Hello from a 'Newbie'

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
AdeTCV8

Hello from a 'Newbie'

Post by AdeTCV8 »

Hi,
I have very recently joined your Club (10 minutes ago) and registered for the forum. Hello.
I was lucky enough to have bought the red CV8 at the recent Brightwells auction in Bicester on June 24th this year and now have the task of bringing it back to life on the road.
It's new home is close to Bradford, West Yorkshire. It has been off the road for 22 years so 'needs some re-commissioning' in Auctioneers speak which should be translated into needing to be pretty much taken to pieces.
The engine runs (seemingly well) and the car drives though one (yes only one) brake caliper is sticking badly. I have driven it around 200 yards!
So the plan is to get the beast running to a state where it would pass an MOT and then drive it for a few hundred miles to check how the engine and gearbox perform, and how many oil leaks I have. It will then be taken to my workshop and pretty much everthing dismantled, largely because it needs re-painting but also to completely expose the steel areas of the chassis and associated parts for some welding. The interior is tired with hard and cracked leather with a few tears in places. Its certainly not a basket case but it needs attention rust wise to the front floor pans and the lower bulkhead on the off side, together with some attention to the inner cill area just front of the rear wheels. The rest seems remarkably solid (famous last words). At least if i get it on the road first I can tackle everything at once since any gremlins will hopefully have revealed themselves after a thorough road test.
My aim is to have it back together and on the road again by next summer subject to work committments which are often eratic.
So I am afraid I am going to ask for something in my very first post.
It seems a lot of information about every Jensen produced is contained within the now unobtainable book by Richard Calver. The details I have about my CV8 are as follows:
1964, Chassis No 104/2199, red, current reg 839 HYU. Engine No; 200/4 V8.
I understand 'the book' might give me other information such as exactly when it was sold, precise colour, who it might have been sold to, initial reg number etc. I know it was sold by Follets in London becuase the cills bear the brass plate suggesting such. I also know this particular car was in Northern Ireland at some point before being brought back to England in 1982 because i have a couple of old MOT's from NI. It was then owned by a Peter Everett near Axebridge in 1989, and then sold to Richard Cross in Bury St Edmunds in 1994 who owned it right up to 2018 when it was sold to me, though was unused for 22 years.
I'd love to get as much history about this particular car as possible so if you could help that would be great. I am not sure what the etiquette is regarding quoting sections of the said 'book' or whether someone can only provide this information for a fee. Guidence appreciated.
Looking forward to the challenge!
Thanks very much in advance.
Ade. :D
CV8 MkII reg 839 HYU 104/2199 Engine No. 200 V8
1971 S3 E type, 1949 Studebaker 2R5, 1948 Studebaker M5, 1964 VW Split Camper,1965 VW split pickup, 1979 Leyland Leopard supreme IV Coach,
1982 GSX1100 Katana, and a wife with constantly
rolling eyes :roll:
Helen

Re: Hello from a 'Newbie'

Post by Helen »

Welcome to the JOC. I am sure John Staddon the CV8 Registrar will be in touch very soon. He is the fount of all knowledge regarding C-V8's. You may be interested to know that most of the Yorkshire members will be at the Newby Hall Classic Car Show near Ripon tomorrow. If you want to come along I am sure you will be able to meet people and pick their brains!
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
ajc9415

Post by ajc9415 »

Hi Ade, welcome to Jensen ownership and the club. No doubt many trials and tribulations along the way but it will all be worth it.
The Chassis Data Book doesn’t give too much information about your car. It confirms that the engine number you have is the original. The original body colour was “deep carriage green” with a green interior. It was Ex factory on 1st July 1964 and delivered to the U.K.
All the best.
Adrian
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Welcome
You could also get a service history about your car from Martin Robeys in Nuneaton, as he has all the serivice history from the Jensen Factory.. I think is about £20 ... but don’t quote me on the price
Let’s hope you don’t have too many issues
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
AdeTCV8

Post by AdeTCV8 »

Hi,
Thanks very much for the info. I'll chase up the service history via Robeys.

Sadly I can't make Newby Hall today, but will try to get along to something local in the near future.

Regards
Ade
1971 S3 E type, 1949 Studebaker 2R5, 1948 Studebaker M5, 1964 VW Split Camper,1965 VW split pickup, 1979 Leyland Leopard supreme IV Coach,
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

I have sent Adrian the details of his car by email, and also a copy of the service file (I thought everyone knew that Robey doesn't have the C-V8 service files, the JOC has them).

I have asked Adrian to clarify the issue of MOTs issued in Northern Ireland as if they were issued prior to 1982 they don't fit the known sequence of owners as the owner in Northern Ireland bought the car in 1992 (he was a JOC member and gives the date of his acquisition on his membership application form).

According to the Chassis data Book the ex-factory date was actually 23.06.1964, I'm never quite sure where Richard got these dates from as there is nothing I have that gives them, the car had a 'pre-test' on 03.06.1964, went 'on-test' on 05.06.1964, there is no date given for 'off-test' (the test sheet has boxes to be filled in for both these dates) but it was sold to it's first owner on 30.06.1964 through Chas Folletts.

John

p.s The engine number is 200/4V, not 200/4V8, the 8 seems to have been added by a previous owner in around 1982 and it has stuck!
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
ajc9415

Post by ajc9415 »

Sorry, John is correct re the date. My eyes must have got crossed going across the page and the interior is listed as beige.
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

John Staddon wrote: I thought everyone knew that Robey doesn't have the C-V8 service files, the JOC has them.
Well you know what thought did?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
AdeTCV8

Post by AdeTCV8 »

Hi,
Yes, the engine number on the block itself is indeed without the '8' so 200/4V, although it took me quite a while to find it even though I had read from forum posts that it was forward of the LH cylinder head i couldn't initially see it! I still can't find the one lower down where the sump meets the block, but its good to have located the one at the top end just for confirmation its the original block.

The service file is a nice thing to look through too even though it lasts only 2 years.

Thanks to all for the info. Very helpful indeed.

Regards
Ade :)
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

And we sorted out the apparent problem with the dates on the MOT certificates, they are from the early 1990s and so agree with the info I have, and Ade corrected the spelling of one owners name that had been entered incorrectly on the old card index system. If owner number 4 was correct when he said he was owner number 4, and not just the fourth known owner, then Ade has a complete list of owners since new, I like that - though I have to say that I would be surprised if the first owner hung on to the car for as long as he would have had to to make the record complete, but some first owners did keep their car for years so it's possible.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
SRS2000

Post by SRS2000 »

Hi Ade a warm welcome from us in JOC North West, as we are next door Yorkshire and North West area tend to meet up. Regards
Interceptor MK1 115/2937 (1968) YBP 5G (Genghis)

Return to “General Discussion”