I think I might give the gym a miss today..

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Mark1Stu

I think I might give the gym a miss today..

Post by Mark1Stu »

With the Interceptor below, I hauled these out of the loft this morning (still 2 complete front seats up there and 2 more front seat backs).

Just need to get the 2 rear seats and side cards out of the house loft, then the leather feed session can begin.

#theclearoutcontinues
Attachments
IMG_20180828_110142.jpg
IMG_20180828_110142.jpg (119.55 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
IMG_20180828_110219.jpg
IMG_20180828_110219.jpg (202.08 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
Grant

Re: I think I might give the gym a miss today..

Post by Grant »

Wicked.. Lovely stuff Stu :wink: .. Are you a Neats foot Oil man Stupot? :shock:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Funnily enough Grant. Just been out to a Tack shop to get some - but it has closed down. I've previously used Autoglym leather balm or Glyptone leather feed - the latter smells the best!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Mark1Stu wrote:Funnily enough Grant. Just been out to a Tack shop to get some - but it has closed down. I've previously used Autoglym leather balm or Glyptone leather feed - the latter smells the best!
Yes I love the Gliptone leather feed too Stu.. It smells scrummy doesn't itImage, but, you may have seen the other thread talking with John W about it... I would like get plenty of neats foot oil in it, then followed by the lovely smellingImage Gliptone,.. funnily enough Stu I believe the man the created the Gliptone liquid had a InterceptorImage, it obviously had crusty hard letaher and so he set about a solution!! :P.. I can't get my head around how any liquid really gets through a surface that has paint on though, I know the original coloured surface is more porous.. but when the paint squad so called connalising agents get near it I feel its all overImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Yes, read the other thread Grant. Thought provoking. While I'm keen to preserve a Jensen how the factory intended, clearly I can't live with or appreciate the same way as John, a leather interior which, while sound, has lost its colour. So as a member of the paint squad, I've always tried to keep as much patination as I can by limiting the amount of paint on the item - and steering away from filling a split or very heavy crack. Preferring instead to have the leather section replaced and all coloured up to match.

As for the paint, I've only used 2 types. Woolies and Furniture clinic. Both are water based so what goes on can be removed. The difference is the sealing layer. Woolies use a paste, Furniture clinic supply a spray on liquid - which you can get in matt through to gloss. Which is more suited to the matt/semi matt finish on modern cars. The Furniture clinic finish is more hardwearing too. Which is why I prefer Woolies. If you carry out a wet test by leaving a globule of water on a Woolies finished item and a Furniture Clinic treated item, the Woolies finish will lighten in colour until it dries out whereas the FC globule just stays there. So to my mind, the old school Woolies kit is more porous thus enabling you to keep the leather supple via ongoing feeding.

Of course, if the refinisher uses filler to cover up cracks etc, the leather seats Ive seen are uniformly smooth and look like plastic. And I can't imagine leather feed would get past that anytime soon. In my limited experience, you need to spend more time getting the old colour off (leather feed certainly softens it making dirt and colour removal easier), and less time applying coats.

I'm not intending to recolour the items in the pictures. Just get them supple, mix and match, and eventually sell on (as Ive got 2 MK3 Interiors as well :oops:
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

A couple of the seat sections already look fantastic after a quick feed. There's something very satisfying giving old leather a new lease of life.
Attachments
IMG_20180828_141750_BURST001_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180828_141750_BURST001_COVER.jpg (170.65 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
IMG_20180828_141742.jpg
IMG_20180828_141742.jpg (185.06 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Are they all Mk1 stuff?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

All MK1 Chris. If you need MK2 items let me know as I know where some maybe for sale and can either ask for you or put you in touch with the guy.
OzJensen
Location: Sydney Australia - after a great few years in the UK!

Post by OzJensen »

Neatsfoot Oil is the best - and when I lived in the UK I ordered it off Amazon and eBay - pour it on and let it soak in to really soften up your leather.

I do all my cars annually here due to the hot conditions and high UV - the Interceptor got done last weekend - used about 500ml including the doors and rear quarter panels.
Tony Cope
JCCA President, JOC Australian Rep
Sydney

CV-8 Mk3 112/2382 ex UK 1973 to USA now Oz
Interceptor Mk 2 123/3957 ex UK 1974 now Oz

M: +61 448 400 160
E: tonywcope@gmail.com
E: president@jcca.org.au
E: australia@joc.org.uk
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Thanks Tony, will do.

It will be an interesting comparison to the expensive stuff I've used thus far.

Stuart
OzJensen

Post by OzJensen »

Stuart - Neatsfoot works the best if you can put the leather in the sun and then pour it on - and then leave in the sun for a few hours while re-feeding the areas that dry out. And I meand pour it on - don't bother with a rag - and use your hands to smear it all over the leather - a side benefit is that your hands will be a smooth as a baby's posterior afterwards!
Tony Cope
Sydney

OzJensen

Post by OzJensen »

PS Took my C-V8 to work today - an hour in rush hour traffic each way with the heavy steering provides an upper body workout no gym can match!
Tony Cope
Sydney

Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

No bingo wings on our Tony :D

Return to “General Discussion”