original FFF had a 426 Hemi, assuming this is a different block able to handle more power. But then I don't know much about doing lots of power in engines so may be completely irrelevant.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Chris_R wrote:No one but the discussion seemed to be about doing an FFF type project and someone else said the 440 block has problems with too much power above 700bhp so I just pointed out the original FFF had a 426 Hemi, assuming this is a different block able to handle more power. But then I don't know much about doing lots of power in engines so may be completely irrelevant.
i think the confusion lies in that it was mentioned about the old mk3 jensen owned by high wainwright that had a 440 engine but had been fitted with a hemi head conversion the heads do make great power but the 440 block falls short,, yes you are correct the fff 100 had a Hemi it was a superstocker hemi in the region of 600hp from keith black i think,,

trouble with two wheel drive and a stout mtr of the superstock Hemi ilk, is this see below,
Attachments
DART,.jpg
DART,.jpg (318.11 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

My six year old just walked by, saw the picture and said Oh my god, what is THAT? Then he said, can I do a smiley:

:mrgreen:
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

PS Wasn‘t the FFF pretty much undriveable in ordinary circumstances?
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

felixkk wrote:PS Wasn‘t the FFF pretty much undriveable in ordinary circumstances?
Hello Felix, i really do not know, and would dearly love to know, If it was set up purely to go fast and stop in a straight line then yes probably pretty awefull to turn corners lots of our drag cars would be most uncomfortable on the street, like anything you build it to be the best for your application,
COINCIDENCE ????? crazy thing is i was out and about yesterday and ended up in a commercial breakers yard in brummie land, for no real reason, anyway got chatting to the owner he asked me what i was in to i replied mopar drag cars muscle, Jensens and bang he hit me with a big handshake his dad now no longer with us was a top r&d guy with GKN yep his dad worked on that fff 100 he also reckons in his dads garage are lots off nos ff parts and spares and a beetle of all things that has full ff underpinnings should have been scrapped but his dad had it away the bad news is he left everything to this guys older brother and they do not speak period i tried my best but no chance to get to even see what he has stashed, i dont think he was talking bollax as he was to quick to know a good bit on the ff front,, :x :x :x :x :x
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Grant

Post by Grant »

cannonball wrote:
felixkk wrote:PS Wasn‘t the FFF pretty much undriveable in ordinary circumstances?
Hello Felix, i really do not know, and would dearly love to know, If it was set up purely to go fast and stop in a straight line then yes probably pretty awefull to turn corners lots of our drag cars would be most uncomfortable on the street, like anything you build it to be the best for your application,
COINCIDENCE ????? crazy thing is i was out and about yesterday and ended up in a commercial breakers yard in brummie land, for no real reason, anyway got chatting to the owner he asked me what i was in to i replied mopar drag cars muscle, Jensens and bang he hit me with a big handshake his dad now no longer with us was a top r&d guy with GKN yep his dad worked on that fff 100 he also reckons in his dads garage are lots off nos ff parts and spares and a beetle of all things that has full ff underpinnings should have been scrapped but his dad had it away the bad news is he left everything to this guys older brother and they do not speak period i tried my best but no chance to get to even see what he has stashed, i dont think he was talking bollax as he was to quick to know a good bit on the ff front,, :x :x :x :x :x
:shock: What a coincidence with this chat thread Dunc!!.. Unbelievable... Sad about the brother thing though... couldn't you have got his brother's number off him for £50?Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Grant wrote:
cannonball wrote:
:shock: What a coincidence with this chat thread Dunc!!.. Unbelievable... Sad about the brother thing though... couldn't you have got his brother's number off him for £50?Image

I did get this guys business card so I can ring him n try that
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Coupe

Post by Coupe »

will re list in FF Forum
Last edited by Coupe on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”