Page 2 of 3

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:29 pm
by Michael Richardson
Hi Mike. I think Barry should tread with care. I believe the CV8 is at £29500. ..The same figure as new 16 years ago. To put that into perspective,you could get a beautiful Boxter say,for a fraction of that money,or a sports Merc,or a number of soon to appreciate future classics. So the Jensen,albeit rare,should of depreciated at least at the same rate as comparable vehicles. I would value it at cica 5 - 6 K

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm
by Martin R
Michael Richardson wrote:Hi Mike. I think Barry should tread with care. I believe the CV8 is at £29500. ..The same figure as new 16 years ago. To put that into perspective,you could get a beautiful Boxter say,for a fraction of that money,or a sports Merc,or a number of soon to appreciate future classics. So the Jensen,albeit rare,should of depreciated at least at the same rate as comparable vehicles. I would value it at cica 5 - 6 K

But if you want a Jensen S-V8, you will not be able to buy one for 5-6k...

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:41 pm
by cannonball
Those small sportsters are all Hairdressers cars, :wink: :shock: :D

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:15 pm
by Arcnewal
Steve Payne wrote:He was very disappointed in the panel gaps and build quality.

The panel gaps on the prototype S-V8s looked pretty good.

I wonder what happened to cause the production cars to have such bad panel gaps?

http://www.designq.co.uk/home#/jensen-sv8-cv8-1/

Image

Image

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 am
by MikeWilliams
Well, I am amazed. Here is somebody interested in buying a Jensen for the first time and you seem to be telling him not too! I suggest he asks some owners because those I have spoken to love them.

Porsche Boxter indeed!

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:43 am
by AH1951
Arcnewal wrote:
Steve Payne wrote:He was very disappointed in the panel gaps and build quality.

The panel gaps on the prototype S-V8s looked pretty good.

I wonder what happened to cause the production cars to have such bad panel gaps?

http://www.designq.co.uk/home#/jensen-sv8-cv8-1/

Image

Image



Weren't the prototypes built with glass fibre panels?
In which case it's easy to custom fettle them for a tight fit with small, consistent panel gaps.
It's a different matter with pressed aluminium or mild steel panels.

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:20 am
by RockyUSA
I would like to add one to my (small) collection!

Rocky

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:26 am
by slotcarone
RockyUSA wrote:I would like to add one to my (small) collection!

Rocky

Hi Rocky
You are just like me in that you seem to desire the unusual in cars! I would not mind owning one either. Now there is a car you will not ever pass on the road going the other way! Come to think of it in the 31 years I have had my Interceptor that has never happened except at a club event! :)

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:57 pm
by colin7673
I would also like to have one, as I think they look gorgeous, but having driven one, I can't see though the windscreen I have to have the roof down and look over the top.. :x :lol:

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm
by Martin R
colin7673 wrote:I would also like to have one, as I think they look gorgeous, but having driven one, I can't see though the windscreen I have to have the roof down and look over the top.. :x :lol:

I found the same in an E-Type Jag I recent rode in. Roof down, looking over the top of the windscreen! The top of the screen is right in my line-of-sight...

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:31 pm
by RockyUSA
It gives us a chance to wear the fancy leather goggles we all own!

Those things make me feel like a tall Juan Manuel Fangio.

Rocky

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:40 am
by Dion
Aren't we all waiting for a comment from Keith, the known guru on this subject? :D

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 pm
by Michael Richardson
Mike Williams..if you are still following this thread...I am so sorry that my comments upset you ! ..re the Boxter and others. However,as a motor dealer,I have to look at the global market,and still do for many collectable cars,and try to understand the ups and downs of the marketplace. I would never try to talk someone out of buying their dream car,but I would always hope that they paid a realistic price.

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 am
by MikeWilliams
Not upset Mike, just curious.

Any comments from the original enquirer? Are you still interested in one?

Re: Jensen GT 4.7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 pm
by wheel-turner
This is now showing as sold on the dealer's website so hopefully Barry (Drazzi) wasn't put off by some of the negative remarks in earlier posts.

For the record the original listed price shown in Autocar was £38950. It may have sold quicker if the dealer had got the description right and advertised it as an S-V8 with a 4.6 litre engine. I'm guessing that this was one of the highest mileage S-V8s out there (unless someone knows otherwise?)so the asking price would suggest that the depreciation expected has not materialised. I believe that the last one to sell prior to this went for £40K.

I can only speak as a satisfied owner having had mine for over 2 years now. I have ridden in a Boxster and yes, they are very good cars but come with big bills when anything goes wrong and certainly don't turn heads or generate interest at shows the way an S-V8 does. The best bit, apart from the fun of driving it and listening to that glorious noise, is that it is simple to work on with only one PCM on the engine to contend with on the computer front.

Cheers all.

Gavin C (definitely not a hairdresser!!) :D